Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreement Start Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is less than three years old and I always planned on purchasing the Extended Service Agreement (ESA) after my original warranty expired. However, I just realized that with close to 50,000 miles I may need to purchase the ESA in the next 30-45 days.

Am I correct that I must get it within 30 days of hitting 50,000 miles even though I am only in year 3? If so, how would Tesla know when I hit 50,000 miles?

Finally, is the general consensus that the ESA is worth it especially since I plan on keeping the care for many more years?

From Teslas website Service plans
You may purchase Extended Service up to 30 days prior to the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Extended Service provides an additional 4 years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first), of coverage after the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty to cover the repair or replacement of Model S parts due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla, excluding the vehicle’s lithium-ion battery. Extended Service is not dependent on purchasing a Tesla Service Plan. See the Extended Service Terms and Conditions for further details.

So, since you are hitting 50k miles before 4 years, you need to purchase the ESA within 30 days before you hit 50k. Tesla will know the miles when you go to purchase the plan. If you are outside the window, they won't sell it to you.

[QUOTE="Az_Rael, post: 1557912, member: 42733"

So, since you are hitting 50k miles before 4 years, you need to purchase the ESA within 30 days before you hit 50k. Tesla will know the miles when you go to purchase the plan. If you are outside the window, they won't sell it to you.[/QUOTE]

That makes no sense. How are they going to know how many more days it will take you to hit 50K????

"We're sorry, but we won't sell you the extended warranty because you're going to hit 50K miles in 27 days" ;)

You have until 30 days before the 4 year mark is up if you haven't exceeded 50K miles yet.

So, since you are hitting 50k miles before 4 years, you need to purchase the ESA within 30 days before you hit 50k. Tesla will know the miles when you go to purchase the plan. If you are outside the window, they won't sell it to you.

That makes no sense. How are they going to know how many more days it will take you to hit 50K????

"We're sorry, but we won't sell you the extended warranty because you're going to hit 50K miles in 27 days" ;)

You have until 30 days before the 4 year mark is up if you haven't exceeded 50K miles yet.
Logically this must mean --
1) Buy ESA at least 30 days before 50k
2) If you are at 49999 right now, stop the car, buy the ESA and don't drive it for 30 days.

Pretty sure they cut ya some slack, but those are the letter of it.

Logically this must mean --
1) Buy ESA at least 30 days before 50k
2) If you are at 49999 right now, stop the car, buy the ESA and don't drive it for 30 days.

Pretty sure they cut ya some slack, but those are the letter of it.

You mean buy the ESA and make sure you don't hit 50K before the next 30 days? So they the could retroactively revoke the the ESA after selling it to you if you hit 50K before 30 days. Um, no.

The wording on the "my tesla" section, where you sign up for the extended service plan, is quite clear:
"Pre-paid annual service plans are available for purchase up until sixty days after delivery. The Extended Service Agreement may be purchased no later than thirty days past the expiration of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

So, depending on which comes first, it's either 4 years + 30 days after you got the car, or 30 days after you hit 50,000 miles. As for "how does tesla know when you reached 50k miles?" - apart from the logs In the car that probably go back 30 days, they can always calculate an average 30 day mileage over the time you had the car and add that to the 50k and as long as you're under, you're good.