Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All.

I know this comes down ultimately to my appetite for risk but I'd like to know what others think of the Extended Service Agreement deal from Tesla? I can't seem to open the details from Tesla.com at the moment (browser reporting too many redirects after I log-in) and so I can't see the current price. I understand they offer two years/25000 miles or four years/50000 miles though.

My Model S 90D will be coming up to 4 years in the next few months and the odometer will probably be around the 30k mark. I presume the 50000 miles is applied against the mileage on the day that the extended package commences (i.e. covering me to 30k+50k=80k miles)? rather than just being to 50k on the odometer (which would only be for about 20k miles for me and unlikely to be a good deal unless they reduce the price accordingly)?

Has anyone had any experience of how well it is honoured? Is it really like extending the warranty or is it applied like an insurance company with small print exemptions that seem to exclude everything?

Cheers.

Dave

I also can't get to anything relating to Extended Service Agreement/Warranty after logging in, with the same error. Other parts of the Tesla website work fine.

It would appear it is not available for the UK market.

Thanks, that works for you because you are in the USA, this is the UK forum, the link will not work for anyone who has their account set to the UK.

A UK owner can reach the link by setting their account to USA, but that isn't all that helpful obviously as pricing etc. is different...

upload_2020-6-7_16-15-55.png

Tesla need to do something around this, currently ownership of an out of warranty Tesla is very unappealing and if the brand gets a reputation for being expensive to run after that period it could make it less appealing vs other EV competitors or ICE's and it'll devalue the car significantly in the second hand market.

I guess this hasnt had much time to become a problem in the UK, yet.

Hmmm. That was unexpected. It definitely was available in the UK when I did all my man-maths that justified why a Tesla Model S made economic sense. If they've withdrawn it,that is a worry because that obviously would have been been calculating that they are losing money on it which means, for the rest of us, that the average Tesla is expensive to maintain.

Model S has been on sale in the UK for about 6 years now...
With amazingly low numbers to date, the reality has shifted big time with the Model 3 selling thousands every month vs 100-150 model S’s.

So give it 4 years when the model 3s all come out of warranty and if something hasn’t changed the second hand appeal will be dreadful because people buying second hand Standard Range’s can’t afford £1000’s for hefty MCU repairs (or whatever the equivalent costly fault will be)

... because people buying second hand Standard Range’s can’t afford £1000’s for hefty MCU repairs (or whatever the equivalent costly fault will be)

The battery and drive unit warranty runs for 8 years and on the 3 I'm not sure what exactly is going to be failing that is expensive, so I think it is a little early to be predicting the demise of the second-hand market...

There was at least on 3rd party warranty on sale as well, not sure if that is still around and if it will cover the 3...

Model S has been on sale in the UK for about 6 years now...

Extended warranty with Allianze as partner was available till about early Jan 2020.

Prior to that if cost about £4k for another 4 years/50k I think, might have been £2k cannot remember.

But since Jan 2020 there has been no offical extended warranty from Tesla, I would bet it will come back at some point though. Hopefully before the 4 year warranty ends on our X in autumn 2021.

The battery and drive unit warranty runs for 8 years and on the 3 I'm not sure what exactly is going to be failing that is expensive, so I think it is a little early to be predicting the demise of the second-hand market...

MCU1 failures are very common now, as is the AC unit. Air suspension is also guaranteed failure at some point, and I've had work done on the drivers/passenger doors on the X three times in less than 35k miles- FWD have been fine though. Seat replacements also seem to come up, my drivers seat has already been replaced once.

Alot of that probably doesn't apply to the 3 which is what Tesla sells mainly these days, so maybe they don't feel the need to offer any more warranty?

MCU1 failures are very common now, as is the AC unit. Air suspension is also guaranteed failure at some point, and I've had work done on the drivers/passenger doors on the X three times in less than 35k miles- FWD have been fine though. Seat replacements also seem to come up, my drivers seat has already been replaced once.

Alot of that probably doesn't apply to the 3 which is what Tesla sells mainly these days, so maybe they don't feel the need to offer any more warranty?

My wife's Lexus is 9 years old and I just bought another 2 year Lexus warranty for £500 per year. Lexus really stands behind its quality. It's nice to have in case an expensive fix comes up. I really hope Tesla brings back this option, even though there appears to be less to go wrong on an M3 (no air suspension, falcon doors, etc...) [before anyone comments on my wife's car being old and mine being new she's waiting for the Cybertruck!]

I found this confirming the cessation of the Extended Service through Allianz. https://policierung.allianz-warranty.com/teslaSales/salesNew

Good news though, there is now a new scheme on the Tesla site and you get a quote straight away. Extended Warranty

My quote came out out at £3358 for 4 years and there do not seem to be any caveats that are too scary. It is transferable for private sales too. I've signed up for peace of mind.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and gangzoom
There are no Tesla extended service agreements for the M3, they are third party. As referenced above the S & X extended agreements are simply extensions of Tesla's new manufacturers warranty and the wording is no more vague for the extended warranty than the new warranty.

Experience tells me that the most dangerous and worthless extended warranties are third party warranties.

There are no Tesla extended service agreements for the M3, they are third party. As referenced above the S & X extended agreements are simply extensions of Tesla's new manufacturers warranty and the wording is no more vague for the extended warranty than the new warranty.

Experience tells me that the most dangerous and worthless extended warranties are third party warranties.
I had a very good experience a few years ago with Home – Car Care Plan - I bought a three year old Lexus RX450h which was from a leasing company and shortly after purchase it became apparent it needed a new steering column and rear suspension set up (previous owner must have taken it on the Paris Dakkar rally) - they coughed up the full £8k.