Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried searching for relevant posts in the last 12-18 months but didn't find anything. Tesla is notoriously capricious with their their practices, prices, etc so I wanted to get an updated discussion on what people think about the Extended Service Agreement (ESA)?

My MS comes out of warranty in December of this year. I have ~21k miles as of now. The ESA is $2100 for 2 years/25k miles. Is it worth getting? How generous/stingy is Tesla with claims? Any relevant experience or feedback would be appreciated!

Not sure what year u have ..I had a P85D out of warranty up to 65k miles ...only thing that broke was a charger port that was replaced under warranty at 30k miles ...my current X I have close to 100k miles ..I had to replace a AC compressor at 70k miles at a cost of $2500 ...I drive a lot so the ESA wouldn’t last me 2 years ..it all depends on how many miles u put ..if it will last 2 years for you the cost seems low

Not sure what year u have ..I had a P85D out of warranty up to 65k miles ...only thing that broke was a charger port that was replaced under warranty at 30k miles ...my current X I have close to 100k miles ..I had to replace a AC compressor at 70k miles at a cost of $2500 ...I drive a lot so the ESA wouldn’t last me 2 years ..it all depends on how many miles u put ..if it will last 2 years for you the cost seems low
December 2016 MS (AP2 upgraded to HW3). I don't drive much, less than 10k/year. So the warranty will easily last 2 years.

I have not had any major warranty claims yet but I worry about something going wrong (IC, infotainment, AP, etc). Also have had a fair bit of smaller, nit issues which would be nice to get fixed under the ESA.

The ESA probably would be good fit for u than ..in my case it would have lasted me a few months only ..not sure if u are planning on doing an MCU2 upgrade that wouldn’t be covered if ur MCU1 fails they would replace with mcu1 only ..my other two S’s in general were reliable but if your not driving much not sure what would necessarily fail other than the Emmc chip in the mcu

...How generous/stingy is Tesla with claims? Any relevant experience or feedback would be appreciated!

I had 3 ESA repairs. Tesla was very courteous and even waived all the deductibles for my 2012 Model S.

1) Gen1 Mobile Connector: signs of overheating at contact points: Pre-emptively replaced. In the old days, that would easily cost over $500. It's much cheaper now.

2) 17" Screen Bubbles: The whole set of screen and computer was pre-emptively replaced. In the old days, that would easily cost over $4,000. It's much cheaper now to just replace the screen alone, then replace the motherboard of the computer later at the end of life of the eMMC memory chip.

3) Cabin heater: Nice cold air but no heat for passengers. It's worth $4,500.

I don't think my above car repairs are unique after 50,000 miles.

The central screen has a computer built-in end-of-life eMMC memory chip that rarely dies during warranty but quite popular after that.

My philosophy of buying ESA is to pay to limit the repair cost to a known amount of dollars. If my car won't need repairs, the worst I would lose is the ESA price.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BBB4000 and P85_DA
...some other factor?

It was early days when profits were not emphasized but now is a different time with a profit emphasis.

Notice that the first 2 repairs were "pre-emptive" actions as everything was still working fine and there's no need for immediate repairs at all. They were "pre-emptive" when I took my car in for a scheduled Annual Maintenance (which no longer required) and they told me since I paid for my Annual Maintenance already, there's no sense in slapping additional deductible fees on me.

The heater then failed 2 weeks before my next scheduled Annual Maintenance and I waited for it too.

...dependent on service center...

I think it also depends on the local Service Center. They can exercise "goodwill" or "courtesy" as they wish.

• Informative
Reactions: hh83917 and BBB4000