Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreements & Maintenance Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on keeping my MS for over 8 years, so I did get the Service Plan. At the time I had to get it at the time I took delivery, so I pulled the trigger and baked the cost into my financing. It has worked great. I like getting the annual service and not paying anything now. I will be getting the extended warranty when the original warranty expires. That is really worth it. Just replaced my entire drive unit with only 35K miles on it. No muss, no fuss. Just did it. Many would debate the warranty extension. Personally I see it as another level of car insurance.

With our late 2012 S P85, I purchased the 4 year/50K mile extended warranty and the 8 year/100K mile service plan. With over 85K miles on our S P85, I don't regret making that purchase - and the cost of those purchases was baked into my cost estimates when I compared purchasing the S P85 vs. purchasing other luxury vehicles (which would have higher lifetime fuel and service costs).

For our new S 100D, I've already purchased the 4 year/50K mile extended warranty - and the 4 year/50K mile service plan. They no longer offer the 8 year service plan - if they did, would have ordered it - and locked in our service costs for the first 8 years/100K miles. I'm hoping that Tesla will allow us to purchase an additional 4 years/50K miles of service after the first service plan expires.

One significant improvement in the new extended warranty plan is the inclusion of the Tesla Road Assistance after the first 4 years/50K miles. Last summer we had a frunk latch failure in the middle of Kansas and required towing to the KC Service Center. Since the extended warranty didn't include Road Assistance, we were responsible for the towing charge; fortunately our insurance covered it. The extended warranty now includes Road Assistance - and help with the towing (with companies that know how to tow a Tesla).

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap
Anyone have experience with the extended service plans in leasing the Model S? Worth it then or not? If everything is covered in the annual checkup and warranty of the car till 50,000 miles, don't see why it would be required.

Maybe I'm missing something.

I plan on keeping my MS for over 8 years, so I did get the Service Plan. At the time I had to get it at the time I took delivery, so I pulled the trigger and baked the cost into my financing. It has worked great. I like getting the annual service and not paying anything now. I will be getting the extended warranty when the original warranty expires. That is really worth it. Just replaced my entire drive unit with only 35K miles on it. No muss, no fuss. Just did it. Many would debate the warranty extension. Personally I see it as another level of car insurance.