Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Agreements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of us have our "New Vehicle Limited Warranty" expired already. For unknown reason I still cannot get the details of or purchase this extended agreement till now. Am in contact with Tesla HK and waiting for their reply. Just wondering is there any catch under this plan? Anyone who purchased it can share here?

Think of it more as an extended insurance and not as an extended warranty many assume it is.

It does not cover basic things like rattling noises, etc... like the "New Vehicle Limited Warranty" which you get with New Cars as well as CPOs.. but it will cover the bigger failures like the MCU

The catch is that you will need to do annual service AT Tesla for the next 4 years to continue to qualify for the "Extended Warranty", altho recent news says Tesla is moving away from this model, you are best to read your contract when you purchase the warranty, so you do not give yourself nasty surprises.

I don't think the new vehicle limited warranty covers rattles either. Neither will cover "consumable" parts.
"New Vehicle Limited Warranty", most definitely covers rattles as I have had my A/B Pillars and Pano Roof serviced or replaced several times... either I complained or Tesla proactively serviced or replaced...

Altho it should be fairly obvious that "consumables" are not covered... but having said that... I would have considered the 12volt lead acid battery to be "consumable" as well... but they also replace that free of charge while under "New Vehicle Limited Warranty". This is one of those things they do not replace for free under the "Extended Warranty"

"New Vehicle Limited Warranty", most definitely covers rattles as I have had my A/B Pillars and Pano Roof serviced or replaced several times... either I complained or Tesla proactively serviced or replaced...

Altho it should be fairly obvious that "consumables" are not covered... but having said that... I would have considered the 12volt lead acid battery to be "consumable" as well... but they also replace that free of charge while under "New Vehicle Limited Warranty". This is one of those things they do not replace for free under the "Extended Warranty"

Here is the New Vehicle Limited Warranty document:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en.pdf

Pages #7 and #8: "In addition to the above exclusions and limitations, this New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT cover ... General appearance or normal noises and vibrations, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration for which there are no malfunctioning parts requiring replacement ...Minor adjustments, including addition of sealant, insulation, or replacing and/or re-torquing of nuts and bolts (or the like)".

The wording in the 4 year ESA is similar: "The following components and defects are not insured by ESA: ... Adjustments necessary to correct all kinds of sounds, water leaks or wind noise".

Tesla may choose to address your rattles, but they don't have to (either under NVLW or ESA).

I think the 12v lead acid battery was covered because it was defective and died prematurely. They had a well publicised issue with those batteries, and the typical lifetime is 4 years (so failing after 1 year is a clear defect).

I am hearing a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) about the ESA (and have been hearing this for 8 years now, even back to the roadster days). It seems Tesla HK don't want to sell it, and have now taken it away (so it is not even offered at the moment). Given that I doubt even the 17" CID will last 8 years, I consider the plan worthwhile (and would have bought it just to cover that one component).

Pages #7 and #8: "In addition to the above exclusions and limitations, this New Vehicle Limited Warranty does NOT cover ... General appearance or normal noises and vibrations, including, but not limited to, brake squeal, general knocks, creaks, rattles, and wind and road vibration for which there are no malfunctioning parts requiring replacement ...Minor adjustments, including addition of sealant, insulation, or replacing and/or re-torquing of nuts and bolts (or the like)".

My understanding of that text would actually mean that it does in fact cover rattles which results from a malfunctioning part, which would be the clips that holds the interior panels in place that tends to come loose and cause rattles.

And the invoice I have received from Tesla for the various interior panels (A and B pillars both sides and Front Passenger door), pano-roof creaks (twice now) have always said Warranty rather than Goodwill. Also they have also twice repair or replaced one or more of the above mentioned issues without me complaining also. So either I bought a lemon and they feel sorry for me... or I am just lucky. But I get the feeling I am not alone tho.

It's not like they put every complaints on Warranty tho... because I once also had brake issues which they bled and flushed the brake fluids... that had Goodwill put on it... so...

Anyway I believe what your quoted text meant to say is that any noise that isn't caused by the car itself will not be covered... and since Teslas are put together by a bunch of potatoes... rattles are most likely caused by bad fitment or design...

I have also had them correct my car's body panel alignments which was also put under Warranty... that you could argue falls under "General Appearance"

and ESA simply excludes all corrections regardless of what causes it

So I would assume that Tesla too believes that their million HK dollars car give or take depending when you bought it... shouldn't have these issues... thats why they fix them and put them under Warranty and not Goodwill... and beyond 4 years... they chalk it up to wear

I think the 12v lead acid battery was covered because it was defective and died prematurely. They had a well publicised issue with those batteries, and the typical lifetime is 4 years (so failing after 1 year is a clear defect).
Not to hijack and go off topic... but given the reseach I have done online and on my own car... it would seem very difficult for any S/X to have their 12v battery last 4 years given that the 12v battery will run it's rated 1800 cycle in as quickly as 10 months.

The ability to go beyond that as a daily driver would simply just mean C&D Technologies made a really good battery.

All the creaks I've ever had are caused by two pieces of plastic rubbing against each other; solution is to either lubricate or apply low friction tape between them. Rattles are something loose (screw / bolt / clip / etc). Remember I come from the roadster world, where it was hard to identify the one panel that wasn't squeaking and rattling :) I wouldn't be buying ESA to address rattles (more as an insurance policy against CID, IC, door handle, etc, style failures). I guess we'll agree to disagree.

The discussion is mute anyway, as ESA seems no longer to be offered here in HK.

I wouldn't be buying ESA to address rattles (more as an insurance policy against CID, IC, door handle, etc, style failures).

Well ESA doesn't cover rattles anyway but I completely agree and the failure of the MCU alone is more than enough to cover for the cost even with the yearly service factored in. The MCU is pre-destined and guaranteed to fail and it really IS Tesla's fault... they could easily write all logs to the removable SD card but opted to write even the linux logs itself to the eMMC which is just simply stupid

recent news says Tesla is moving away from this model

i guess you are right, one month passed, Tesla still doesn't have any updates

it would seem very difficult for any S/X to have their 12v battery last 4 years given that the 12v battery will run it's rated 1800 cycle in as quickly as 10 months.

The ability to go beyond that as a daily driver would simply just mean C&D Technologies made a really good battery.

i have my car just over 4 years and was driving it daily or on alternate days, 12V battery still working. but am a bit worried after reading what you said

my main worry is the MCU too, it failed once in perhaps the 2nd year. it developed self awareness after a firmware update and decided when to sleep or wake up for work, it became a bit difficult to drive without air con / GPS and to park without the rear cam

without the MCU, a Tesla is not just "not a Tesla", it becomes worst than any other cars...

although i believe the update was corrupted giving rise to the issue i had, but Tesla replaced the MCU anyway and it wasn't cheap if my car was not under warranty

my main worry is the MCU too, it failed once in perhaps the 2nd year. it developed self awareness after a firmware update and decided when to sleep or wake up for work, it became a bit difficult to drive without air con / GPS and to park without the rear cam

without the MCU, a Tesla is not just "not a Tesla", it becomes worst than any other cars...

although i believe the update was corrupted giving rise to the issue i had, but Tesla replaced the MCU anyway and it wasn't cheap if my car was not under warranty
This makes the extended warranty very worthwhile for those who are able to purchase it. (CPO cars are unable to purchase it regardless of it's year model)

I just took my 2015 MS85D (delivered Jan 16) for service and they offered the ESA. I've been "fortunate" that I've had passenger door handle, MCU, 12V replaced under warranty as well as steering fixed after hitting a pothole near deep water bay. I agree it's more of insurance than extended warranty and I am contemplating purchasing 2 or 4 year plan.

I did some research on web (which I haven't mentioned above) and knew there are motor and air con compressor design / built issues which will require part replacement one day

finally got the MCU (for leaking gel) and air con compressor replaced under ESA (motor replaced within first 4 years), so it maybe a bargain in my case

I guess you may want to google on your model and year to see if any expected breakdown and replacement is still pending, that definitely helps with your decision