Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could use some advice......I have a 2016 MX 90D that I purchased new. At the time, I also purchased the prepaid service plan to provide 4 years of recommended factory service. I have now taken my car for service 3 years in a row and had the prepaid service done without issue. Today, as I approach my 4th year of ownership with 66,000 miles, I schedule my forth and final prepaid service. ALERT ALERT.....I get a text message from the service center that this 4 year service will cost me $798.07 because my prepaid plan had expired. (My best guess is because im over 50K miles). That was the extent of the conversation. I responded to their text, but days have passed and Ive heard nothing back.

Now Im not trying to get them to extend my warranty, or fix anything that's now out of warranty. I just want them to perform the service which I paid for 4 years ago. This is out of pocked cash I handed them, and Im not trying to get anything I havent paid for, just my annual service.

As I search the forums for answers, one thing that did catch my eye - it was a letter to a Tesla owner from Tesla's Jerome Guillen, VP, World Wide Sales and Service. Its a quote from the blog, so I have no date, but it basically reads:

"Dear Mr....
Any customer who has paid for a 4-year service plan is entitled to 4 "annual service" visits. The customer can elect to bring the car whenever they desire: we recommend every year or every 12,500miles (whichever comes first), but the customer are free to do whatever they essentially desire. They can bring the car every 18 months or every 6 months. In the end, they will receive the 4 "annual service" they have paid for. I hope this clarifies the situation.

Many thanks for your continued support. Best Wishes,

Jerome Guillen | VP, WW Sales and Service"

Can anyone provide further information on this subject....I want to get my service done, but dont want to be paying for something thats prepaid.

Keep in mind it might just be the new standard that they state charges for anything up front, and then after the work is done you settle up in case it's not covered. In your case you are covered. But their new practices are very confusing, but they are just covering their butts of getting burned by folks modifying their cars that may have caused issues and being on the for fixing it under warranty.

Keep in mind it might just be the new standard that they state charges for anything up front, and then after the work is done you settle up in case it's not covered. In your case you are covered. But their new practices are very confusing, but they are just covering their butts of getting burned by folks modifying their cars that may have caused issues and being on the for fixing it under warranty.
mswlogo - any idea how minor the modifications can be for them to balk about covering something under warranty? Specifically, I’m wondering about the dashcam I installed that required tucking some wires out of sight and connecting to power at the OBD II connector near the driver's left foot.

mswlogo - any idea how minor the modifications can be for them to balk about covering something under warranty? Specifically, I’m wondering about the dashcam I installed that required tucking some wires out of sight and connecting to power at the OBD II connector near the driver's left foot.

I’m more talking about things like changing suspension adding power Frunk openers etc. I think something like dash cam will be fine. But if your 12V battery dies prematurely I’d pull your DashCam out before bringing it in. Tesla isn’t alone in this on pushing back on mods.

This really isnt a warranty issue.....I purchased the service package, 4 years, and paid up front. Now, as I schedule for my 4th and last service, Im advised the package has expired. The cost of this last service visit is quoted as $798.07, something I dont think I should have to pay again! And getting anyone to discuss it, well, thats another story. Im thinking I need to drive directly to the service center and a

...They can bring the car every 18 months or every 6 months...

I understand that you paid for 4 and you'll get 4 before the expirations of time or mileage whichever first.

The example cited is the time within the time frame of the 4-year limit.

The example doesn't cite the mileage but it's in the contract when you bought it.

Since your car is now more than 50,000 miles, you'll need to pay again due to the expiration in mileage.

Usually, there's a footnote for everything even for "free" things. If I want free supercharging in the old days I still have to pay for the price of the Tesla car and I can't get that benefit if I paid a Kia...

Similarly, you can bring your car at any time you want doesn't mean it doesn't have a footnote for time and mileage limitation.

I just had my 4-year service done a month ago. Over 50k miles. Just setup appointment via app and told them it's for the 4th year service, and got it done @ service center with no issues. Never have to explain to them, they didn't explain to me. I show up and got a $0 invoice for the service and went on my way.

I was about 50800 miles, so maybe it was closer to 50k. Invoice saids 4 year/50k prepaid service.

I was also told by a tech on previous visit that I have up to 55k for most warranty stuff, because I was concern that some intermittent problem would come back as I cross 50k, he said just bring it back before 55k and it'll be covered. Nothing written down, so not sure how accurate this is.

-ThinkMac-

I had a 4 year maintenance plan but cancelled it last year (and got a refund of unused portion) when they stopped recommending annual service. In keeping with what @Tam said, the agreement I had clearly defined limitations in mileage and time for each of the services, starting from the date you took possession of the car. The agreement could be bought within the first year or 12,500 miles, but service times and mileage were measured from your acquisition of the car. The service intervals were 12 months or 12,500 miles, whichever came first.

“Notwithstanding the date this Agreement is purchased or becomes effective, annual service inspections must be performed within 1,000 miles (1,600 km) or 30 days of the specified annual service inspection intervals for Your selected Plan. Any annual service inspections not completed within such time will be forfeited and no annual service inspections will be added as a replacement for any such excluded annual service inspections.”

...I was about 50800 miles...

As quoted by @Bigriver:

1) your mileage is within 1,000-mile grace parameter
2) Tesla can do beyond what required by the contract for an owner's advantage but when Tesla sticks to the book, there's no legal basis for owner to demand that they should provide a courtesy service this one time.
3) A Tesla employee can promise a lot but what counts is whether the promise is followed up by setting it in stone with the legal contract.