Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Service Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi yall, new tesla owner here.Can someone explain to me why this is on my bill and what it means?

I recently got a flat and just going to get my tire changed. So the $81 is okay, maybe get an alignment cuz i prob need that. But what is this extra $200 i did not know i was going to pay?

Attachments

• 3A945F00-E66C-4A7F-8C0A-D83C5BB646E2.png
    3A945F00-E66C-4A7F-8C0A-D83C5BB646E2.png
    314.6 KB · Views: 149
Is you car out of the original warranty period and into the extended warranty? I presume you purchased the extended warranty. If so, to use it, there is a $200 deductible when you take your car in for service. If you dig up your extended warranty agreement, it spells it out there.

Now, if you don’t have an extended warranty, then it is probably an error on Tesla’s part.

Is you car out of the original warranty period and into the extended warranty? I presume you purchased the extended warranty. If so, to use it, there is a $200 deductible when you take your car in for service. If you dig up your extended warranty agreement, it spells it out there.

Now, if you don’t have an extended warranty, then it is probably an error on Tesla’s part.
I just bought the car from the dealership a month ago, they did not mention this to me. I asked tesla to do a full maintenance check because this is the first service since i bought the car. If i pay the 200 and say i need an alignment for this tire, will that, and whatever else needs to be fixed, be covered under that $200?

The $200 deductible should apply to extended warranty work (equipment/part failures) only. Also, it should not be an additional cost on top of the full repair cost. If a covered repair was over $200 (e.g., $281) then you would only be responsible for the first $200. If the covered repair was less than $200 (e.g., $81) then the warranty wouldn’t cover anything and you'd be responsible for the $81.

• Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
The $200 deductible should apply to extended warranty work (equipment/part failures) only. Also, it should not be an additional cost on top of the full repair cost. If a covered repair was over $200 (e.g., $281) then you would only be responsible for the first $200. If the covered repair was less than $200 (e.g., $81) then the warranty wouldn’t cover anything and you'd be responsible for the $81.
Thats the estimate they gave me, so if i click approve estimate in the app, will i then be charged that 200$ ? Especially if tires are only $81? I already had to pay $120 just to have them put on the loner tire…

Also, is mcu2 upgrade covered in this warrenty?

No.

Thats the estimate they gave me, so if i click approve estimate in the app, will i then be charged that 200$ ? Especially if tires are only $81? I already had to pay $120 just to have them put on the loner tire…

No. The tire would be separate. The $200 ESA charge is likely related to the repair(s) necessary for your complaint about the noise while turning the steering wheel and the brake pedal squeak.

Will they fix all that if i pay $200?
The ESA has a $200 deductible per visit, for whatever covered repairs are made during that visit.

But before we go much further, you said you just bought the car a month ago. Did you buy it from Tesla, or a third party dealer? Because if you bought it from Tesla I would think that you have at least some warranty coverage left that wouldn't have a deductible. (An ESA is an add-on agreement to cover repairs after the warranty expires.)

The ESA has a $200 deductible per visit, for whatever covered repairs are made during that visit.

But before we go much further, you said you just bought the car a month ago. Did you buy it from Tesla, or a third party dealer? Because if you bought it from Tesla I would think that you have at least some warranty coverage left that wouldn't have a deductible. (The ESA is an add-on agreement to cover repairs after the warranty expires.)
I bought from third party

When you have a $200 deductible, the most you should have to pay for a warranty covered repair is $200 and that's only if the repair is over $200. If it's $200 or less, you pay the repair amount as if the warranty didn't apply/exist.

You have other items listed at $0.00 (brake pedal squeaks, steering noise outside the car, etc.). Perhaps they did covered work there which totaled more than $200 and that's where the deductible is coming from.

Reactions: Sanderpman12
When you have a $200 deductible, the most you should have to pay for a warranty covered repair is $200 and that's only if the repair is over $200. If it's $200 or less, you pay the repair amount as if the warranty didn't apply/exist.

You have other items listed at $0.00 (brake pedal squeaks, steering noise outside the car, etc.). Perhaps they did covered work there which totaled more than $200 and that's where the deductible is coming from.
Ok sweet that makes sense, im gunna go ahead with this esa

How much would i get back?

It would have cost between $2,100 and $4,750 depending on when they bought it and how many years/miles they selected., but only Tesla could tell you how much would be refunded:

Can I cancel my Extended Service Agreement? Can I upgrade or downgrade my Tesla Extended Service Agreement?
Yes. You can request to cancel your Extended Service Agreement at any time and receive a prorated refund, based on your claims history. Review the Extended Service Agreement Terms and Conditions for more information. You cannot downgrade or upgrade your Extended Service Agreement once you have purchased. To request a cancellation, reach out to your local Service Center or contact us with the Extended Service Agreement Cancellation Form. The form requires a wet signature. Electronically signed forms will not be accepted.

So if it is close to the end of the coverage period and/or the prior owner used it a lot, you could get next to nothing back when cancelling it.