Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended View Blind Spot Mirrors For Model 3 (wide-angle mirror alternative)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really excited when the update came out several months ago with the blind spot camera function. After using it a bit, that excitement turned to disappointment though. I figured I'd try and get used to it for a while, but I'm just not a huge fan of the location and looking so far away from the road. I'm sure some find it useful, but for me it is awkward and a bit disorienting versus using the mirrors for quick glances.

Next I tried the Suma mirrors, which are heavily advertised on here. These also were not the right solution for me. In my area front window tint is not allowed and they do ticket for it. There are tons of huge trucks with bright lights and glare is an issue. The blue tint brings me back to 20+ years ago when VW and Acura cars had this.
Auto dimming mirrors are a big advancement over tinted mirrors and it just didn't make sense to me to replace a very expensive high-tech mirror with a cheaper, lower tech option.

Another thing is that these Teslas have crazy deep mirror housings. The Suma mirrors 100% increased the field of view, but there is notable distortion and a resulting lack of depth perception for the entire mirror. Given how deep these mirror housings are, you also see a lot of the black plastic of the housing on the outer portion, where you are trying to see more 'stuff'.

I was on Amazon and they advertised the extended view mirrors, which were interesting to me. So I got them, put the Tesla dimming mirrors back on and installed the extended view. The process is easier, since you don't need to remove the Tesla mirror.

It did not look like it would fit right, but after reviewing the instructions, you twist them into position and it both fits and looks like it belongs. You are adding depth to the mirrors and according to the company, the shape is to allow the Tesla mirrors to move all the way into that deep housing, which it does. While not for everyone, this is the solution that works best for me. They are the clearest convex mirrors I've use yet. They allow me to keep my dimming mirrors and greatly enhance visibility if the mirrors are set right. Parking with these is improved too!

I always appreciate having options and here is another good blind spot option for the model 3! https://www.amazon.com/Blind-Mirrors-Compatible-Tesla-Extended/dp/B09LMKFLVG?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Here are some of my pictures:
IMG_3946.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

Reactions: oc_m3lr
I just bought a stick-on mirror at O'Reilly's. Works fine! However, I recommend putting it at the inside bottom corner, so it doesn't block the normal view at the outer edge.
The nice thing about this product is that they are real glass and impressively clear. The generic versions show the blind spot area, but they are often plastic and very far away looking.

Since these are custom deigned for our cars, they need to go on the top corner. But it does not take away from the useful view. Bigger trucks and SUVs go lower due to sitting higher. But if you look at my initial picture in town, that top corner would normally be the tops of builds, sky and trees. The lower spot you mentioned is actually the other lanes of traffic. So I'm not loosing anything of value, but gaining a ton of view from the floor by my back tire and bumper all the way out 2-3 lanes.

Also, if you look at vehicles that Ford, Chevy and Hyundai among others build these mirrors into the factory mirror glass, it's in the same position. But there is a big difference between a custom fit mirror and the very curved universal ones 👍

IMG_3948.jpeg

I like to push my mirrors our pretty far, which is usually regarded as the proper placement. Here is how the Suma looked, with a lot of the outer edge simply showing the deep black plastic tesla mirror surround, so a lot of that wider angle is lost when maneuvering.

Ek0O9MN7o_mid.jpg