Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty and pre-paid maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I was just wanting to see how many Model 3 reservation holders plan on purchasing the pre-paid maintenance and were thinking about getting the extended warranty? Are either one a good idea to purchase?

Thanks,

Kal
We do not yet know what's going to be available and at what price. We also have no idea what the quality of the first Model 3s out of the factory will be like.

Reactions: strykeroz
I do appreciate the 8 year unlimited mileage part of the drive train warranty. I wish they would improve the warranty on the rest of the car. I realize in theory EV should be much more reliable so why not a 5/100 bumper to bumper exclude brakes and keep the power train warranty the way it is.

Reactions: JeffK
No reason to exclude brakes, they would hardly be used by most people with the way Tesla does regenerative braking. My 3.5 year old 43K+ mile Model S shows no signs of needing even new brake pads, let alone anything further than that.

In answer to the original question: I bought both the extended warranty and the prepaid maintenance for the Model S. Assuming pricing is similar for the Model 3, I plan only to get the extended warranty. Now, if the prepaid maintenance is more like $300 rather than $600 per year, I'd probably plunk down the money in advance like I did with the Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: DJ 240V and JeffK
I plan on getting the extended warranty because of past quality issues of Tesla but no pre paid maintence since that seems to be a waste.
It seems a lot of people just do the maintenance every other year where it covers more stuff. I have heard that you might need to do the yearly maintenance if you want to be covered under the extended warranty. Stipulations and all that.

It seems a lot of people just do the maintenance every other year where it covers more stuff. I have heard that you might need to do the yearly maintenance if you want to be covered under the extended warranty. Stipulations and all that.
Have you looked at the Tesla service plan? The only real thing that needs to be done is the battery coolant flush at 50k miles. I can't see how they can deny a extended warranty claim for not rotating your tires or replacing your Incabin air filter.

Current Model S service plan info: Service plans

Factory warranty is 4 years/ 50K so I would expect that to be the same. The extended warranty (extended service agreement to use Tesla terminology) for the S/X currently costs a breathtaking $4000 to get to 8 years/ 100K miles. I have a hard time imagining they will be able to charge that much for the 3 but they might.

Currently I don't think there are any 3rd party extended warranty companies covering Teslas, so I suppose you either pay Tesla's price or you self-fund.

Have you looked at the Tesla service plan? The only real thing that needs to be done is the battery coolant flush at 50k miles. I can't see how they can deny a extended warranty claim for not rotating your tires or replacing your Incabin air filter.

Interstingly, the FACTORY warranty does NOT require the service plan requirements be met but the EXTENDED warranty DOES require you to have completed all service visits on time or within 1000 miles. This is partly why its called a "service agreement" and not a warranty. I don't know if anyone has tested how that is working in practice, but the language is there. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

"To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA."

• Informative
Reactions: eisbock
I wonder what would happen if you can't get a service call to occur within 1000 miles? I heard that service centers are far far behind concerning repairs.

THAT is a great question. I would hope Tesla is currently waiving the 1000 mile requirement if a service center area (California) is so backed up you can't get the car in in time. BUT I would definitely keep all records of the mileage when the appointment was made just in case I had to argue that one later.

Interstingly, the FACTORY warranty does NOT require the service plan requirements be met but the EXTENDED warranty DOES require you to have completed all service visits on time or within 1000 miles. This is partly why its called a "service agreement" and not a warranty. I don't know if anyone has tested how that is working in practice, but the language is there. https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_ot.pdf

"To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA."
So basically you need to buy both the service plan and extended agreement. I'm not worried about the extended warranty covering windshield wipers, brake fluid or key fob batteries. That makes the extended warranty very expensive but not as expensive the repairs out of warranty

So basically you need to buy both the service plan and extended agreement. I'm not worried about the extended warranty covering windshield wipers, brake fluid or key fob batteries. That makes the extended warranty very expensive but not as expensive the repairs out of warranty
It's a gamble. On one hand, you may only spend a few hundred bucks on stuff like 12v batteries or charging ports. But on the other, your DC/DC converter or touchscreen might go and you're out $4k right there--the cost of the ESA. If both go? You'll be kicking yourself. Then there are reports of the 12v batteries failing pretty much annually, so that's another $400 per year.

If Model 3 is truly simpler and better constructed than Model S/X, we shouldn't have to worry about the niggling issues like door handles, 12v batteries, squeaks, leaks, etc. and you may come out on top even with a major out-of-warranty repair like the touchscreen. But it'll be close.

Ultimately, I think the ESA is worth it mainly because I'm not a huge risk-taker and am quite intimate with Lady Luck's evil twin. A brand new first gen car? There will be issues down the road that aren't caught right away because they don't present themselves until years later. Let's be real here, modern car companies who have been making the same damn car for 100 years still can't get it right. Do you honestly believe that a 10-year-old tech startup whose focus is batteries and technology (not cars) will perfectly execute the first car of its platform without a hitch?

You may be lucky and only have to spend the couple hundred here and there for the additional 4 years, but when a single repair of a 5+ year old part that has zero reliability data costs as much as four years of ESA? I'm not willing to take that chance. Good to luck to you if you do.

Why are the service agreements so expensive? If they want reduced maintenance to be a selling point stand behind the product. I think I paid about a grand for timing belt water pump all the hoses and belts trans fluid and brake fluid when I did a 200k service on a ford and a Toyota. I wish Toyota would suck it up and beg them to sell them some more batteries for the RAV4 or an 86.

Why are the service agreements so expensive? If they want reduced maintenance to be a selling point stand behind the product. I think I paid about a grand for timing belt water pump all the hoses and belts trans fluid and brake fluid when I did a 200k service on a ford and a Toyota. I wish Toyota would suck it up and beg them to sell them some more batteries for the RAV4 or an 86.
A grand for timing belt/water pump! Please refer me to your auto shop!

Why are the service agreements so expensive? If they want reduced maintenance to be a selling point stand behind the product. I think I paid about a grand for timing belt water pump all the hoses and belts trans fluid and brake fluid when I did a 200k service on a ford and a Toyota.

Are those top dollar high performance cars getting that work done? I can't imagine service on a lamborghini, porsche, or ferrari is that cheap.