Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty denied because I did not do the scheduled inspections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is correct :cool:

The agreement period doesn't begin until 50K miles.

Also, I have an email directly from the service center in Fremont stating that the ESA will not be invalidated by not having previously recommended service performed.

I have 31K miles. I've performed all of the required service and inspections(myself) except for the brake fluid change which I haven't done yet because there's still less than 1% moisture and 0 ppm of copper. Not that it matters as I'm unlikely to by the ESA given it's an utter and complete rip off when you combine the per incident $200 deductible.

I called ownership today and asked if I have not done ANY annual services, will I be denied purchase of extended services agreement in 4 yrs. Then lady said she doesn't think so, but will check. She came back a few minutes later and told me she was right, that I will not be denied purchasing an ESA. You might want to call and see what they say to you.

If you read this carefully, you do not need to perform Tesla recommended service prior to starting the ESA... years 1-4. :cool:
However, during the ESA period ... years 5-8, you may need to perform the Tesla recommended service to keep the ESA in force.

More detailed information available here: Maintenance Plans

upload_2017-2-3_20-55-54.png

Did anyone reach out to Tesla for an official answer?
Really not sure there is a need. There's just much confusion between the three items;

New Car Warranty - manufacturer cannot legally require that maintenance is performed.
Resale Value Guaranty - Any terms may be used, it's an agreement that they will provide a fixed price, on whatever terms they chose.
Extended Service Agreement - Can be offered on whatever terms the carrier chooses.

And anything said on the subject by an employees creates a verbal contract in most (all?) states unless there is specific wording in the contract to avoid it - but burden of proof is on the person claiming that verbal contract was created.

Just regarding eligibility for CPO. Mine was 2 years old, 8K miles when delivered end of November. Only offering me prepaid service agreements. Makes some sense, though a 2 year, and extension to 100K option would have been nice ... but that would be custom for every CPO purchase so I can see that's just too complicated for a company already struggling with growing pains.

Tesla's been doing a really good job.....at upsetting their existing customers. OP's post is just another example. I sold my last Tesla and it had the extended warranty (ESA). Car is still under factory warranty. Have it in writing that it's fully refundable prior to kicking in (4 yrs/50K miles). I requested a refund 4 months ago and they still stalling. They've said there's no problem refunding it, again, have it in writing, but they sure are slow. Now they're saying it could take another 2 months.

Never understood their pricing on regular service ether. In the beginning, they bragged about how little maintenance the car needed. Most cars today can go 8,000 miles on an oil change. So $50 every 8,000 miles or $600 for Tesla service every 13,000 miles?? And they no longer include alignment in the service.

Looked on Tesla's website for new car inventory, was shocked to see how many P100D's with AP2 hardware were available right now. I remember looking for a P85D & P90D back when they were the top models oh so long ago (last year LOL) and you were lucky to find one. Now, there's probably 30 or 40 P100D's available. Just read an article that said Tesla sold only 1,900 cars last month, WAY below pace to reach the 80,000 yearly target. They clearly built a bunch of cars, but haven't sold them based on how many are available as inventory cars and the sales numbers per the article. Seems like, either their $60,000 premium over a 75 kwh might be waking people up to reality. $60,000 and you get what? A bigger battery and bigger rear electric motor. THAT'S IT. Not sure I've seen that type of premium by any other manufacturer for a standard vs performance model. And with most companies, their performance models come with better brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, usually sportier body pieces and interior upgrades along with a bunch of option packages also included. Tesla does everything they do "because they can". That time might finally be coming to an end. They've probably used up their existing customer base, many who kept buying a new car every time they released a new hardware feature. Probably getting old lowing $30,000 on a new car every 6 months to upgrade as it appears several Tesla owners do. Even for those with money to burn, it has to get old.

Top of the line P85D used to be around $120,000. Now a top of the line P100D fully loaded is $167,000. You get more, yet, but not sure it's $47,000 more. P85D carried a $20,000 premium. P100D is a $40,000 premium. Used to be praised for being a great value for the dollar. At $167,000, you're certainly paying TOP dollar and it puts you into another category of cars. Appears they've found the peak price point as it relates to the mass market, rather than just a select few. Other than those that race their cars, do that many people really care about the difference between 2.9 0-60 and 2.5 or 2.4?? Sales figures appear to indicate the answer is, no. Hopefully this will work to the customer's advantage. As great as their cars are, this young company still has a lot of growing pains to go through.

what if you buy it upfront but never do the same regular maintenance and then later on in the ext war time frame something happens. would they refuse service you think?

I have this same question but didn't see anyone answer over the following four pages.

If we can be denied the Extended Warranty after three years for not getting regular maintenance... is a solution to buy the warranty upfront?

I read all of this different wrt maintenance and the extended warranty. I think it does not mean they will cancel your warranty if you don't do the maintenance but if a part breaks that was part of the maintenance you skipped, and that maintenance might have prevented the damage, they will not honor that repair under the contract.

But I am just guessing.

I had an in depth conversation with a Tesla Ranger a couple months ago about recommended maintenance (from his perspective). Here's what he recommended:

Cabin air filter replacement every 12,500 miles
Replace brake fluid every 25,000 miles
Service the air conditioning every 25,000 miles/2 years
Replace battery coolant every 62,500 miles
Service Drive train fluid every 150,000 miles

I have had my 2013 P85 for 3.5 years now and have driven 87,000 miles. I've never brought the car in for the regular service intervals, nor have I purchased the ESA. But I do plan on following the ranger's advice above. My 2 cents...

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I had an in depth conversation with a Tesla Ranger a couple months ago about recommended maintenance (from his perspective). Here's what he recommended:

Cabin air filter replacement every 12,500 miles
Replace brake fluid every 25,000 miles
Service the air conditioning every 25,000 miles/2 years
Replace battery coolant every 62,500 miles
Service Drive train fluid every 150,000 miles

Good to know ... sounds like I will go with regular service every 2 years :cool: