Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty denied because I did not do the scheduled inspections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news, after the usual terrible Tesla communication finally the regional manager called me and basically confirmed what my expectation was. Inspections are mandatory AFTER you purchased the ESA and not doing them before the originally warranty expires is no reason to get the ESA denied.

Just ridiculous that for such a simple thing I had to write 8 emails to 4 different people ! I am really wondering how they get their things done so fast when they work so inefficient !

I had an in depth conversation with a Tesla Ranger a couple months ago about recommended maintenance (from his perspective). Here's what he recommended:

Cabin air filter replacement every 12,500 miles
Replace brake fluid every 25,000 miles
Service the air conditioning every 25,000 miles/2 years
Replace battery coolant every 62,500 miles
Service Drive train fluid every 150,000 miles

I have had my 2013 P85 for 3.5 years now and have driven 87,000 miles. I've never brought the car in for the regular service intervals, nor have I purchased the ESA. But I do plan on following the ranger's advice above. My 2 cents...

No issues yet ? Hard to believe that with a 2013 P85.

Good news, after the usual terrible Tesla communication finally the regional manager called me and basically confirmed what my expectation was. Inspections are mandatory AFTER you purchased the ESA and not doing them before the originally warranty expires is no reason to get the ESA denied.

Just ridiculous that for such a simple thing I had to write 8 emails to 4 different people ! I am really wondering how they get their things done so fast when they work so inefficient !

And does that mean you can purchase ESA after 4 years if you didn't perform annual inspection? I recal seeing a thread that someone was denied the ability to purchase ESA for this reason

So can someone insert a "not" between "warranty" and "denied" in the subject of this thread .

Inspections are mandatory AFTER you purchased the ESA and not doing them before the originally warranty expires is no reason to get the ESA denied.

I don't fully understand the statement. To clarify...

One can avoid maintenance during the factory warranty period without any penalty. However, regular maintenance is mantadory when the factory warranty expires and the extended warranty coverage begins.

Is that accurate?

From Tesla ...:cool:

Hi everyone -- thanks to several of you for reaching out directly to get some of your questions clarified. For MTG's questions:

1. Yes. Although Tesla recommends annual maintenance every 12 months or 12,500mi/20,000km (whichever comes first), it does not void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not have these inspections performed. But, it's a really good idea to do them.
2. Yes. Our Terms & Conditions of the Extended Service Agreement state that annual maintenance must be performed to maintain the contract. We're not trying to be heavy-handed, but guiding to the right behavior. Hope that makes sense.
3. The Discounted window for early adopters is in effect through August 2, 2017 (180 days from launch of new Service Plans). We have extended the same grace period to Model S customers also.

^ So we don't need to do the first four years of service but once we purchased the ESA, we will be obligated to have the annual service performed to keep the ESA in force?

I was thinking of saving $4-6k (on a Model 3) and maybe just doing one of the more comprehensive service internal and using that money saved for the ESA. :)

^ So we don't need to do the first four years of service but once we purchased the ESA, we will be obligated to have the annual service performed to keep the ESA in force?

I was thinking of saving $4-6k (on a Model 3) and maybe just doing one of the more comprehensive service internal and using that money saved for the ESA. :)

I think the fear of not doing recommended maintenance during factory warranty period is that it could still limit the extended warranty even if you are allowed to purchase it.

For example, let's say recommended maintenance says to service a doohickey every year but you don't. Then you buy the extended warranty and said doohickey breaks. It still sounds like Tesla may say that doohickey wasn't maintained properly. Sure, the extended warranty will cover other things that don't require maintenance (eg. stereo or seat heaters) but you may limit your options in the long run.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
And does that mean you can purchase ESA after 4 years if you didn't perform annual inspection? I recal seeing a thread that someone was denied the ability to purchase ESA for this reason

Yes you can. Anything else would not make sense because it would render the "not mandatory inspections mandatory". They are mandatory from the day the ESA is valid, i.e 6200 miles is the first mandatory inspection.