Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Going Up July 3, Will You Buy Now?

Will you buy the Extended Warrranty for $2500?

• YES INDEED!! ABSO-TESLA-LUTLEY!

Votes: 65 52.8%
  • NOPE! Nada! Negative

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Already Have it, I'm a Player!

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we all know the Extended Warranty is going from $2500 to $4000 on July 3, will you buy it now or wait and see what happens in 4 years? I was going to wait but spending $4000 or maybe $5000 in 4 years, it seems $2500 today is the right move. Even if you don't plan on keeping the car that long, resale will be higher with an extended warranty for 8 years 100k miles which for $200 IS transferable.

Any thoughts on WHY we shouldn't be buying now for $2500?

Is anyone else concerned that Tesla's extended warranty is about as expensive on a time covered basis as BMW's extended warranty?

Yes, BMW's adds only 3 instead of 4 years, but it's almost $1k cheaper, and both cover up to 100K miles. Is Tesla realizing that EVs are not as cheap to maintain as promised?

Confirmed on the Tesla Motors web site.

I never buy extended warranties for anything, especially cars. But that was for ICE cars where there are lots of independent mechanics out there and I know what to expect.

For my S, I think I'm going to cough up the $2500 plus tax over the weekend. Sigh. And I don't even have my car yet, still being built. I have a feeling the extended warranty will be even more in four years, and I plan on keeping this car for a long time. Still a $200 deductible, too.

Not happy about it, but I've spent $2k on a single repair visit for more than one ICE car, haven't we all?

So in that light does Tesla's $2500 price seem reasonable, even with a $600/yr annual maintenance visit?

Not happy about it, but I've spent $2k on a single repair visit for more than one ICE car, haven't we all?

Sure, but on things that would've been covered by a warranty? I have no idea. This is one of the things that gives me pause....yet I'm nervous about not getting it, then regretting it in 4 years and finding that it costs even more then. ;-)

Since we all know the Extended Warranty is going from $2500 to $4000 on July 3, will you buy it now or wait and see what happens in 4 years? I was going to wait but spending $4000 or maybe $5000 in 4 years, it seems $2500 today is the right move. Even if you don't plan on keeping the car that long, resale will be higher with an extended warranty for 8 years 100k miles which for $200 IS transferable.

Any thoughts on WHY we shouldn't be buying now for $2500?
At least on the Texas version of the extended warranty, the transfer cost is $100, not $200 (deductible is still $200, of course).

The number of items that are excluded is quite long. The mileage limit seems low too. You get another 4 years after your regular warranty expires, but a limit of 50k miles; not an additional 50k miles, if I'm reading the doc correctly.

I don't think I will be buying it, I'm still running the numbers in my head. My only concerns are the touchscreen and the air suspension. I think the rest would be fairly inexpensive or at least I hope. I had to replace the touchscreen in my Lexus after 5 years due to the heat in Az causing the sensors on the screen to stop working and my warranty saved me there because it was $4k. As for the air suspension I know very little about how much it would cost to repair, but hell I could always just upgrade to a new car.....

The number of items that are excluded is quite long. The mileage limit seems low too. You get another 4 years after your regular warranty expires, but a limit of 50k miles; not an additional 50k miles, if I'm reading the doc correctly.

Whoa. No way. You mean if you put only 10-12K mi a year on your car (like I do), and then you get close to the 4-yr point, at which point say you're at 48k mi, and wanna get the extended warranty, the extended warranty would only cover the next 2k mi, not the next 50k mi? That can't be right.

Whoa. No way. You mean if you put only 10-12K mi a year on your car (like I do), and then you get close to the 4-yr point, at which point say you're at 48k mi, and wanna get the extended warranty, the extended warranty would only cover the next 2k mi, not the next 50k mi? That can't be right.

That's how I'm interpreting the doc. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong. It's vague.

Normally if you drive 40K miles, than your original warranty would expire in 4 years and the Extended would kick in for an additional 4 years to 90K, (40+50). If you drive 60K in 3 years than the Extended warranty would kick in early and start for 4 years, but do they limit you to 100k TOTAL, or go to 110K? Going to have to call them now....AGH!

Normally if you drive 40K miles, than your original warranty would expire in 4 years and the Extended would kick in for an additional 4 years to 90K, (40+50). If you drive 60K in 3 years than the Extended warranty would kick in early and start for 4 years, but do they limit you to 100k TOTAL, or go to 110K? Going to have to call them now....AGH!

I just reread the doc and your interpretation is what I came up with. 4 years and 50k from when the regular warranty expires. But it can't be, because that would require Tesla to track how many miles were on each car when it was 4 years old. Tesla I suppose has this capability.

The language in the contract is poorly written.

Putting my law degree into action, section "C" is the only one that gives me pause. I know there are times when I may go 1,000 or 30 days beyond recommended service in my ICE car. This could theoretically void your extended warrant. It is important to remember that not only is Tesla is committing to certain obligations, the purchaser has to hold up his/her end of the agreement.

"The Owner’s Manual includes specific recommendations regarding the use, operations, and maintenance
of the Vehicle. To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations
procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla.
If requested, proof of required
service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be
presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles and/or 30
days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA."