Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Going Up July 3, Will You Buy Now?

Will you buy the Extended Warrranty for $2500?

• YES INDEED!! ABSO-TESLA-LUTLEY!

Votes: 65 52.8%
  • NOPE! Nada! Negative

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Already Have it, I'm a Player!

Votes: 16 13.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm tempted to put down a reservation on a Model X tomorrow and then pull it when they finally offer the ESA to WA and FL. If they offer owners in our challenging states the original price then the cancellation reason would be "to finally pay for my ESA on my Model S". If they don't it would be "because WA and FL owners were screwed on the ESA thing." If we don't have the offering by the time I get asked to finalize, then I may sell my place in line (effectively) on Ebay and include a comment about the S ESA there.

It's a somewhat indirect way of making a point, but I do that sometimes. Will it make any difference to anyone but me? Perhaps not.

Just pulled the trigger and bought the extended warrantee.

I picked up my car last Saturday to have the 6,000 tire rotation done, plus, to take care of a few other issues, such as squeaks, two door handles that needed to be replaced, curb rash on one of the wheels (not a warrantee item but got fixed for $175), and some other small things.

All an all, they had the car for three days. On the final report, I counted five items that were under warrantee. Just wondering what the bill would have been if these repairs were not under warrantee made me decide to get the extended.

Last edited:
I got a response basically saying that I couldn't buy it and no guarantee on the price if/when it is offered. I'm not happy, but will continue to act in calm until proven that WA and other state owners are being screwed.

I bought the 4+4 service, but I'm unconvinced the warranty extension is worth it. I'm going to hold out until the end of the exisiting warranty to see if the trend over the last year indicates its needed. I expect the first year or two will flush out any issues with the car. It's a $1500 gamble, but based on my experience (it is a large part of my job to deal with new technology issues) I think it's a good risk.

Did the purchase last night, against my normal proclivities, but this is a new company (only 10 years old) and this is their first "from the ground up" car so it felt like a reasonable purchase, a form of insurance if you will.

And now they have even more of my money, but since the car was almost free due to my TSLA investment, I guess it's not so bad after all:)

IMO I think ya'll are crazy. I mean those who paid 4+4 & extended warranty just prepaid an additional $7300/$8300 for a car that "needs little to no service". There's a voice in my head that keeps telling me "ya'll just got suckered."

Yeah, how is $6,300 "low cost" for 8 years of service & warranty, BTW, the math on that comes out to
Years 1-4 pre-paid maint $1,900 (ranger service not needed)
Years 5-8 pre-paid maint $1,900 (ranger service not needed)
Years 5-8 extended warranty $2,500 (or $4,000 later)

$6,300 now, or $7,800 just before year 4 is up.

8 years is 2,920 days, do the math: $2.16/day now, $2.67 later. So much for "lower cost ownership"
I have the 4 year pre-paid service, I'm sticking with that for now. Not looking to make another $4,400 contribution right now.
I'm making money in TSLA stock, if there are lots of issues/problems developing in years 3-4, I'll get the warranty for the $4,000 but I'm betting it won't be needed.

I also had the 4+4. I bought the ESA in late afternoon and was surprised the price hadn't changed already. A lot of reading comments and thinking it over. I was going to wait and see, but after reading posts and going back 'n forth on it, I bought it.

It didn't hurt that the rebate check from energy efficiency updates we did came in a couple of days ago. ;-) Although apparently the ESA is my birthday present--the car was my Xmas present--so I probably won't get another present for the rest of my life, but that's okay. ;-) We own too much...stuff...anyway.

Maybe I was a sucker, @yobigd20. Let's talk in 4 years, and again in 8. Hopefully I wasn't...on the other paw, it is like insurance...I actually hope not to have massive problems with the car, after all (who does?).... ;-) Gak.

I think it was worth it. My guess is having one of the first few thousand cars means you are more likely to have an issue than if Tesla had been making the Model S for 5 years now. Could be wrong but at the old price it was one big repair from breaking even so worth it for me at least. Everyone is different though.