Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty News Flash !!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No X-Care would not cover towing another vehicle that is not your own. However, X-Care does have rental coverage if needed.

Page 3 on the contract states the following:
  1. Towing Service: We will cover in total any tow of the covered Vehicle up to fifty (50) miles or less to the Selling Dealer (as long as the Selling Dealer has vehicle repair capabilities). If the Selling Dealer is located over fifty (50) miles from the disablement location, or does not have repair capabilities, then Your covered Vehicle may be towed to the nearest alternate qualifying repair facility.
Since Tesla Service is the only "qualified repair facility" then we will cover towing of your vehicle.

On that same page, you can ready about Substitute Transportation:
  1. Substitute Transportation: In the event of a covered Breakdown, We will pay or reimburse You for receipted expenses to rent a replacement vehicle (from a licensed rental agency) or for alternate public transportation while Your Vehicle is at a licensed repair facility. Coverage will be provided to You on the following basis, up to a maximum of fifty dollars ($50) per day and a maximum of two hundred and fifty ($250) dollars for each repair visit.
X-Care should not cost you more than Tesla's ESA. If it does, please reach out to us and we will match. Send us your Year, Model, and odometer, state along with a screen shot showing what Tesla's offer is.

Thank you,
Email: [email protected]

Since the service center is 2 hours away for me, two round trips to the service center is 8 hours of my time. Sometimes my MX needs warranty work, but is drivable, but i don't have 8 hours open in my schedule. Would the tow service drive my car to the service center and back for a warranted issue even if it was drivable?

Since the service center is 2 hours away for me, two round trips to the service center is 8 hours of my time. Sometimes my MX needs warranty work, but is drivable, but i don't have 8 hours open in my schedule. Would the tow service drive my car to the service center and back for a warranted issue even if it was drivable?

If your vehicle is driveable, then no X-Care would not cover towing. We only cover towing if the vehicle needs to be Towed to service in result of a breakdown where the vehicle is not driveable or safe to drive.

I had to check on the towing back to home. X-Care would not cover towing back to your home. Once your vehicle is fixed, it will be up to you on how to retrieve the vehicle. We do cover rental service for $50 per day up to $250. You can use this as a way to get your vehicle back or have a source of transportation if you are caught in those situations.

And the tow back? Limits?

Sorry for the delay, wanted to be sure this was correct before answering.

X-Care would not cover towing back to you, just to the service center. Once the vehicle is repaired, it will be up to you to figure out how to retrieve the vehicle. X-Care does offer rental for $50 per day, up to $250 so you have substitute transportation and perhaps use this to get your vehicle at your service center and drive back.

We do not have coverage options for Model S and Model X with over 100,000 miles on the odometer (125,000 miles for Model 3 and other electric vehicles)

Yes, I did see that. I want to make sure you understand my question. You cover Model S from 100,000-150,000 if you buy the warranty before 100,001. But if I buy the 100,000-130,000 at 99,999, and at 101,000 I want to extend it to go to 150,000, you won't do it? I'm basically trying to break it up into 2 payments.

Yes, I did see that. I want to make sure you understand my question. You cover Model S from 100,000-150,000 if you buy the warranty before 100,001. But if I buy the 100,000-130,000 at 99,999, and at 101,000 I want to extend it to go to 150,000, you won't do it? I'm basically trying to break it up into 2 payments.

Ah understood. No we are unable to do that. once you breach the 100k mile point for Tesla's, you can no longer extend any longer outside of the coverage terms you are already in.

My S is at almost 80k miles, but still covered bumper to bumper via the CPO warranty. Does X-Care offer any discount in purchase price because the car is still under warranty vs. an out of warranty 80k mike car?

We can do custom quotes for these types of circumstances. Please send us an email with your vehicle specifics, when is your warranty valid until, how much longer coverage do you prefer, and we can help you through it.

[email protected]

Read the attached pdf's to the OP post. The list of excluded / non-covered items is very extensive. I don't see the point in an extended warranty if doesn't cover items like the battery or drive train items. This seams to be a typical theme of most extended warranty programs.
Good thought. However, for me, Tesla covers those 2 very expensive items up to 8 years (or related mileage) for my car. I would not expect an extended warranty to cover a cost of over $15,000 for an item unless the cost of coverage is a lot more expensive.

And to add that yes, while the list of exceptions are quite a few, the list of expensive things that can fail is even larger. As they say, to each their own. To some, it is worth it, to others it isn't.

Last edited: