Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Not Available unless purchased through Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you and I see extended warranties differently. We don't necessarily look to an extended warranty to just protect us from any past negligence or defects but to offer us complete peace of mind for repairs. We also usually keep our cars for about 6 years so 4 years of coverage is not sufficient for us and this is where the thread's topic of Tesla not selling an extended warranty to anyone but the original owner comes in. Every other car manufacturer we have bought cars from offers the extension of the warranty at additional cost. Mercedes for example allows you to extend the CPO warranty for up to 7 years.
I totally see your point. I also keep cars long term (typ 8-10 years). I think the main difference between us is that I don't (personally) place much value on the peace of mind offered by an extended warranty. I tend to look at them in purely fiscal terms, where the cost of the warranty is greater than the expected value of the repairs (essentially, you are buying an insurance policy). I'd rather "self insure" (or "roll the dice", your choice :wink:).

But I tend to do all my own maintenance and minor repairs, and I know trusted independent shops for major work (I never go to the dealer once the warranty ends), so that probably plays into the peace of mind thing.

With a used S, I'd probably lean towards getting an extended warranty (if possible) since doing my own work/going to an independent shop isn't really an option (yet).

A purchased a used Tesla Model S privately earlier this year however when I contacted my Tesla Service Center about purchasing the extended warranty (Extended Service Agreement) for the vehicle I was told it was not available for cars purchased from a 3rd party (ie not from Tesla new or CPO). I was a little surprised by this as all the restrictions that I have seen center around the expiry of the new vehicle warranty, which I am still covered under. Has anyone who has purchased a used Tesla Model S privately been able to purchase the extended warranty?

Hopefully this will help other MS owners, I emailed ownership regarding purchasing an extended service agreement for a private party purchase and this is the reply I received.

" Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Technical Support. You can purchase an extended service agreement through Tesla Motors as long as vehicle is not a salvage titled vehicle and you purchase the extended service agreement before the original warranty expires. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact Technical Support 24/7 at [email protected]
or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752)"

Follow up email on how to purchase

"You can purchase the extended service plan on our teslamotors.com website under the support tab and then under Service Plans.
If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact Technical Support 24/7 at [email protected]
or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (837520)"

Hopefully this will help other MS owners, I emailed ownership regarding purchasing an extended service agreement for a private party purchase and this is the reply I received.

" Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Technical Support. You can purchase an extended service agreement through Tesla Motors as long as vehicle is not a salvage titled vehicle and you purchase the extended service agreement before the original warranty expires. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact Technical Support 24/7 at [email protected]
or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752)"

Follow up email on how to purchase

"You can purchase the extended service plan on our teslamotors.com website under the support tab and then under Service Plans.
If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact Technical Support 24/7 at [email protected]
or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (837520)"

This is useful to know. Thanks for share! Now if they can offer the same courtesy for their CPO cars...

Have there been any new developments on this? I'm looking to possibly purchase a private party model S and I'd like to purchase the ESA after the sale once I've determined my needs better. Based on fstech's post, they are allowing this via the website. If necessary I can ask the seller and purchase the ESA through their account first and then have it transferred to me.

Thanks in advance

I sent basically the same question to the same email address and got the opposite answer:

My email:

Hello,

I'm considering buying a used Model S from a third-party dealer who has it in their pre-owned inventory. If I do buy it, can I purchase the extended warranty (a.k.a. "Extended Service Agreement") from Tesla after taking delivery, or is it not possible to extend the original factory warranty in this case? The dealer and I are both in Washington state.

Thanks in advance.​

Their response:

Hello <name>,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Technical Support,

This is a very good question. At this time, the Extended warranty can only be purchased from the original owner of the vehicle. So you do want to be aware due to after 50,000 miles any warranty issues would not be covered by Tesla. If you have any additional questions about our service plans you can check out our FAQ by visiting Service plans or contact your local service center and your service team and definitely answer any other questions that you may have.​

I spent a lot of time looking for a good used P85. I ended up determining that buying from anyone but the original owner or CPO from Tesla could lead to issues with warranty work etc. I was lucky enough to find an owner that already purchased the extended warranty. I just had yearly service performed and tried to get the service history. They would not provide history. I would be very concerned buying from a dealer.

I will say that my first service center visit went better then expected. But being a pessimistic person, I would worry about how the visit would have been if out of warranty.

I recently purchased another Model S from the original owner and I purchased the ESA as part of the deal with him. If you really want an ESA I would only purchase it through the original owner or purchase a Tesla with an active ESA. As others have noted including myself you are going to get different answers when you contact support.

It would have been very frustrating to have purchased a used Tesla and then denied the ESA after receiving an email that said otherwise.