Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KeoweeX

May 25, 2020
SC
We have a 2016 Model X and are not able to get an extended warranty through Tesla. We tried Carshield and it turned out most of the items in the care were NOT covered, despite them telling us they were originally. Are there any other companies that cover Teslas? We have free supercharging as long as we own the car and are considering upgrading to a Y but not willing to wait over a year to get one custom. Trying to figure out options. Thanks in advance.

I went with Xcare on our out-of-warranty 2017 (also with unlimited supercharging) Model X. Their cost is competitive with Tesla's own extended warranty prices, with the benefit of only $100 deductible per warrantied claim vs. Tesla's $200 deductible per warrantied claim. I have no relationship with the company, other than being a customer, but feel free to PM me if you want my Xcare representative's info. Personal tip: Research them before you reach out, as like with all insurance/warranty people, some of their personnel can a bit pushy/semi-aggressive about locking in a contract and securing your payment.

Reactions: tengtengvn
The XCare rep, customer service rep and claim adjuster have been super friendly and informative when I talked to them. My MCU failed so I'm going through the process of replacing it. The service center claimed that they don't work with 3rd party warranty but when I sent the quote to XCare, the adjuster called SC shortly to check with them and approved the quote.

The XCare rep, customer service rep and claim adjuster have been super friendly and informative when I talked to them. My MCU failed so I'm going through the process of replacing it. The service center claimed that they don't work with 3rd party warranty but when I sent the quote to XCare, the adjuster called SC shortly to check with them and approved the quote.

I think the Tesla SC is hit or miss with how they deal with 3rd parties. Mine would not deal with XC, instead I had to do a 3-way call where XCare provided a credit card number to pay for my service. It was pretty straight forward.

How does the MCU replacement work these days? Are you able to upgrade to MCU2 and pay the difference? Or are all MCU fixes automatically MCU2?

I think the Tesla SC is hit or miss with how they deal with 3rd parties. Mine would not deal with XC, instead I had to do a 3-way call where XCare provided a credit card number to pay for my service. It was pretty straight forward.

How does the MCU replacement work these days? Are you able to upgrade to MCU2 and pay the difference? Or are all MCU fixes automatically MCU2?
My problem was quite unique. When navigating the blue line showing direction doesn’t appear on the main screen. SC tried their best several times but couldn’t fix it. They reloaded the map tiles and the firmware but when I got the car back, the issue wasn’t fixed. They recommended to upgrade to MCU2. I only paid the deductible and Xcare paid for the rest.

Reactions: ngng
Purchased 4 year plan for Used model X. The company is very thoughtful and helpful. I’m very pleased so far. Probably wouldn’t have purchased car without the extended warranty option.
Thanks to you both for the awesome shout outs! We are truly blessed to be able to provide support for our community, and appreciate all of our members trust and posts! Keep 'em coming :)

Is Xcare an exclusionary warranty? I cant find any specifics on the site.

Yeah, there are a few exclusions. I'm not up to date on it, but battery pack and drive units I believe. Though, I think you can pay extra for battery coverage now.

This info might be out of date, but I pulled it from my original docs:

EXCLUDED ITEMS INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
Scheduled maintenance, adjustments, and wear items. Alignments, coolants,
12V lead-acid batteries, drive battery, battery cable, electric motor, hoses,
clamps, belts, mobile connector, wall connector, any future connectors, and any
related charging adapters, tires, wheels, wheel covers, wheel lugs and lug nuts,
valve stems, light bulbs, interior LED lighting, lenses, brake rotors, brake drums,
brake shoes, brake pads, upholstery, paint, glass, trim, moldings, weather strip/
body seals, door bushings/bearings, body panels, sheet metal, bumpers, frames
and structural parts, sub-frames, brackets, convertible top assemblies, vinyl
top, environmental waste charges or disposal fees. Any options/equipment not
originally installed by the vehicle manufacturer.