Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty or not? 2017 X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gangzoom

May 22, 2014
Uk
Our X is going to be 4 years old end of this month, times fly when you are having fun :).

It however also means the factory warranty is due to expire, there is an option to extend the warranty to 4 years for $90/month here in England. The extended warranty doesn't cover air suspension or lights, but it does seem to cover everything else with $0 excess. Looking around third party warranties cost more or equal, but requires payments to Tesla up front for repairs, than you claim the costs back with various 'conditions' in place.

The car has been so far the most unreliable car I have ever owned, with all the 'common' stuff been done on it already - Drive shafts, seats, suspension arms, FWD sensors updated, front door actuators done etc. However in the last 12 months things do seem to be OK.......The car has 'unlimited' free Supercharging, FSD (with HW3 upgrades done), and with less than 5% battery degradation at 45k miles am more than happy to keep the car till the 8 year battery warranty it up. Its recently taken us on a lovely road summer road trip to Scotland and next year we'll be going to Norway with the extended family in it, so the car it self we 100% love as there is no other family wagon onsale today that offers so much drama when doing such mundane job as getting from A to B.

So the question is do I go for the extended warranty or not??

I think it's likely I'll end up buying the warranty in the next week, but part me just wonder 'what if nothing breaks in the next 4 years and 50K mile, that warranty cost has done to waste'.....hard to imaging I know, I recon there is more chance of Tesla delivering FSD in the next 4 years than the X not needing any repairs till 2025 :D.

51423170376_f70f843f8f_k_d.jpg

51225696454_fcdf4b0cd8_k_d.jpg

Reactions: Hebert and P85_DA
A common question. Is it $90/month for the next 4 years? Think about it this way, if you were to put the $90/month into an interest bearing account, would it accumulate enough or more to cover all maintenance over the next 4 years that would occur? Then if you have no repairs you can have a nice holiday at the end. If it has been unreliable, maybe everything is now fixed and up to par, and those items won't fail. There is also the peace of mind you get if you have the coverage that you won't be out of pocket (other than the $90/month). Some people like this, I am one. The X is expensive to repair. I know this post is back and forth, but just wanted to give you a few more ways to look at it. I love my X and luckily it has been reliable, but a few items I did have issues with were fixed promptly and properly. Also, I think third party programs should be avoided as you always seem to be out money there, one for the contract and more for the payments to Tesla, plus the hassle of getting refunded.

We are so pleased with the support we've received from our community, and continue to add members daily. When nobody would cover a second owner on a Tesla, we were there. When Tesla brought Model 3 and Y to market and didn't offer extended coverage, we were there. We sponsor owners clubs across the U.S., EV/Earth Day events, and every day we help our membership to avoid sticker shock in the service lane. No marketing here, just a sincere Thank You to all of our members who have joined XCare and helped us to become the first and the best. You are the reason we do this.

My car is very similar to the OP - 2017 100D X. Also similarly to the OP, I got a lot of stuff repaired in the car - I've been in service 29 times during the warranty period and all the common failures were fixed (FWD sensors, shudder, FWD rubber seals, faded out applique, rusted spoiler, uncorking, ghosting windshield, MCU2, FSD upgrade, etc.) The last year, though, was pretty uneventful. The upgraded MCU2 carries its own new 4 years warranty. Battery has its own 8 years warranty. The extended warranty carries $200 per visit deductibles.

Also, I think that extended warranty decisions would be more beneficial if one would make them not on one-by-one basis but as a general rule for all major purchases. I have been keeping tally of repairs to extended warranties cost for most of my major purchases and so far I'm over $30k ahead.

So, with that being said, I did not purchase an extended warranty betting that in the upcoming 4 years I will spend less than $4.5K in repairs. As a failsafe, I plan to use my over 5,000 in Tesla credits that I currently have no use and no plans for.

I've got about 72hrs to decided on the Tesla extended warranty, but a third party company has just offered to under cut the Tesla price by around 20% but also include cover for suspension. Still no idea what am going to do :).

I've got about 72hrs to decided on the Tesla extended warranty, but a third party company has just offered to under cut the Tesla price by around 20% but also include cover for suspension. Still no idea what am going to do :).
It is a tough decision but the devil is in the details. Many inexpensive warranties do not cover a lot of problems, so it is like health insurance without any benefits. You have to read the details of what is covered and what is not and consider what are the common items that are expensive and need repair on the vehicles after the 4 year mark is passed.

I am assuming that all repairs are still done ar a Telsa SC or mobile whether you buy the extended warranty through tesla or a third Party like xcare, but with that being said, if bought through a 3rd party, do you get like the step child treatment and you have a lower priority level than someone who buys the extended warranty from tesla or are they pretty responsive regardless?

I am assuming that all repairs are still done ar a Telsa SC or mobile whether you buy the extended warranty through tesla or a third Party like xcare, but with that being said, if bought through a 3rd party, do you get like the step child treatment and you have a lower priority level than someone who buys the extended warranty from tesla or are they pretty responsive regardless?
Tesla won't deal with anybody but the owner. Then process sucks, but that's on Tesla. Worst case you pay out of pocket and scare reimburse you. Tesla dosent care about you whether you're I warranty, or out.

Looks like xcelerate will have a price increase in their plans starting 1/1/2022. Are there other warranty companies that provide similar or more coverage than Xcelerate? From what was sent to me, their plans seem inclusive of most issues.

Looks like xcelerate will have a price increase in their plans starting 1/1/2022. Are there other warranty companies that provide similar or more coverage than Xcelerate? From what was sent to me, their plans seem inclusive of most issues.
Hey TigerTan, we do provide world class coverage, thanks for the shout out! The only increase is for 2016s as they will be entering the 6-10 year old price category on January 1st, so current pricing for all others will remain the same!

Reactions: TigerTan
XCare has been generally good and I would generally recommend them. I say generally good, because I'm trying to get an explanation why $1500 or a $10000 claim was not approved. Coming up on a 30 days since I've heard a peep and am out out pocket $1500, or Tesla would not have released my car.

Reactions: TigerTan