TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

extended warranty poll

Discussion in 'Model S' started by maxjamie, Feb 14, 2013.

?

extended warranty

1. no extended warranty

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. prepaid 4yr/50k maintenance

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. prepaid 4yr/50k maint with ranger visits

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. prepaid 8yr/100k maint

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  5. prepaid 8yr/100k maint with ranger visits

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  1. maxjamie

maxjamie Member

my MS delivery window is in about 6 weeks and wondering about how to or when the extended warranty option has to be purchased by. Just curious, anybody getting the prepaid maintenance 4yr/50k with/out ranger visits or 8yr/100k coverage?
    How about a poll?

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I've had my S since the end of September and have not been contacted yet to purchase a maintenance plan. I don't think anyone has.

That said, I intend to purchase the prepaid maintenance plan w/Ranger service. The extended warranty purchase decision can presumably deferred to a later date.

3. maxjamie

maxjamie Member

Interesting, thanks for the heads up. Guess I won't plan on commiting to any plan for a while

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I guess I'm a bit out of the loop, but wasn't aware there was an 8-year option. I'd probably go for that (because my mileage is so high, I'd probably eat up the 100k miles in about 5 or 6 years). Only concern is whether Tesla will be around in 8 years. (Clearly, I'm hoping so!)

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Totally depends on the cost/benefit.

6. byt

byt Member

Agree!

7. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Given this is a first year production car and I tend to keep my cars for a decade, the 8 year plan is a no-brainer for me.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You'll have 30 days to decide after Tesla send you notification. They haven't sent out any notifications yet, I understand they still working on the agreement to make sure it works in all 50 States + Canada.

9. kgb

kgb Member

as for poll: count me in. This is a new car company, with new technology, this is their second model, but its first model year.

if the price is what they quoted earlier (when they announced the price increase) then I think I'll probably do it. I also tend to hold cars for a while, unless its a lemon.

10. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

I was wondering why there were so few No's. Poll must be asking which warranty you *intend* to purchase. I'll probably get something, but depends on the cost.... (I voted NO since I don't have one yet)

11. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

As I understand the options, the extended warranty that covers years 5 through 8 will be something we can buy in year 4, not something we have to commit to buy up front. That's certainly how most other car manufacturers handle it.

12. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I'll be taking my chances on this one....
    1. That Tesla is still around.
    2. That the car is still around.
    3. That I'm still around.

13. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

I'm a bit confused...

I was under the impression that the prepaid maintenance plan and the extended warranty were separate things requiring separate purchases? This poll seems to merge them and mix them around a bit.

14. steve841

steve841 Active Member

They are and they are not ... the poll question, as I see it, shows, no prepay, prepay during warranty, prepay for warranty + 4 yr / 30 miles over factory warranty. None of us still know the final details on the actual extended warranty.

15. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Interesting analysis; some notes:
    1. A "pay as you go" approach for the extended warranty doesn't value the insurance aspect of the warranty. It's not merely covering four annual inspections.
    2. There is no such thing as an "8-year pre-pay plan". The extended warranty will likely be available for purchase any time up to the end of the primary warranty.
    3. We don't know the price of the extended warranty. It could easily be higher than you indicate.
    4. The warranties are for the lesser of 4 years or 12,000 miles/year. If you drive more than 18,000 miles/year, the amortization period is shorter and the pre-payment has a lower rate-of-return threshold.