Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty Price Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren't some components of the air suspension covered? It's not all the "shock".

From a website: Continental Bundled Air Suspension Conversion Kit (LC-95-02-BUN-4) | Strutmasters.com - These components will fail:

AIR SPRINGS
COMPRESSOR
AIR DRYER
SOLENOIDS
ELECTRONIC MODULES

With respect to the air suspension, shocks == Air Springs? Would Tesla or someone here say that "Shock" encompasses all of those components above?

BTW - California and Florida owners can get a full refund if you ask for it within 60 days, everywhere else 30 days.

To cancel this Vehicle ESA, You must mail it to Tesla, along with a notarized affidavit that states the mileage on Your Vehicle at the date of Your cancellation request. The right to cancel this Vehicle ESA is not transferrable by You and shall apply only to the original Vehicle ESA purchaser. The amount of Your refund is subject to the following:

(a) Within First 31 Days (4*) – Without Claim: You may cancel Your Vehicle ESA within the first 31 days(4*) of the Vehicle ESA Purchase Date and receive a full refund provided that You are the original Vehicle ESA purchaser and have not filed a claim.

* 4 - Except for California and Florida, which shall be within the first 60 days.

I'm trying to get answers from Tesla about what parts of the air suspension are covered. I'm going to buy the warranty now, and if Tesla can't give me satisfactory answers or 60 days comes up, I'll ask for a refund.

I asked whether the air suspension was covered by the extended warranty. Lenny at the Rockville Service Center asked headquarters, and got a reply (which he forwarded to me) that if you have the extended warranty and years 5-8 of the service plan, the air suspension is covered.

I asked whether the air suspension was covered by the extended warranty. Lenny at the Rockville Service Center asked headquarters, and got a reply (which he forwarded to me) that if you have the extended warranty and years 5-8 of the service plan, the air suspension is covered.

I got this reply from ownership@

There are a few aspects to our service offerings, including the standard limited warranty that covers the vehicle for 4 years or 50,000 miles from manufacturing defect, and whatever costs to service such an issue. We offer an Extended Warranty that extends the coverage to 8 years or 100,000 miles.

We also offer Service Plans, covering the annual servicing of your Model S for 4 years. There is also an extended Service Plan, that extends the covered servicing to 8 years. We also have options for Ranger Service, which will cover a Ranger Remote Service Technician to visit the location of your Model S, as opposed to you having to bring it into a Service Center.

The Service Plans cover annual inspections of your Model S, refill of fluids, and replacement of the windshield wipers and brakes if necessary.

Full explanation of our Service Agreements can be found here: http://www.teslamotors.com/service#/service-plans

Regarding your Air Suspension, we cover repair or replacement of parts due to defect in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla. We would need to inspect the suspension and determine if the fault is due to damage, defect, or normal ware and tear.

All too common, but it depends on who you ask. But, I'm going to try to get a straight answer in writing from Tesla.

The following is what Tesla replied to Lenny Peake (who is now in charge of the area from FL to MD) in response to my inquiry:

"Air suspension would be a wear and tear item, and not covered under the Tesla ESA. This would be covered if someone is up-to date on their service plans, though. We have stated everything except tire wear is covered if someone is up-to-date on their services and the car is under warranty.

I copied in the rest of the team, because I think this is a good question. I attached the ESA and highlighted the portion in question.

If someone is up to date on their service plan & warranty, they are totally covered up to 100,000 miles or 8 years. (except tire wear)."

If someone is up to date on their service plan & warranty, they are totally covered up to 100,000 miles or 8 years. (except tire wear)."

But the warranty is only the first 4yr/50,000 miles, so you cannot be under warranty during years 5 to 8 / 50,000 to 100,000 miles, and therefore cannot be covered under the service plan. Unless Tesla is implying that the ESA is a warranty, and that you therefore have to buy it too in order to get coverage under the service plan.

I think that Tesla should change the names for the service and warranty plans, It seems that calling the extended warranty plan the ESA or extended service plan is confusing. It should be the EWA because it really is an extended warranty not service. Warranty is replacement of defects in material and workmanship, service is normal maintenance.

The following is what Tesla replied to Lenny Peake (who is now in charge of the area from FL to MD) in response to my inquiry:

"Air suspension would be a wear and tear item, and not covered under the Tesla ESA. This would be covered if someone is up-to date on their service plans, though. We have stated everything except tire wear is covered if someone is up-to-date on their services and the car is under warranty.

I copied in the rest of the team, because I think this is a good question. I attached the ESA and highlighted the portion in question.

Was this before they said you only have to bring the car in for service when you felt like it?

So I guess the other question I have to ask Tesla is about section C - do we need to service the car? Since elon announced the original warranty isn't tied to having done service they haven't updated their docs.

This is somewhat confusing, so the way I interpret this is that to have your air suspension covered you must be under warranty and have had your services done. So if you are up to date on services and have the extended warranty your air suspension along with everything else, except tires would be covered. This is contrary to what Elon said in that your warranty is valid even if you do not purchase the service plan.

That response does not make any sense when taken in the context of what the actual agreement states. If the air suspension is considered a wear and tear item, then it is excluded from coverage under the plan as stated in the first sentence of Section E:

"This Vehicle ESA does not cover certain parts or any Vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from normal wear or deterioration, abuse, misuse, negligence, accident, lack of or improper maintenance, operation, storage or transport, including, but not limited to, any of the following:"

The fact that you do or do not keep up with the required annual services has no effect on what is covered or not. They can, however use your lack of scheduled maintenance to deny you a claim on the "warranty" plan, as indicated by the first paragraph of Section C.

As stated in an earlier post, TM really needs to stop confusing its people and customers by mixing up the terms "warranty" and "service" in the nomenclature for this plan. This is an insurance plan - nothing more. You are buying insurance against the risk that something breaks in years 5-8 that is covered by your policy. A prepaid service plan is totally different and purchasing the extended warranty plan for $2,500/$4,000 now is not the same as the prepaid service plan and does not entitle you to free annual service inspections in years 5-8.

However having said all that, there is a good chance that TM will be "nicer" to customers that have bought the extended warranty and/or service plans and not take a hard line when dealing with service claims for items. Of course, that's all speculation on everyone's part until things start actually happening four years from now.

I saw that the ESA is transferrable to a new owner. But is it transferrable or in some way able to be re-applied if I were to do one of the "Loaner Swaps" in the future? I could see myself potentially swapping for a Performance version in the future. So if I bought the ESA, could I xfer it to the new car instead? Or would I just lose the value of it?

Hey guys, I'm new here and my P85 went into production on Friday. Very excited!

I only wanted to point out two things. Even though Elon said in a blog post of 4/26 that lack of annual service would not invalidate the manufacturer's 4y/50k warranty, the ESA written agreement (which we all must accept when we purchase the ESA) states specifically that annual service must be completed in order to obtain protection under the ESA. I work in contracts all the time, so what you agree to in writing is binding. Tesla has had two months to update the ESA from the date of Elon's blog post if, indeed, annual service was not required. They have not done that, so I am assuming that the ESA will require an annual maintenance visit every single year you own the vehicle. So the actual cost of the ESA isn't $2,500 - it's actually $6,300 once you add in the 4+4 service contract in order to maintain compliance with the wording of the ESA.

The second point I'd like to make is that the ESA also has a $200 deductible "per part". So depending upon what Tesla considers a "part", even covering a warranted defect under the ESA could get quite expensive if there is a long parts list.

I saw that the ESA is transferrable to a new owner. But is it transferrable or in some way able to be re-applied if I were to do one of the "Loaner Swaps" in the future? I could see myself potentially swapping for a Performance version in the future. So if I bought the ESA, could I xfer it to the new car instead? Or would I just lose the value of it?

Per Section J(1) of the agreement:
Conditions:
1. This Vehicle ESA cannot be transferred to another vehicle. It can only be transferred to a different private owner of the same Vehicle.

The answer, according to the terms of the agreement, is no. However, I would guess that when that time comes, you may be able to work something purchase the plan for a pro-rated amount.

Hey guys, I'm new here and my P85 went into production on Friday. Very excited!

I only wanted to point out two things. Even though Elon said in a blog post of 4/26 that lack of annual service would not invalidate the manufacturer's 4y/50k warranty, the ESA written agreement (which we all must accept when we purchase the ESA) states specifically that annual service must be completed in order to obtain protection under the ESA. I work in contracts all the time, so what you agree to in writing is binding. Tesla has had two months to update the ESA from the date of Elon's blog post if, indeed, annual service was not required. They have not done that, so I am assuming that the ESA will require an annual maintenance visit every single year you own the vehicle. So the actual cost of the ESA isn't $2,500 - it's actually $6,300 once you add in the 4+4 service contract in order to maintain compliance with the wording of the ESA.

The second point I'd like to make is that the ESA also has a $200 deductible "per part". So depending upon what Tesla considers a "part", even covering a warranted defect under the ESA could get quite expensive if there is a long parts list.

Scumbag Tesla: makes price of extended warranty easy to find but has hidden costs and clauses.

The reply I posted above was provided at the end of April. HQ stated to Lenny and me that the actual shock absorber is considered a wear item, but the rest of the air suspension system would be covered by the extended warranty. However, if you purchase years 5-8 of the service plan AND also purchase years 5-8 of the extended warranty. the entire air suspension system is covered (assuming you had regular service performed).

Tesla and Elon never said that required service was NOT required...they said it is not required to be performed by Tesla. Recommended service needs to be performed and documented to ensure the original warranty and extended service agreement. I think this is totally reasonable. I purchased all of the plans so there is not a question as to who is responsible.

I don't think Tesla is saying you have to buy the additional 4 years of service plan. They are saying you have to have annual maintenance. You could still pay as you go and comply with the extended warranty.