Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty - Used Model S bought from 3rd party dealer or private party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am in the market for a used Model S. I would like to purchase from either a 3rd party dealer or private party. If I purchase a 7/2017 build it will have 4 years of New Vehicle Warranty. It says on the Tesla website that I can purchase the extended warranty no later than 30 days after the expiration of the New Vehicle warranty, so In this case it would be by 8/2021. However I saw on the FAQs on the Tesla website the following:

Can anyone purchase an Extended Service Agreement?

Owners (excluding 3rd party dealers and cars purchased from a 3rd party dealer) with Model S or Model X cars subject to the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which are still within the eligible purchase period can purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

Extended Service Agreement

Does this not let me purchase an extended warranty when I buy from a 3rd party dealer? I hope not but it seems to be the case. Anyone been able to get an extended warranty after buying from a 3rd party dealer or private seller?

The policy may be very clear. But Tesla is very inconsistent in applying it.

Tesla invited me to buy the ESA on my previous MS - even though it had passed thru a 3rd party dealer. I bought it and Tesla honored several warranty claims with it. So I sure wouldn’t state with certainty it can’t be done.

Tesla invited me to buy the ESA on my previous MS - even though it had passed thru a 3rd party dealer. I bought it and Tesla honored several warranty claims with it. So I sure wouldn’t state with certainty it can’t be done.

Yes. I am sure that things have been done by Tesla staff ignoring their own policy.

However, when it comes to my turn to demand Tesla to do the same inconsistency, all of what they have to say is they need to adhere to the policy even though there are others who aren't.

It's like as in asking for those who don't get a ticket for driving 70 MPH in 65 MPH zone.

Yes, there are many who didn't get ticketed but it won't help to cite that fact when being ticketed.

Last edited:

Did you buy it directly from a 3rd party dealer or did it pass thru the 3rd party dealer before you received it. Either way as you mentioned they are so inconsistent with so many things they do, thats why I asked. Thanks!

I wasn’t “ignoring the policy”! Tesla invited me to purchase the ESA. If anything, Tesla was ignoring their own policy.

I am happy for you that you have gotten a deal from Tesla.

However, for the purpose of this thread, for those who need to make a decision based on the ability to access the ESA.

I say it is safer to base the decision on Tesla's official posting rather than buy first then just hope that they can buy ESA regardless of the rules.

There were threads a while back where it was determined private party purchases were not considered 3rd party dealers, and in effect vehicles purchased through a private party were eligible for ESA purchase.

Extended Service Agreement for a used car?

I recall when i purchased my car back via private party in 2018 and had to move ownership through Tesla, they specifically asked if it was done though a private party sale or 3rd party dealer. For about a year, my Tesla page showed that I could purchase the ESA. Then sometime earlier this year I noticed that the option had vanished on my screen.

I bought mine CPO, the ESA was briefly offered but could not actually make it happen - then it disappeared and Tesla told me it was never eligible (does make sense I guess, in that the CPO extended it by almost 2 years from manufacture, but a further 2 would have been good).