Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty worth it for my 2014 Model S 85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

I just rolled over 80,000 last week so I'm out of warranty. I leave on a road trip Tuesday, so I have until then to decide on the extended warranty (because you can't buy it after rolling past 81,600 km).

It's expensive! $5700 for another 80,000 coverage (that's less than 3 years for me) and there is a deductible for every request, which sucks. I'm thinking about warranty work I had done during my ownership so far and there were a few rattles they fixed, 3 door handles, and the biggest thing was 2 joints in the suspension (both sides). Also my 12V battery gave me a "replace soon" warning right before warranty expiry. Good timing on that.

Is this something you guys / gals are buying, or just chancing it?

Knock on Aluminum, I have 118,000 km on it and did not buy the extended warranty. I average so far 40,000 km / year and that money does better in a Mutual fund ( if you have it ).

I am at the same millage. I didn't get it mainly because of the cost and would blow through the extended part in under 2 years.

:) roll the dice...live a little :)

Hey folks,

I just rolled over 80,000 last week so I'm out of warranty. I leave on a road trip Tuesday, so I have until then to decide on the extended warranty (because you can't buy it after rolling past 81,600 km).

It's expensive! $5700 for another 80,000 coverage (that's less than 3 years for me) and there is a deductible for every request, which sucks. I'm thinking about warranty work I had done during my ownership so far and there were a few rattles they fixed, 3 door handles, and the biggest thing was 2 joints in the suspension (both sides). Also my 12V battery gave me a "replace soon" warning right before warranty expiry. Good timing on that.

Is this something you guys / gals are buying, or just chancing it?
Waste of money!
I had 123,000 km and no major issues .
I did have a corrosion issue on my charging port and cable and they fixed it no charge.
Also had a corrosion issue with the battery pole which was giving me lots of errors on screen. They cleaned that up no charge too, long after the warranty expired.
My suggestion is to not pay it as the chances of something going wrong is minmal and even if it was expensive, it would be far less than the cost of the warranty anyway!

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
The centre screen, so I'm informed, costs about CA$5000 now. Not saying it's a liability. We paid $4100 for the second 80,000 km warranty, before the price went up. If you're lucky, you won't need the warranty, but no one knows how these cars will do after a large number of kms or 7 or 8 years.

Reactions: iKhalid
The centre screen, so I'm informed, costs about CA$5000 now. Not saying it's a liability. We paid $4100 for the second 80,000 km warranty, before the price went up. If you're lucky, you won't need the warranty, but no one knows how these cars will do after a large number of kms or 7 or 8 years.

I read somewhere that they're now doing glass replacement on the screen, rather than replacing the whole screen. Much less expensive. Anyone know? How common is this screen bubbling issue?

I agree. We also bought the extension package before the price went up as felt if any of the electrical components or the computer screen failed after 6-8 years we would be okay, especially with the problems tjat Doug has been experiencing lately. I like being secure with new technology.

I just bought the 2-year extended warranty last night on my way back to TO since I hit the 80k mark on the way, and I regret my decision already after I read about the deductible!

I never expected it to be as high as $270! I thought it was around $150. That means I have to wait until a few things go wrong before I make an appointment. Maybe it's my fault but I don't remember seeing the deductible amount in the description on Tesla's website.

I agree. We also bought the extension package before the price went up as felt if any of the electrical components or the computer screen failed after 6-8 years we would be okay, especially with the problems tjat Doug has been experiencing lately. I like being secure with new technology.

Tell me about it. I'm really glad I bought the extended warranty - my original warranty expired end of 2016. Won't use it for little nit-picks though due to the deductible (e.g. my charge port ring is making funny colours again).

I look at the extended warranty as buying peace of mind. Don't have to worry about it any more. I am not a gambler and choose to pay the money to not have to worry about it, especially with the various cutting edge technologies in our cars. Used my warranty several times already for little stuff. Don't see that changing and then there is the possibility of something big.