Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original warranty on our March 2015 Tesla S will be expiring in few months. My car has about 12,000 miles on it. I was wondering if it is worth buying 2 year extended warranty ( with deductibles and restrictions) or paying for any part failures in the future?

I am taking my car for its first check-up to the Tesla service station next week. Hopefully they can diagnose and fix items before the warranty expires.

Would appreciate feedback from people who took the warranty and those who skipped it and the rationale. Thanks

I was told that any Tesla can only have maximun coverage of 8 years/100k miles for its lifetime, so if yours already have the extended warranty, you will not be able to extend beyond the lifetime maximum coverage.

I believe the 8-year/100K mile warranty is for the battery. The warranty on other "non-consumables" items is for 4 year (at least on Tesla S) for manufacturing defects.

...worth...

It is up to your philosophy.

1) Tesla durability: Consumer Reports thinks onwers experience more repairs than others while many owners think Consumer Union is wrong because there's not much to go wrong.

2) Risk pooling: I prefer contributing to a repair fund to share it with the rest if I need it even if I might not need it and others might benefit from it and I won't ever. Others think it's a waste of money for such a thinking.

Of course, you don't need to think about it much if you have a crystal ball to tell the future.

I believe the 8-year/100K mile warranty is for the battery. The warranty on other "non-consumables" items is for 4 year (at least on Tesla S) for manufacturing defects.
There is a 8 yr/100k mile warranty on battery. What I was told is once the new car 4yr/50k warranty is up, the maximum extended warranty that anyone can buy from Tesla will only extend coverage up to 8 yrs/100k total from date of manufacturing = you cannot buy coverage after 100k miles.