Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
I'm at 44K miles and 2 years old and thinking about the extended warranty (my understanding is that it needs taking out before 4 years / 50,000 miles). Hadn't realised it, but it appears to be a 3rd party insurance policy (with Allianz)

Two options:

Additional 2 years / 25,000 miles
Additional 4 years / 50,000 miles

clearly given my mileage, and assuming I keep the car, seems like I need the second one.

But I would appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks :)

I will probably run mine beyond standard warranty as I typically am at 25K miles/yr so very interested to hear what you are quoted. And Tesla haven't released enough updates yet to tempt me into a new one.

Overall though this is one area I am disappointed with Tesla. Although different in the US, most EU car warranties for premier brand vehicles (VAG a notable exception) are 3yrs/100K or 3yrs/UL.

As Tesla provide an excellent 8yr warranty on the Battery/DU - in theory these parts are
a) the most expensive, and
b) the most mileage sensitive
I don't see why the remaining warranty is governed by mileage, as the rest of it is more age/time related, even the brakes have negligible wear

I really believe Tesla should revisit this to 3yr/unlimited and change (not a profit center) servicing to annual/25K miles or even just annual/UL

That aside for extended warranty by Allianz - well the Battery and DU are covered anyway so I would like to see reasonable pricing.

For comparison Audi RS5 warranty (no servicing, all parts covered incl engine) with 100GBP excess, unlimited annual mileage
50,000 miles £2200 pa
75,000 miles £2900 pa
100K miles £3900 pa

Ready to be disappointed.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The only thing I remember being commented on, was the small print on the Allianz warranty requiring the car to be serviced in line with manufacturer’s recommended schedule.

If that’s not something you normally have done it certainly adds more cost, at 25k miles that’s 2 services a year.

Reactions: WannabeOwner