Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been discussed before, my Model X will be going out of warranty the end of June. I need to make a decision soon about purchasing the extended warranty, it is around $5200 and since I have had very few problems in the last few years not sure it is worth doing. I have it on my 2013 Model S and used it once, I’m thinking of just dealing with the problems that might come up in the future. Would appreciate any input from those who have a Model X out of warranty and what repairs they have needed to do. I drive around 8,000 mile a year.
Thanks,
Merrill

Interesting topic, I'm definitely one of those that will not own a Tesla out of warranty. If I were able to keep a vehicle longer than a few years, the extended warranty in this scenario would prove to be worth it's weight in gold the first time you run into an issue. FWD issue will easily be $1K alone. MCU = $1.5K...These things certainly add up rather quickly.

The extended warranty is an insurance policy (i.e., legalized gambling).

For the additional 4 years/50K miles, the cost of the insurance, is probably around the 50% point of what it would cost if you didn't have the warranty. Some owners will save money with the warranty - while other will save money by not having the warranty.

With the warranty, each incident will cost you $200. If Tesla isn't sure which part might be contributing to the failure, they'll likely replace anything that might have caused the problem. When our front trunk latch failed, the service center replaced multiple components to ensure the problem was fixed and we wouldn't risk having the front trunk unlatch while we were driving at high speeds. But if we'd been paying out-of-pocket, we would probably have had them do more investigation to identify the specific part causing the failure and pay only for that part (of course, there's a trade-off in labor vs. part costs for those diagnostics).

The extended warranty is transferrable upon re-sale, or you can request a pro-rated refund of the warranty prior to transferring ownership fo the vehicle.

We've purchased 3 Tesla vehicles (current have a 2017 S and 2018 X) and have purchased the extended warranty for all 3 vehicles, and plan to sell our current vehicles before those warranties run out (8 years/100K miles).

For those that live in cold climates with road salt, and plan to keep their MX beyond the warranty period are most likely to have issues. I purchased as mentioned above the parts alone can add up not including the over priced labour. I also purchased at the first 6 months of ownership pricing.

You will need to make a trip to the service center to get an inspection from Tesla to approve the condition of your MX. Sign paper work and make payment.

excellent. thanks for the tip. i'll plan on doing that once the new "normal" arrives and they are open for such appointments.

what kind of prices or quotes are typical for Tesla specific extended warranty based on miles? I have 6K on my 2018 MX P100D.

It all depends on your personal risk-reward preferences. I debated it for a while and in most cases I do not buy extended service agreements but I think the MX is a special case. It's overtly more complex than their other cars. Only charging ~5% of the value for 4 years coverage seems like a decent price. I've already had my acceleration shudder fixed as well as a module for the auto-open doors. The fact that they started hiding the option to buy it the website tells us this might not be very profitable for Tesla? I have had all great experiences at my local service center.

excellent. thanks for the tip. i'll plan on doing that once the new "normal" arrives and they are open for such appointments.

what kind of prices or quotes are typical for Tesla specific extended warranty based on miles? I have 6K on my 2018 MX P100D.
Pricing is dependent on your choice of additional 2yrs 25k miles (total 75k/6yrs) or the full additional 4yrs 50k miles (total 100k/8yrs), the price will also differ if you’re buying within the first 6 months of ownership or after but before 4yrs/50k miles. Once you’re in the extended warranty period you will want to collect all your issues (if not major) into one service appointment so you pay $200 for the entire visit, rather fixing each issue separately and paying $200 for each of those visits.

I live in Canada so I paid $7232 CAD or today’s exchange rate $5135 USD all in with taxes 4yrs 50k miles at the first 6 months of ownership pricing. I had 8k miles at my 6 months of ownership.

Tesla knows average repair costs better than anybody, and while they say the extended warranties are not a "profit center", I am sure they are pricing them so they are not losing money either - in fact I'd imagine they cover some service center overhead. I suspect that Tesla downplaying the extended warranty option is more about trying to keep customers from coming in to the service centers unless they really need something.

So financially, odds are you will come out better without a warranty than with one. (Of course that will be true for some, not true for others, and that's no way to know which camp you are in until it's too late. FWIW it has been true on the 2 Tesla's I've had out of warranty so far, one for 4 years and one for 3 years). However, given that Tesla is not trying to make money on the warranties, the average extra cost is probably not much, plus you get peace of mind having it, plus Tesla gets the money up-front. So if you want a warranty, great, I'd encourage it. But I don't feel it's a likely financial win to have it over not having it, or a "must-have".

The $200 deductible being per visit rather than per item is a nice way to save if you can combine issues; but I suspect it's really another way they encourage you to not visit the service centers more often than you have to.

I know this has been discussed before, my Model X will be going out of warranty the end of June. I need to make a decision soon about purchasing the extended warranty, it is around $5200 and since I have had very few problems in the last few years not sure it is worth doing. I have it on my 2013 Model S and used it once, I’m thinking of just dealing with the problems that might come up in the future. Would appreciate any input from those who have a Model X out of warranty and what repairs they have needed to do. I drive around 8,000 mile a year.
Thanks,
Merrill

I for one will purchase the warranty. 5k is cheap compared to a battery or rear motor failure.

I made the decision last month and am awaiting the Summer to sign up so the COVID19 curve is lower.

IMHO....YMMV

As an ‘17 MX owner with ~1500 before I hit the 50k mark, I decided to take the $5k and invest it. I can never be confident that all big ticket items are repaired. However if something comes up I believe it is cheaper to pay than rely on insurance. BTW, the aluminum shavings in the A/C unit is rough. I had that and I was pissed even though it was a covered warranty item. I do plan to enjoy my MX Well beyond warranty expiration.