Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It used to be one could just purchase the extended warranty from the owner page, but somehow the link seems to be gone.
And there is a price bump.

Anyone would like to share the thought for the extended warranty?
We might still want to keep the car for up to 8 years.

I was over 50,000 way too soon. I purchased 4 yrs through Tesla. It was pricy but being the Model X, I felt I may need it. I make a good shade tree mechanic but I didn't feel I should be working on a 2 year old Tesla. If this gets us a few more years, then I won't mind tinkering on the ole girl as neede.

It used to be one could just purchase the extended warranty from the owner page, but somehow the link seems to be gone...

True.

Just like the off menu $35,000 Model 3, ESA has gone "off menu" too. It now wants you to go to a Service Center to buy ESA. That's quite a burden for those who live hundreds of miles from one.

...Anyone would like to share the thought for the extended warranty?

It all depends on your philosophy.

Some think it's a waste of money to pre-pay for some repairs in the future that may never happen.

Some think it's a good use of money to pre-pay for some repairs in the future that they never thought it will happen (people thought there can't be much of repairs for EV but then the MCU leak/bubbles/yellow happened, MCU eMMC happened (it is now covered for 8 years / 100,000 miles), HVAC failures happened, onboard charger failure happened...)

When Tesla says it's working on a million-mile battery, I didn't expect Tesla has planned that their MCU's eMMC will last only about 5 to 6 years.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INRL-EA20003-82493P.pdf

Tesla should have made the memory replacement more user friendly so owners can buy the memory and replace it by themselves.

What else that Tesla has planned its components to just barely last until the warranty expires?

most vehicles today last well beyond 15 years. My Prius is 15 years old and still running fine. I know of Ford trucks, Toyotas, etc. with 250,000 - 300,000 miles on them, so yes, I would consider something that only lasts 5-6 years as pre-mature failure and should be on the list of "consumables" like air filters.

I purchased the Model X extended warranty in late December (a little over a month ago). They were great about NOT requiring me to go into the service center (which is 300 miles away). I called the service center to get the email for my service center ([email protected]), sent them an email that I wanted to purchase the extended warranty, and the service center advisor was great about calling/emailing me and handling everything. He emailed me the paperwork which required a 'hot signature'. I printed it and manually signed. Then I snail mailed him the paperwork (emailed scan was not acceptable for some reason).

With the incredibly slow USPS, it took about a month for the snail mail to go the 300 miles across Oregon. Service advisor was great about being pro-active and telling me the mail had not yet arrived after a couple weeks. And then he called another couple weeks later and said it just came in the mail: fantastic service by Tesla, horrible service by USPS. Paid by credit card (remotely) once they received the contract. Love the Portland service center (and my Southern Oregon mobile service guy, CJ, is A+++ too).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tam
It used to be one could just purchase the extended warranty from the owner page, but somehow the link seems to be gone.
And there is a price bump.

Anyone would like to share the thought for the extended warranty?
No price jump. Last month as my 50k warranty was about to expire I canceled the warranty and got an unexpectedly rapid refund. The price I paid 3 1/2 years ago is the current price.

No price jump. Last month as my 50k warranty was about to expire I canceled the warranty and got an unexpectedly rapid refund. The price I paid 3 1/2 years ago is the current price.

Are you saying you got the full amount back?

That's good to know and makes decision easier because by year 3.9 you probably have a good idea how long you will keep it and how reliable it will be. I bought mine in the first 180 days to get the cheaper price.

Are you saying you got the full amount back?

That's good to know and makes decision easier because by year 3.9 you probably have a good idea how long you will keep it and how reliable it will be. I bought mine in the first 180 days to get the cheaper price.
Not only did I get the full amount back but I got a surprise by them also refunding the Ohio state tax!

Reactions: mswlogo