TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by taurusking, Aug 5, 2014.

1. taurusking

taurusking Member

Hi Guys

I am a hard core Tesla fan. I have few questions:

a. If I buy a used MS (60 kWh) from a dealer (I have one sitting in dealership at 16K miles) can I call Tesla and purchase an extended warranty? How much does it cost?

b. Is it safe to buy from dealership out of state? What are the caveats? I ran the VIN but it pulls out a different Model S with 85kWh battery pack and configurations and When I contacted the dealer they told me that it was a clerical error and sent me the Title and the original Car Fax.

c. I have an excellent credit score and is 1.99% lowest for a 60 or 72 month?

Please let me know guys. I appreciate your help.

Excited to get my TESLA but worried about buying out of state.

Thanks

2. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I would contact Tesla directly about "a" via e-mail before purchasing the vehicle. If possible, I would ask to buy it *with* the vehicle so it's an all-at-once purchase removing any risk of "oh, we were incorrect" after you buy the vehicle.

Also, if you're willing - can you post the first 10 digits of the VIN you were given? And was it a clerical error that they gave you the wrong VIN, or that the VIN and car specs are mismatched?

3. taurusking

taurusking Member

5yjsa1cg3d

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

5YJ = Tesla
    S = Model S
    A = 5 Door Hatchback LHD RWD
    1 = Manual Type 2 USA Seat Belts, Dual Front Airbags, Front/Rear Side Airbags, Knee Airbags
    C = 10 kW Charger, w/DC Fast Charge
    G = Base A/C Motor, Tier 4 Battery (51-60 kWh)
    3 = Check Digit
    D = Model Year, 2013
    Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

5. rlang59

rlang59 Member

For "b" just be careful that you don't end up with a situation like this one:

Suspicous Listing

6. taurusking

taurusking Member

I did check with that state DMV and found the dealer is listed with active license.

They have active website.

Is there something else I need to check?

I called TESLA and they told me they will offer extended warranty on a used car sitting at a dealership as long as the title is not SALVAGED.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Definitively go check the car on person and call Tesla if there are any questions.

8. rlang59

rlang59 Member

If you can go and see the car in person, do that. At least that way you have seen what you are paying for.

9. taurusking

taurusking Member

I wish I can go in person. It is 6 hour flight from my place.

10. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Be creative. Is it located in a place where a TMC member lives? I'm sure there are some who would be happy to check it out for you. Failing that, ask for a picture you send and the car together.

There are probably other ways to improve your confidence in the sale as well.

11. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

For that kind of money, I'd try to eyeball the car of have a local friend check it out, make sure the car matches the title and CaFax details.

O

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#12 dsm363, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    It is a major purchase. Don't risk $60,000+ on a car that at least you or someone you trust can't see in person. Good luck!

13. bollar

Oh, and pay through an escrow service. Many dealers who sell through the Internet are used to doing business this way.

14. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Yeah, agreed. Somebody on this board has to live near wherever that vehicle is.

15. DiversifiedOne

For C, try Alliant : Auto | Vehicle | Loans | Alliant Credit Union

16. taurusking

taurusking Member

Thanks a lot guys. I love to be part of this TESLA family.

Here are the details:

Black 60kWh
    Black Paint
    Panoramic Roof
    19" Wheels
    Textile seats
    Piano Black Decor Accents
    Smart Air suspension
    Supercharging enabled
    Single Charger

Does anybody live in Midland, Michigan?

Can somebody check it out for me please?

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advice. Can you please let me know more about this escrow? Is it much safe than asking Credit Union paying the dealer? Can you please send me a link?

I appreciate your help.

17. bollar

Here's one escrow service. It's not a recommendation. It looks like it would cost roughly $600 to use them: Escrow.com

The thing about escrow is that the seller doesn't get the money until you get the car. I can't see any fraudulent seller agreeing to an escrow.

If this transaction doesn't work, keep looking. There is a new used Tesla listed for sale every week or so in the DFW area. What you're looking for is bound to come up.

18. taurusking

taurusking Member

Is this a good deal ?

I did receive bunch of pictures with VIN from the dealer

Also I received the recent TESLA service with VIN and name of the service advisor. Please see attached.

Is this a good deal?

2013 60kWh
    Black Paint
    Textile seats
    Air suspension
    Super charged enabled
    Pano roof

Asking price $64500.

Attached Files:

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I can't comment on the deal aspect, as I haven't been watching used prices closely but I do have an observation that might be useful.

Some (including myself) on the forum, have a strong feeling about the tech package -- meaning it's the first option that they add to the vehicle, unless absolutely trying to get the lowest possible price. In fact, at one of the stores in CA I was told point blank "I won't sell a car without the Tech package." Some consider it "something that shouldn't have been an option; but rather should have been in the base offering". Not everybody feels that way, but you need to find out if it's important to you.

20. taurusking

taurusking Member

I agree I would like tech package but this is a price where I feel comfy....