Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the original owner of a model s, do I have to buy extended warranty now, when the car is new, or can I wait until the 4 year mark and buy it later?

If I buy it now, can I choose to not use it and get a refund later?

As the original owner of a model s, do I have to buy extended warranty now, when the car is new, or can I wait until the 4 year mark and buy it later?

If I buy it now, can I choose to not use it and get a refund later?

From what I understand:

1. You can buy it up to anytime before the original warranty ends.
2. You can NOT get a refund for any unused portion - instead the warranty continues on with the car if you sell, etc. But technically then it makes the car comparable with a CPO or adds value to the car when being bought used.

-T

Thanks travwill. I don't drive a lot of miles, but I think I'll get the service plan for now. I just feel uneasy not having my car looked at once a year :). I guess I'll wait and watch as far as the extended warranty then, they may raise the price on it though in 4 years.

Extended warranty is refundable. At least it was a month ago when I sold my MS to a private party.

Aw really, awesome didn't know that. Either way though it is cool you don't really have to sign up for it until (before) the standard warranty of 4 years is up. I think you can feel out if your car is quality or issue proned somewhat the first 4 years and know if it is a good deal or not in your opinion... Plus it is worth a read because there are a lot of exclusions.

... you don't really have to sign up for it until (before) the standard warranty of 4 years is up.
Or 49,999 miles. "Whichever comes first," as they say.

Oops, my bad. Reading the agreement, it (the deadline for extending) is indeed the date of expiration minus 30 days. Doesn't mention mileage.

I'm putting myself in timeout for a bit.

Last edited:
Looking at at your signature it looks like our 70Ds went into production the same day, today :).

Sweet. Did you get the titanium color? Signature says platinum. I didn't get subzero, but looks like we got the same config. I got next generation black insides with black alacantra. The black on blue combination looks really amazing. I think the actual manufacture takes maybe 2 days. I wonder how long will they take to ship it over.

Sweet. Did you get the titanium color? Signature says platinum. I didn't get subzero, but looks like we got the same config. I got next generation black insides with black alacantra. The black on blue combination looks really amazing. I think the actual manufacture takes maybe 2 days. I wonder how long will they take to ship it over.

Good catch, I have no idea why I put platinum in the signature. Must have been thinking of something else. Signature corrected.

Did not know production only takes 2 days but I am glad they are able to do it so quickly. I wonder if the end of June refers to when it will be delivered to the SC or to us. Ugh, can't wait :)