Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2013 Model S 60. Tesla will not give me extended warranty since it was at an auction and the original warranty just expired on the 6th of september. Any recommendations on an after market, extended warranty would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
If I remember correctly, the ESA is $4,750 + Tax (Depends on your state) if you buy 180 days after you purchase car from Tesla. If buying from private party, it is the $4,750 + tax. Also, keep in mind there is a $200 deductible for each visit. See page two for deductible.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/vehicle_extended_service_agreement_en_us.pdf

Unless you find a reputable ESA - i'd be cautious about paying up a hefty amount to a third party. To help you decide, if you do find a third party ESA, I'd suggest you dig into the service history of the car. My understanding is Tesla will not furnish you that information. However, I'd still try. Also, try to get it from the party who auctioned the car. Far fetched but worth a try - just to have that information handy. Can help you determine if the Drive Unit has been replaced. Door handles, etc. The more costly repairs.

All that aside - I believe the 8 year/unlimited miles Drive Unit and Battery warranty still apply to your car. I came across something that early model S60 don't have unlimited mile DU and Battery warranty - instead it is 8 years with 100k miles. Sorry, I can't say definitively but something to consider/look into or maybe another member can elaborate on this.

I know OP says ESA from Tesla is not applicable but bringing up these issues for cost benefit analysis when comparing with any third party ESA - if one is available.

Last edited:
I don't know of any 3rd party companies offering plans for Teslas.

So, I would take the $4k the Tesla plan would have cost and just put that in a savings account if I was in your situation.

I’m seriously considering this for my 70D. $5k+ after tax covers quite a bit of repairs and at 39k miles the car has had no issues.

But on my 2013 S85 the warranty repairs were prettt hefty ($3k + for pano roof, new tpms system, etc) that all occurred after 50k miles and were covered on CPO warranty.

Also, keep in mind there is a $250 deductible for each issue addressed.

All that aside - I believe the 8 year/unlimited miles Drive Unit and Battery warranty still apply to your car.

Darn tesla doesn’t advertise the $200 deductible outside of what you posted. More incentive to self warranty.

8yr 125k miles still applies for the 2013 S60.

This was the biggest reason I passed on two used ones at dealers. If you were unaware of this before your purchase, I'm sorry you had to find out this way. Keep in mind you still have the 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty from Tesla (I'm pretty sure that's applicable on the 2013 MS 60).

While looking at one of the dealers, they did have a 3rd party warranty company that was willing to write a policy. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the name was. I'm also not sure they knew what they were signing up for. My best advice would be to contact as many reputable warranty companies as you can find and see if any will cover you. I usually only buy "exclusionary" policies where they only stipulate what is NOT covered. It makes it a lot harder for them to reject claims for non-standard components that wouldn't be listed in most other normal warranties. Good luck!!

If I remember correctly, the ESA is $4,750 + Tax (Depends on your state) if you buy 180 days after you purchase car from Tesla. If buying from private party, it is the $4,750 + tax. Also, keep in mind there is a $200 deductible for each visit. See page two for deductible.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/service/vehicle_extended_service_agreement_en_us.pdf

Unless you find a reputable ESA - i'd be cautious about paying up a hefty amount to a third party. To help you decide, if you do find a third party ESA, I'd suggest you dig into the service history of the car. My understanding is Tesla will not furnish you that information. However, I'd still try. Also, try to get it from the party who auctioned the car. Far fetched but worth a try - just to have that information handy. Can help you determine if the Drive Unit has been replaced. Door handles, etc. The more costly repairs.

All that aside - I believe the 8 year/unlimited miles Drive Unit and Battery warranty still apply to your car. I came across something that early model S60 don't have unlimited mile DU and Battery warranty - instead it is 8 years with 100k miles. Sorry, I can't say definitively but something to consider/look into or maybe another member can elaborate on this.

I know OP says ESA from Tesla is not applicable but bringing up these issues for cost benefit analysis when comparing with any third party ESA - if one is available.
Don't forget to factor the ~$1,500 you are OBLIGATED to spend for the four (12.5k mile interval) services due during the ESA's effective period. That brings it up well over $6,000. I'm rolling the dice and confident that not buying the ESA will ultimately save money.

• Informative
Reactions: Ghosty
Don't forget to factor the ~$1,500 you are OBLIGATED to spend for the four (12.5k mile interval) services due during the ESA's effective period. That brings it up well over $6,000. I'm rolling the dice and confident that not buying the ESA will ultimately save money.
Indeed - If you don't perform the service - contractually it will invalidate the ESA. My understanding is Tesla hasn't done that - but if you get a rep on a bad day - you may be out of luck. So yes, that additional cost must be a factor to consider as well.

However, I've read from others that Tesla, as a matter of practice, doesn't have an iron fist approach to this - same with the $200 deductible. But all that is circumstantial. If you want to consider true cost - these amounts should be part of any cost benefit analysis.

Side note: Just finished washing my car: going out for a drive. Beautiful day outside.

Reactions: Scoopa
Indeed - If you don't perform the service - contractually it will invalidate the ESA. My understanding is Tesla hasn't done that - but if you get a rep on a bad day - you may be out of luck. So yes, that additional cost must be a factor to consider as well.

However, I've read from others that Tesla, as a matter of practice, doesn't have an iron fist approach to this - same with the $200 deductible. But all that is circumstantial. If you want to consider true cost - these amounts should be part of any cost benefit analysis.

Side note: Just finished washing my car: going out for a drive. Beautiful day outside.

I asked the Service Manager at my Service Center about this issue and he said lack of periodic maintenance would not void the warranty, but I'm not sure if he was talking about the OEM warranty or the Extended Warranty. I would think Tesla would only have a legitimate gripe if the item that breaks would have been serviced during the periodic maintenance.

I asked the Service Manager at my Service Center about this issue and he said lack of periodic maintenance would not void the warranty, but I'm not sure if he was talking about the OEM warranty or the Extended Warranty. I would think Tesla would only have a legitimate gripe if the item that breaks would have been serviced during the periodic maintenance.
That's true of the factory warranty, but the ESA is a contract not subject to warranty law.