TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Extending a CPO Roadster Warranty

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by shrink, Jun 7, 2016.

1. shrink

shrink Member

I know several of you fellow CPO Roadster owners have extended your warranty and was just wondering how you went about doing it. My original 37-month, 37,000 mile CPO warranty will expire in 9/2016 and I really want to extend it. I called my local SC today to schedule annual service a couple months early. I'm getting way too many "Power Limited" messages after a couple of miles driving in this 100+ degree desert heat and I figure I need a PEM cleaning and some general TLC.

I inquired about extending the CPO warranty when I made the appointment and unfortunately the staff there was skeptical as to whether I'd be able to do so. I mentioned a few other CPO owners have done so and they said they'd research it, but if possible, I'd like to give them some additional concrete information on how to do so.

Is Ryan Kennedy will working with CPO's, even Model S CPO's? I think he was the manager of the Roadster CPO program back in the day. Can anyone put me in touch with someone at Tesla corporate to make this happen?

Any help or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

BUMP. In the same boat (wanting to extend CPO Roadster warranty) as @shrink. We're a few weeks later than Shrink for our CPO warranty as well.

Looking for this information as well.

3. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

There's another thread that I posted about this somewhere, but you buy the ESA at the SC. Three years for both the battery and the rest of the Roadster costs $12,000, with a $200 deductible (per SC visit, not per problem). I was told that all CPO Roadsters are eligible. Your SC should call Tesla headquarters. This really should not be a problem.

4. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

5. shrink

shrink Member

Hmm - great feedback. Thanks. I hadn't seen that thread - maybe mods can merge these?

I guess now I'm wondering if you buy the ESA at the SC, and the SC doesn't think it's an option, what is one to do?

Will keep everyone posted. sethr, you might be hearing from me via PM.

I'm personally planning on just going to do $5000 for the car and skip the battery warranty. They replaced my battery last year and if I run into some issues I'll just pony up for 3.0.

6. asgard

asgard Member

It can be extended once and I am going through the process right now. Will post back if I am successful.

7. Habious

Habious Member

Wow.

I've often lamented the fact that I bought a used, out-of-warranty Roadster and, as such, have had to deal with every problem that's come up (some quite expensive) as an out-of-my-pocket expense.

I've sometimes thought "Geez, wouldn't it be nice if I could have bought a warranty for the car?"

But, I've spent nowhere NEAR $12K on unscheduled service items in the almost two years I've owned my car.

That's awfully pricey for "peace of mind".

8. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Based on my understanding that's about the price of 1 PEM replacement.

9. Habious

Habious Member

It was explained to me (just a few months ago, by Tesla, when I was dealing with "dead PEM" issues) that a reconditioned PEM was in the $7,500 range...and I can't imagine there are many "new" ones available these days.

When I had my battery go *poof, they had to pull it, freight it back to CA, and have it "refurbished". That cost around $4,500.

Maybe I've just gotten very lucky (and I can't speak to the details of all of it) but, I bought a car with no warranty...I'm on my second battery, and 3rd PEM...and I haven't spent $12K out-of-pocket.

A warranty is buying piece of mind. Only the individual can decide if it's worth it or not.

• Informative x 1
  10. sethr

sethr CPO Roadster #1089

I agree: it's an difficult decision without a crystal ball. My doubts centered around availability of parts more than the cost of the ESA. But I bit the bullet.

In line with the original post by shrink, I just tried to contact Ryan Kennedy by e-mail: I got a bounceback reply saying that that e-mail address was "restricted". Don't even know what that means beyond he won't get my e-mail. Too bad - he was very helpful when I was buying my CPO. I also wrote to someone else (the person who informed me the ESA was available) asking permission to post that person's contact info., but have not yet heard back. At least that didn't bounce.... Anyone here know anyone at Tesla who can answer questions like this/other issues about our Roadsters? There really should be someone, in my opinion.

11. asgard

asgard Member

Sethr, Ryan was the one who sold me my Roadster. I don't think he works there any more.

12. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

The markup on extended warranties has traditionally been very high in the industry as a whole. Most car dealers (I know Tesla isn't) make as much money selling "financial products" (extended warranties and financing) than they do on the actual vehicle markup. If Tesla is following that practice, and I suspect they are, then you are better off self-insuring if you are able to do so.

13. shrink

shrink Member

Dropped of my Roadster for annual service today and asked again about the extended warranty. I was simply told that they're still researching the issue and awaiting a call back, but will inquire again while my car is in for service.

Hopefully I'll have more info this week once I pick up my car.

14. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

when is your CPO Warraty up?

15. shrink

shrink Member

#15 shrink, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    Delivered 8/9/2013. CPO Warranty was 37 months, 37,000 miles. My mileage is low (8100 at delivery and a little over 16,000 now), so that would be 9/9/2016.

16. shrink

shrink Member

Well, I got my car back from its annual service and got a clean bill of health. I really need to have the PEM cleaned more often. Prior to service I was getting power limited messages after 1-2 miles of driving, but I drove 50 miles yesterday in the afternoon desert heat and never once got the power limited message.

Anyway, RE: the extended warranty it doesn't look like they're going to sell it to me. I guess they are applying the recent policy change of only original owners being eligible to purchase extended warranties to my CPO Roadster. I mentioned that other CPO Roadster owners were able to buy the warranty, but was told that in some cases refunds were issued and that in other cases this was prior to the warranty eligibility policy change. Applying this policy to all the CPO Model S's being sold, I'm guessing those owners will be unable to extend the CPO warranty as well.

While I certainly don't mind saving $5,000 and self-insuring instead, I'm disappointed. If someone has better luck or can share some contact information of someone at Tesla who might be more knowledgable in this area and able to make it happen, please message me. Just thought I'd share my experience with trying to do this.

Extended Warranty Ineligiblity.jpg

17. asgard

asgard Member

The answer seems a bit nuanced. You can extend a warranty only if the one expiring is the first and only time the car had a warranty.
    Very few CPOs would likely qualify. Mine happened to be a floor demo/loaner that had never been sold by Tesla but was a CPO because it had been driven a couple of thousand miles and happened to qualify.