Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extending a Lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it me?

So, the 2 year lease on my M3P comes to an end in May and my leasing company contacted me to see if I wanted a quote to extend the lease; I said yes please.
Now, in my simple mind I assumed that when they calculated my initial deposit and monthly payments over 2 years that all my payments plus my 12 month deposit plus the residual value in the car (as calculated 2 years ago) would allow them to move the car on and make whatever profit they make.
So, if I now extended the lease I somehow thought that my monthly payments would reduce but I was shocked to get a quote back that if I extended the lease for 12 months that my monthly payments woud INCREASE by 25%. Whaaaat? Does this make sense?
Not to mention that due to Covid, the car will go back with much less than my contracted mileage, plus of course the residual value in the car is now significantly more do to current demand for second hand cars.
Confused ….. any thoughts?

Lease company can charge whatever they want essentially, in my experience they'll often pull stuff like this hoping you'll just accept it. My advice would be to hand it back and get something else / new model if you can find a good deal that suits you.

This doesn’t make sense to me. My lease company quoted (slightly) lower lease figures for extending by 6 or 12 months. If you are keen to keep your vehicle for longer you can try and negotiate a lower figure and/or ask how they have come up with the increase in the lease cost for the 12 month extension.

I think you might be right. If the lease company sell it now, they’ll be quids in. That is reflected in the new quote.
I've a couple of colleagues who tried to buy their company cars at the end of the lease like they'd done in the past. Lease company wouldn't sell them - wanted them back to retail apparently.
If you look on Cazoo's website they have new SR Tesla's that are subscription only. More money in leasing them for a period then selling them on at inflated used prices.