Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extending range to unlimited mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been using wind turbines for the last several years. What if on a much smaller scale we used blades that were installed in a Tesla that turned as we drove on roads and freeways to charge the battery. Every time we drove the car we would be continually charging. I have a Model Y and the front of the car would be a great place to put it. Issues to resolve would be noise and how to deal snow and ice. This could take mileage to unlimited

Perpetual motion does not work. The wind turbine mounted on the car increases drag, causing the motor to work harder. The total result is a reduction in range.

Back when the Prius was new, somebody photoshopped an enormous wind turbine on a tall tower on top of a Prius. It was very amusing.

By the way, using a motor to run a generator is an old scam. The Bidini engine uses a battery to run a generator to charge another battery, and then reverses to go the other way. It is a scam that, a decade or so ago, was a real thing. That is, the scam was operating and taking people's money. I have no idea if it's still in business.

Perpetual motion does not work. The wind turbine mounted on the car increases drag, causing the motor to work harder. The total result is a reduction in range.

Back when the Prius was new, somebody photoshopped an enormous wind turbine on a tall tower on top of a Prius. It was very amusing.

By the way, using a motor to run a generator is an old scam. The Bidini engine uses a battery to run a generator to charge another battery, and then reverses to go the other way. It is a scam that, a decade or so ago, was a real thing. That is, the scam was operating and taking people's money. I have no idea if it's still in business.
Honda Clarity PHEV has a pretty good 1.5L ICE generator to run the car on electric while charging the battery at the same time while moving at 70 mph. During this time it gets 42 mpg at 70mph. Energy density of gasoline affords this maneuver when you not consider societal cost like carbon and health.

Honda Clarity PHEV has a pretty good 1.5L ICE generator to run the car on electric while charging the battery at the same time while moving at 70 mph. During this time it gets 42 mpg at 70mph. Energy density of gasoline affords this maneuver when you not consider societal cost like carbon and health.

Plug-in hybrids and EREVs have their place and some of them are decent cars.

That's not what the OP was talking about. The OP was talking about installing a wind turbine on a car to give it unlimited range. In other words, perpetual motion.

PHEVs and EREVs, by virtue of their gasoline engines, can operate where charging is not available by burning gasoline. But that's not unlimited mileage. It's just allowing your partial-EV to become a stinker. As I say, they have their place. But it's not what the topic of this thread was.

Plug-in hybrids and EREVs have their place and some of them are decent cars.

That's not what the OP was talking about. The OP was talking about installing a wind turbine on a car to give it unlimited range. In other words, perpetual motion.

PHEVs and EREVs, by virtue of their gasoline engines, can operate where charging is not available by burning gasoline. But that's not unlimited mileage. It's just allowing your partial-EV to become a stinker. As I say, they have their place. But it's not what the topic of this thread was.
I disagree:
Topic: Extending range to unlimited mileage

Onboard wind turbine - round 1
By the way, using a motor to run a generator is an old scam - round 2
Clarifying the scam of a motor to generate is not a scam - round 3 (myself)

Onboard energy production be it wind or chemical gasoline, etc. has the same desire to generate electricity to power the electric motor. We all know that perpetual motion does not exist in any environment with friction and gravity. We are all on the same team trying to reduce carbon footprint and free thought must not be poo poo'd. - IMHO

• Disagree
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I disagree:
Topic: Extending range to unlimited mileage

Onboard wind turbine - round 1
By the way, using a motor to run a generator is an old scam - round 2
Clarifying the scam of a motor to generate is not a scam - round 3 (myself)

Onboard energy production be it wind or chemical gasoline, etc. has the same desire to generate electricity to power the electric motor. We all know that perpetual motion does not exist in any environment with friction and gravity. We are all on the same team trying to reduce carbon footprint and free thought must not be poo poo'd. - IMHO

On-board generators are not unlimited range. They only run until the gasoline runs out. And there's nothing new or novel about them. There are several that you can buy today. The OP was a proposal for perpetual motion to make the car run forever.

It was either a joke or a scam. By someone who has only made that one post here on TMC.

Reactions: jboy210

Drag can't be any worse than the front end of my model Y. It's totally flat which mean the wind just bounces off. Put the blades there with air driving the turbine and being exhaled though some vent. So as the air passes through the fans turn generating electricity and passes on through. Way less drag than my Y flat front end

Drag can't be any worse than the front end of my model Y. It's totally flat which mean the wind just bounces off. Put the blades there with air driving the turbine and being exhaled though some vent. So as the air passes through the fans turn generating electricity and passes on through. Way less drag than my Y flat front end

I'm just going to presume that you're joking.

Not on the car. That would be stupid. Small blades mounted within the car in the front letting air pass through and exhausted while turning the blades and charging the battery

I'm not talking a wind turbine on top of the car. Small blades mounted within the car in the front. No not joking

Then you have absolutely no idea how this stuff works. Those "small blades" increase the drag on the car by more than the energy they produce. This is one of the most fundamental laws of physics.

ETA: Posted this before you edited your post. My reply to the edited version is the same. See below.

Not on the car. That would be stupid. Small blades mounted within the car in the front letting air pass through and exhausted while turning the blades and charging the battery

Then you have absolutely no idea how this stuff works. Those "small blades" increase the drag on the car by more than the energy they produce. This is one of the most fundamental laws of physics.

ETA: Posted this before you edited your post. My reply to the edited version is the same. See below.
In addition to encouraging people to acquire more scientific knowledge we need to hope that more attention is paid to people like Greta who have digested that knowledge and are hoping to disseminate it.

Experience is the best education folks, why crap all over the dudes idea? OP, suggest you try this and report back. Document with pictures. No doubt you can generate energy with a windmill on your car. Pay particular attention to the energy consumption graph while driving and compare it to the amount of energy you are producing. Baseline is the unmodified car. Worst case is you learn something and get some YouTube notoriety. Good luck!

Reactions: rexki