Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extending Warranty Beyond 100,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
Our early 2013 P85 is at 75K miles. At the end of our first long road trip, we encountered some problems on the return home, and while Tesla's Service Centers were fantastic to get the car repaired and operational again, the potential cost of those repairs raises a concern.

Especially with the early production cars, Tesla has made a lot of design changes since then, not only adding capabilities, but also improving the design (and hopefully the reliability) of the newer production cars.

It's possible that the early production cars may require more maintenance as they age - and as we get closer to the 100,000 mile limit on the extended warranty, there's concerns that maintenance costs could be higher than expected, even with the 8 year unlimited mileage benefit for the battery pack and motor.

For those Tesla owners approaching 100K miles - does anyone else have this concern?

Should Tesla provide an option to extend the warranty for an additional 4 years/50K miles?

Unlikely to happen.. Any ESA past 100k miles is going to be priced accordingly (i.e. much more expensive than the first ESA), because, of course, repair costs are going to be a lot higher, and Tesla isn't going to lose money on a 100k+ mile ESA.

They'd much rather you just buy a new (or CPO) car with fewer miles and existing warranty. As much as I love my 2013 P85+ and I do have the ESA, I likely will trade up if/when it gets to 100k miles.

And until there are third-party shops that can service these cars, with full diagnostic tools and manuals, I wouldn't want to be beholden to Tesla Service for a car with 100k+ miles and no warranty!

My Roadster has been out of warranty for four years, my Model S for two. I am not concerned.

I mean yes, something (it would have to be something more expensive than the warranty!) could happen. But that is true with every car, and so far nothing has. I have never had an extended warranty, and it has never been a problem.

That said, it would be nice for Tesla to offer the option.

I recall a SvC manager who both supported the notion of a 100,001-150,000-mile ESA and advocated for a number of owners who approached or exceeded 100,000 miles at the time. Tesla did not bite. That was half a year ago or so.

As quality improves, it would be interesting to see Tesla upend the industry once again with a 100,000-mile, 5-year warranty, followed by a 100,001-150,000 mile ESA for $5,000.

Even if they VIN-bound that (all cars after VIN *200000, for example), it would be nifty indeed. Even though there are holes in the ESA, any coverage is better than no coverage.

All things in good time.

Our early 2013 P85 is at 75K miles. At the end of our first long road trip, we encountered some problems on the return home, and while Tesla's Service Centers were fantastic to get the car repaired and operational again, the potential cost of those repairs raises a concern.

Especially with the early production cars, Tesla has made a lot of design changes since then, not only adding capabilities, but also improving the design (and hopefully the reliability) of the newer production cars.

It's possible that the early production cars may require more maintenance as they age - and as we get closer to the 100,000 mile limit on the extended warranty, there's concerns that maintenance costs could be higher than expected, even with the 8 year unlimited mileage benefit for the battery pack and motor.

For those Tesla owners approaching 100K miles - does anyone else have this concern?

Should Tesla provide an option to extend the warranty for an additional 4 years/50K miles?

@bob_p,

What sort of problems did you encounter? Also you mentioned 'potential cost' of repairs.....did you not get the problems fixed after you found out the costs?

Ski