Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord - 25' vs 50'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to pick up a 12 gauge extension cord for some destination trickle charging at 12A/120V. I dont know what the outlet situation will be at the destination this weekend or at other destinations in the future. I am debating whether to get one 50' cord, or both a 25' and a 50' cord.

What is the typical voltage loss when going from a 25' to a 50' cord? Would it be worthwhile to have both cords or excessive?

** I note that neither Tesla nor anyone on this forum recommends charging with an extension cord.

I have been using 25” 12/3 extension cords for charging electric vehicles for 9 years. Plug in Prius (20K electric charging miles) -Volt (90K electric charging miles)-Tesla Model 3 (SR) 5K miles. You can get by with one 50’ 10/3 ext. cord, but I would suggest a 10/3 extension cord. I have occasionally used my 100’ 12/3 ext cord (I normally use for charging my street legal golf cart) which works fine on all 3 cars, but I wouldn’t suggest for long term use. I get 4-6 miles/hour charging for all 3 cars. (Mostly 6 miles/hr for the Tesla) Go with the Husky brand. Other brands caused excess heat where the extension cord and the charger connect. TIP: randomly check the heat where the ext cord connects with the charger and the wall outlet. It will get warm, but should never be too hot to touch. The Tesla software will tell you if there is an issue with the power supply.

These links are super helpful, thank you!

We are traveling from Ohio to Cherokee, NC (cabin in the woods) and was considering an extension cord for the cabin and overnight charging.

I am a new Model 3 owner and should have the car in about 4 weeks. Any other suggestions?

Here is the video you need to see, I compared several lengths and gauges of extension cords to charging with no extension cord, and showed the voltage drop for each one.

I now have a modified 25 foot 12 gauge cord in my trunk. Modified in that I took the 5-15 female plug end off and put on a 5-20, so I can charge from either a 5-15 or 5-20 outlet with it and use the appropriate Tesla 2nd gen removable plug end to control the amperage.

Reactions: HTWOMS and GSP
I now have a modified 25 foot 12 gauge cord in my trunk. Modified in that I took the 5-15 female plug end off and put on a 5-20, so I can charge from either a 5-15 or 5-20 outlet with it and use the appropriate Tesla 2nd gen removable plug end to control the amperage.
I didn't want to modify my cord, but I just bought a little 6 inch pigtail that has a 5-15 plug on one end and a 5-20 receptacle on the other, so I can put that on there if I need to. My cord is a very thick 10 gauge, but it only has the 5-15R on the end.

Reactions: GSP and lUtriaNt

I carry a Camco "30 amp" TT-30 cable. One can then use various off the shelf RV adapters for 5-15 and 5-20 with it. On the UMC side, I have the Tesla 5-15 and 5-20 adapters, plus the evseadapters TT-30 adapter. Also a couple of homemade adapters between 240V plugs and TT-30.

Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
Here is the video you need to see, I compared several lengths and gauges of extension cords to charging with no extension cord, and showed the voltage drop for each one.

Thank you - this is very helpful!

I am planning to pick up a 12 gauge extension cord for some destination trickle charging at 12A/120V. I dont know what the outlet situation will be at the destination this weekend or at other destinations in the future. I am debating whether to get one 50' cord, or both a 25' and a 50' cord.

What is the typical voltage loss when going from a 25' to a 50' cord? Would it be worthwhile to have both cords or excessive?

** I note that neither Tesla nor anyone on this forum recommends charging with an extension cord.

A good quality 12/3 for 25 ft works fine as I used one on vacation for a week earlier this Summer. If you want to go longer, go with 10/3 but remember you are now hauling around for all future uses a cable that is twice as long, thicker and heavier. Unless you really think you will need to go beyond 25 feet plus the 20 ft of the mobile charger, I’d go with the 25ft. You also might want to consider a plastic bag or other protective cover to protect the charger portion from the rain.