Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord for 240V outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I am a brand new member and a very serious Model S prospective buyer. Apologies in advance if this question was already discussed, but I did not find it raised anywhere.

We would visit our in-laws frequently in our Model S, so of course I would want some way to charge my Model S at their house. They have a 240v outlet in their enclosed patio where their clothes dryer is located, but their patio is NOT close to their driveway! :frown: I would need a fairly long 240v extension cord to reach from their 240v outlet, across the patio floor, out the door (or out the window), and down to the driveway where my Model S would be parked. My question is: Is this possible? Are 240v extension cords available?

If not, I would need to bug them to put in a 240v outlet near their driveway. (and I would offer to pay for it.)

Any suggestions?

(Thanks in advance. I have already read hundreds of pages on this TMC site including 50+ pages about car insurance alone! Great info!!!!)

My question is: Is this possible? Are 240v extension cords available?

If not, I would need to bug them to put in a 240v outlet near their driveway. (and I would offer to pay for it.)

Any suggestions?

Technically, both NEC (article 625) and Tesla state no extension cords. As mentioned in the FAQ referenced above, this can have liability and insurance implications. You assume some risk, it's up to you if you feel comfortable.

I had the same situation, although my father-in-law's outlet was a NEMA 6-50 welder receptacle in his shop about 100' from the house. While it worked without issue, we eventually installed a NEMA 14-50 receptacle near the garage to make life easier. We'd have to unload the car and then go park in the grass near the shop.

If you're there frequently, I'd consider springing for a NEMA 14-50. For my father-in-law, it has an added bonus in that his camper / RV plugs into it as well.

I second what FlasherZ said. You'll be much happier having a NEMA 14-50 installed near where you will be parking. Don't forget there is a 30% federal income tax credit for installing EV charging infrastructure at your primary residence which expires at the end of this year. This means your in-laws would be the ones to claim the tax credit-- so let them pay for it and you reimburse them rather than you paying for it. You will get the tax credit for installing the NEMA 14-50 at your house.