Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord for charging at 110V?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm traveling to my son's home to visit for Easter.....and will do some slow charging via 110V plug in his garage. I had never charged with 110V, so tested out in my garage outlet today. Plugged in, at 108V was getting 12A charging and 4 miles/hr. I was using a 25' orange extension cord from my outlet to the Tesla cord and adaptor. After letting it charge for about 4 hrs, I unplugged it and both ends of my extension cord were warm.....not hot, but definitely warm.

My extension cord is just a standard orange 3-prong outdoor rated cord you can buy in Home Depot. Is this warmth normal....or should I be using a certain higher rated extension cord.....and if so, what type? Just want to make sure I don't burn down my son's house.....that would not be a good thing. :)

Since you are pulling the full 80% of a 15A circuit continuously, ensure that any extension cord you use is made with 14AWG wire. Some extension cords are made with 16AWG or even 18AWG wire, which may or may not start a fire but is definitely not rated for 12A continuous (80% of a 15A circuit).

If you decide to upgrade to the 20A adapter for your car (a 5-20 outlet), be sure you use an extension cord of 12AWG wire. These are significantly more expensive but can usually be found at Home Depot or your local hardware store.

edit: you can look at the small print on the cord itself and it should state the wire size. I happen to have one that doesn't say 14AWG but does say 14/3, which is 14AWG and three conductors including ground. (a nonstandard way of referring to the number of conductors, which usually doesn't count the ground, but here we are). Warm is fine but hot is not.

I only use a 12 AWG extension cord. In my case, I picked one up at Costco for a reasonable price (they had a pack of 2x 50' cords with nice quality connectors). Neither the cord or the connectors get warm after charging for 24+ straight hours. Harbor Fright also sells a 12 AWG cord at a responsible price with 20% off coupon. The plugs aren't as good, so you need to treat them a bit more carefully to insure they don't get damaged.

If you buy a new cord, also try to get one that's just long enough as needed. The longer the cord, the more risk of it being damaged and having additional resistance which will impact charging performance/safety.

@surfrasch, Do not use that extension cord. It’s because of “orange” cords like this that people think are “heavy duty” that Tesla says not to use an extension cord at all. Buy a 10 gauge or 12 gauge extension cord (definitely 10 gauge if you’re going to plug into a 20A circuit).

By the way it’s a 120V circuit, not 110V. So that 108V you were getting is right on the border of getting a red charge port light and not charging at all because of too much voltage drop. That’s because your cord was made for gardening tools, not for cars.

@surfrasch, Do not use that extension cord. It’s because of “orange” cords like this that people think are “heavy duty” that Tesla says not to use an extension cord at all. Buy a 10 gauge or 12 gauge extension cord (definitely 10 gauge if you’re going to plug into a 20A circuit).

By the way it’s a 120V circuit, not 110V. So that 108V you were getting is right on the border of getting a red charge port light and not charging at all because of too much voltage drop. That’s because your cord was made for gardening tools, not for cars.

thanks all.....can I purchase a better cord in Home Depot, or do I need to order on line?? Was thinking to stop in an HD this weekend.

OK, someone please explain why he needs a 12AWG cord for charging on a 15A circuit.

You could probably get away with a 14 AWG cord as that would match what's in the wall. However, an extension cord is constantly flexed, bent and stepped on. You want that thicker wire to insure it can pass that constant 12 amps without any risk of spots of high resistance, particular with long runs.

If you want to charge on a 20 amp outlet, you will probably have to order your extension cord online. At least I know my HD does not have it. HD worker looked at me funny at first, then asked "do you really have something that requires this plug (referring to 20A plug)". I told him yes, my Tesla pulls 16 amps continuous.

Also, if you charge from a 20 amp outlet, you will need to order connector from Tesla for $35. But trust me, all this hustle is worth it, your charge rate at 16 amps will be much higher than at 12 amps because of overhead.

Most HD and Amazon extension cords are not designed for continuous use 12A loads and the connections inside the over mold are usually poorly done and not properly machine welded. Heat from thin cords and old or poor quality outlets can crate resistance and arcing that can lead to the plastic melting, vaporizing, and turning into a fire. EV charging on an extension cord should be avoided and if you must it is better to use a 10G cord with proper commercial ends on a good 20A dedicated outlet, not a 15A which is generally not recommended. I have seen many cord failures from the improper use of extension cords with EVSE units. There are plenty of poorly wired or cheap outlets out there that can fail with these type of continuous loads so it is best to avoid 120V in general and more so on an extension cord. Charging a Tesla on 120V is a pretty silly thing to do and if it is needed it likely would be if you have no alternative and need to charge a long time further promoting issues.

Last edited:
It depends on how long you need, but I bought this OP, to keep in my car as well as put in use until I got my 240V charging solution installed.

$32 #12 / 50ft https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRS6S/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's not a very well made cord FYI, the failure point is the connection and the cord to plug joint which is not welded. Amazon cords of all types have high failures as they use very low quality connections. 50 feet is VERY long for an EVSE on 12G with this cord. Do not even buy a 10Ag cord on Amazon and almost all are junk.

Last edited:
I'm traveling to my son's home to visit for Easter.....and will do some slow charging via 110V plug in his garage. I had never charged with 110V, so tested out in my garage outlet today. Plugged in, at 108V was getting 12A charging and 4 miles/hr. I was using a 25' orange extension cord from my outlet to the Tesla cord and adaptor. After letting it charge for about 4 hrs, I unplugged it and both ends of my extension cord were warm.....not hot, but definitely warm.

My extension cord is just a standard orange 3-prong outdoor rated cord you can buy in Home Depot. Is this warmth normal....or should I be using a certain higher rated extension cord.....and if so, what type? Just want to make sure I don't burn down my son's house.....that would not be a good thing. :)

There has been a lot of good advice in this thread already.

I will underscore that Tesla does not recommend charging on extension cords for lots of the reasons already mentioned. It is not that it will not work, but that many people use poor quality parts and it is just inherently more dangerous due to all the added factors (more connection points, potentially damaged cords, lack of thermal monitoring, etc...)

With that being said, I personally do use an extension cord sometimes when traveling, but only when I have to (and I typically do some real safety checks when doing it to include even using my thermal camera to identify hotspots). Note that my solution has been to use this extension cord: Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for EV, 30 ft. with this adapter: NEMA 5-15P/5-20P to 14-50R 120V Adapter for EV, 3 ft. Now it does require carefully setting how many amps to draw (12a on a 15a circuit, 16a on a 20a circuit), but the cord is so crazy thick and it is built for EV charging that I have zero concerns about the actual cord being an issue (it is designed for 40a continuous!).

To my comment above, one of the added risk factors of using an extension cord is that the receptacle the cord is plugged into is not monitored for overheating like it would be if you plugged the UMC Gen 2 directly into it. The UMC Gen 2 has a thermal probe in the plug end that is an added safety feature to make sure the plug/receptacle is not overheating (say due to loose spring tension on the receptacle, etc...)

I’ve used this cord from Home Depot for 20A outlets:
Yellow Jacket 50 ft. 10/3 SJTW Outdoor Heavy-Duty Extension Cord with T-Blade Power Light Plug-2991 - The Home Depot

Again this is for occasional use when traveling, not a long term solution for routine use.

That is a good quality looking cord! Thanks for the link!

I would also add to this thread that folks should utilize the shortest cord that gets them the required results. Less distance is always better (lower resistance). Note that the UMC is 20 feet long, so with a 30 foot extension cord you have 50' of reach.

Do note that with that extension cord, it won't plug into a 15a receptacle (one without the sideways notch on the left prong). Even if your son has a 20a circuit, there is a good chance the receptacles are only 15a (allowed in US electrical code). So if I was going to get an extension cord like that, I would probably also get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017EUTHC0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That would allow you to plug into a NEMA 5-15 receptacle even if using that really heavy duty extension cord.

Then you also should purchase the Tesla UMC adapter for a 5-20 receptacle which will allow you to pull down up to 16a instead of only 12a. You must be careful though to only draw 12a on 15a circuit though. The combination of that adapter I linked to above plus that Tesla UMC adapter would allow you to pull 16a on a 15a circuit if you are not careful, so please don't do that. ;-)

We should also touch on a topic I am somewhat hesitant to give advice on: In the situation where a circuit is 20a and you are positive the wiring in the wall is sufficient (at least 12 gauge), that adapter I linked to combined with the Tesla UMC adapter will let you pull 16a even on a 15a receptacle (on a 20a circuit). There is some evidence online that even 15a receptacles are fine with the full 20a. I would be lying if I said I had not drawn 16a on a 15a receptacle but connected to a 20a circuit before (using that adapter I linked to). This is certainly out of spec for the 15a receptacle, though 15a receptacles are required to handle passing through 20a through their backstab / screw connectors and folks have said they usually use the same guts as 20a circuits just with no sideways prong. I have only done it during the day when I could monitor things. No issues. The proper solution is actually to replace the 15a receptacle with a 20a receptacle (which is what I did in my garage just for fun since the circuit was already 20a). They only cost a few bucks...

Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do! Being able to charge over a weekend while staying with someone is nice since it means less time on the road spent charging (superchargers, etc...)

OK, someone please explain why he needs a 12AWG cord for charging on a 15A circuit.
I'd rather have a 6 or 8, but 12 probably isn't too bad.

The resistivity of the wire increases as the wire gets thinner. As the resistivity increases, the voltage drop increases and the resistivity loss - power loss (aka heat) increases.

That's why you shouldn't run floor heaters on cheap extension cords, and the instructions normally say NO extension cords. Charging car is going to draw as much power as the floor heater.

It's REALLY EASY to see why, plug a small one in, look at voltage, plug a big one in and look at voltage. In this case, the 12 or more volts dropped is a lot of power/heat lost.

Reactions: azjohn
Oh wow guys, appreciate all the detailed advice, but I never thought this thread would get so complex. I don’t know all the plug codes.....just want maybe a 15’ extension cord I can store in my car, to go with the Tesla cord and adaptor that came with the car, that I can plug into a 120V plug in someone’s garage that I might visit a few times a year, to top off my charge maybe 3 nights a year. I’d just like something that won’t overheat, catch on fire, or damage my battery.

Any options for me? Something I could order off Amazon, get at a hardware store p, or order off a web site? I’m thinking now I probably only need a 15’ cord.....combined with the Tesla cord it should be long enough.

I never charge like this at home, have a Tesla Charger in my garage....so this is just for travel if needed.

• Informative
Reactions: Impaler
okay guys....update.....picked up a 15', AWG 12/3 SJTW extension cord at Lowes, rated at 15A/125V/1875W. Trying it in my garage for a few hours, connected to the long Tesla cord and adaptor. I'm charging at 113V, 12A....getting 4 mi/hr. Looks good so far, less voltage drop than before as you all predicted. Should be safe for extended time at 12A I'm assuming.....but will run a bit and see if the plug ends heat up again.

Again, I'm just looking for something I can store in the car, to top off my charge with when visiting relatives for overnight stays.....without burning down their houses! :)