Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord for supercharger help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to suggest something blindingly obvious that you definitely already know, and then follow up with lots of guessing.

Thanks for that - yes, it was blindingly obvious but perhaps equally obvious is that if I'm asking the question it is because that scenario doesn't always apply.

As for the liquid cooled cables - No, hardly any of them are set up in that way, and the ones that are - aren't going to run that fast anyway because my car is older and limited to 120kw charging. Well within their capability for the dual 2-gauge wires (which is what Tesla uses for the 250kw chargers that aren't liquid cooled!) without any special magic.

Reactions: BitJam
I know very little about this subject matter so please take this with an appropriately sized grain of salt. I am not 100% sure this is true as the Tesla to J1772 adapter will work for destination/wall chargers but does not work at superchargers. There has to be something different being done with the supercharger that is not being accounted for in the standard/traditional Tesla to J1772 adapter.

Perhaps see if you can locate the pinouts for a Tesla NACS adapter (their new adapter which enables supercharging to non-Tesla vehicles).

It's OK, I can explain the difference as I tried already accounting for that. The J1772 adapter that allows use of a Tesla wall charger on non-Tesla vehicles only has 4 of the 5 pins connected. The "proximity" pin is the one left open in the tesla side of that adapter. I solved that by connecting it to the same proximity pin on the SC cable that I was building.

I have not heard about availability in the USA of supercharger use for non-Tesla vehicles, but that adapter likely has some form of registered ID chip in it so that the customer can be properly charged for the power use. For Tesla vehicles, the car handles all of that.

It's OK, I can explain the difference as I tried already accounting for that. The J1772 adapter that allows use of a Tesla wall charger on non-Tesla vehicles only has 4 of the 5 pins connected. The "proximity" pin is the one left open in the tesla side of that adapter. I solved that by connecting it to the same proximity pin on the SC cable that I was building.

I have not heard about availability in the USA of supercharger use for non-Tesla vehicles, but that adapter likely has some form of registered ID chip in it so that the customer can be properly charged for the power use. For Tesla vehicles, the car handles all of that.
Non Tesla vehicle charging wouldn’t need an ID chip. You just scan a QR code on the pedestal with the Tesla app, so it would know what account to charge that way.

Reactions: android04
Non Tesla vehicle charging wouldn’t need an ID chip. You just scan a QR code on the pedestal with the Tesla app, so it would know what account to charge that way.
At least in the USA, the Supercharger pedestals have no QR codes on them, and the app doesn't seem to be ready for that function. Maybe there is a different app for non-Tesla DC fast charging in Europe. Don't know.

At least in the USA, the Supercharger pedestals have no QR codes on them, and the app doesn't seem to be ready for that function. Maybe there is a different app for non-Tesla DC fast charging in Europe. Don't know.
I’m in the USA - and that is what the app says when you go to the “charge your non-Tesla” screen. The QR codes are on the side of the units I believe (I vaguely recall seeing them) however the app only lists some standard Tesla wall connectors as the available stations for non-Tesla charging in my area.

To design an efficient and inexpensive Supercharger, Tesla will want to keep the cable length as short as possible.

They are aware of situations like the OP and that multiple manufacture vehicles will beginning to use the Superchargers as well as Teslas.

They all seem to have charge ports in different places, from the nose, front fender, and back fender. On either side of the vehicles.

Tesla is adapting to this new reality, as their latest Superchargers are coming with longer cables, to allow plugging into either side of the vehicles. In addition, some will nose in and others back in.

A specialty company, like Gruber might be able to build you a custom cable extension, but the plug end into your vehicle will need to have the electrical connections, not only for current, but also for the handle to communicate with the charger for billing and compatibility. Not a simple task.

There are five pens and the communication is done via one of the two smaller pins. The button communication initiates a Bluetooth signal of some fashion because I have seen my car respond (open the port) from multiple stations away when someone pushes the button on the handle.

I have a genuine handle, the communication should not be an issue is long as the wires are routed straight through.

As far as trying it at an EVgo location, I have had multiple failures at trying to use their system just by itself and while it may work, their hardware is not very effective.

I haven't yet - I spoke with some techs at one SuC location and while they wouldn't / couldn't provide any specifics about the pinout for the multiplug that would normally jack into the supercharger pedestal to provide the temperature sensor (and other functions) from the handle, they DID confirm that the lack of button function likely is the wiring, so it isn't truly straight-through at the moment. I have not had time to mess with it further. I'd LIKE to know what the button wiring connects to, and if that can be passed through at least... But it's on hold for slower work periods.

....As far as trying it at an EVgo location, I have had multiple failures at trying to use their system just by itself and while it may work, their hardware is not very effective.
My experience at EVgo has also been frustrating. I was not suggesting to use EVgo on a regular ongoing basis. I was thinking that if the extension worked at an EVgo DC charger with a NACS plug, then it would be reasonable to conclude that the Tesla Supercharger had a way of detecting that the extension was attached and blocked its use.

Is there any information that there is a magnet in the handle? I have not found anything describing the theory of operation or the pin configuration.

There are five pins in the cable end and the communication is done via one of the two smaller pins. The button communication initiates a Bluetooth signal of some fashion to open the charge door because I have seen my car respond from multiple stations away when someone pushes the button on the handle.

As it is now, the extension I built does not activate the charge door (so no communication) possibly because I did not link the ground and extra pin wires properly (the small internal harness connector has 4-6 other wires for temperature and such) and only passes voltage when on a non-communication cable like a J1772. So I’m missing something in the setup.

That's helpful - did it suggest which wire color on the back end might be passing that through? Since I have wired the 5 wires straight through, either a continuity check against the handle button OR (this is starting to seem more plausible) some form of magnet indicator in the socket end might be why it isn't enabling. It shouldn't be too hard to try pointing a neodymium magnet at it the next time I have a minute to try it.

Any update on your progress ? Yes, dropping the trailer every time I need to SC I getting really old !

IMG_0093.jpeg

Any update on your progress ? Yes, dropping the trailer every time I need to SC I getting really old !

View attachment 1010142
I wish that I had something to report. I have been completely unsuccessful at making the cable get recognized at a charger.

The companies selling options (always out of stock) that only SEEM to exist online... I had a chance to drive by two of them that claimed addresses in Florida, and neither one exists. VERY frustrated with this too.

Whoever has one of these cables if any were actually sold previously... Don't seem to want to give them up either.

Reactions: fiveangle