Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

extension cord for Tesla wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon purchase of MY I drove 90 miles to have 3m film installed on the front end. It was raining on the drive home and got a chip on the front bumper and the front sensor.. ARRGH!! Tesla wouldn't repaint the front bumper but did replace the sensor. I already had a 60 amp home charger installed with an 18 ft cord. Now I'm really up tight about the paint. I live in the northeast where the winter is harsh so decided to put this in a garage but will need to get an extension cord. Is there one available? Any suggestions are appreciated?
Thanks,
Alan

Upon purchase of MY I drove 90 miles to have 3m film installed on the front end. It was raining on the drive home and got a chip on the front bumper and the front sensor.. ARRGH!! Tesla wouldn't repaint the front bumper but did replace the sensor. I already had a 60 amp home charger installed with an 18 ft cord. Now I'm really up tight about the paint. I live in the northeast where the winter is harsh so decided to put this in a garage but will need to get an extension cord. Is there one available? Any suggestions are appreciated?
Thanks,
Alan
Yeah, you should have installed NEMA 14-50 outlet and then you could plug in mobile cable via extension. I use this one.

Camco 55195 30' PowerGrip Heavy-Duty Outdoor 50-Amp Extension Cord for RV and Auto | Allows for Additional Length to Reach Distant Power Outlets | Built to Last https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024ECIP0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SRYZ1CCJGQ4KGXQ56D85

Reactions: impastu
I have heard of third-party extension cables for Tesla EVSEs, such as this one (which is currently listed as "sold out"); however, I wouldn't recommend using one for an extended period. (If by chance this is a J1772 EVSE, Home Depot sells something similar.) It's probably better to call an electrician to relocate your NEMA 14-50 outlet or Wall Connector; or you might be able to buy a longer cable for your Wall Connector and have an electrician replace the existing one with it. IIRC, EVSE Adapters sells them, but their site seems to be down at the moment, so I can't verify that.

The problem with using an extension cable is twofold. First, it's another connector that can fail. Second, the extra length will likely push it beyond the EVSE's design limits. I don't know about Tesla's specs, but IIRC, the J1772 standard (which is pretty similar) specifies a 25-foot limit to the charging cable. I'm not an electrician or electrical engineer, so I don't know if this limit is just some CYA exercise or if there's a solid reason for its existence, but I'd prefer to play it safe when it comes to high-voltage, high-amperage equipment.

Reactions: impastu
Thanks,
Alan
Just buy a 24' and sell the 18' one on Ebay or whereever. The baseplate is the same, swap is maybe two minutes (plus provisioning time).

Just buy a 24' and sell the 18' one on Ebay or whereever. The baseplate is the same, swap is maybe two minutes (plus provisioning time).
Great tip, I bought a new Gen 3 WC with the 18 ft cable and a week after I received it they released the 24 ft model. I tried living with it but after living with a CC with a 25 ft cable we found there were significant shortcomings we couldn’t live with. Sadly by the time we decided to return it I missed the return date by 24 hours.

So I’ll probably take your advice. Cheers

I having using one the AC Works extension cables for years with no issues.

They make various versions for various NEMA standards and in various sizes.

That said not everyone hear is a fan of extension cables. Even over built, quality, expensive ones.

As posted I had the charger with an 18' cord and needed the 24'. Sophias_dad was going to sell me a 24' for $75 in exchange for the 18'. However, since I purchased my charger about 60 days ago I decided to request an exchange from Tesla sales. Much to my surprise! they agreed to send me a new charger with a 24' cord but since it was a different part number I had to return mine and buy another rather than a straight exchange. If you are in this situation you have nothing to lose by pleading your case with sales. Good Luck and thanks Craig for your offer to sell me the 24' cord!
Alan

Just remember, 48A is a lot of power to draw. With basic wiring, you’re going to need at least 6 gauge wiring to handle that current and heat dissipation.

The other thing to look for is that the cable (doesn’t matter if it’s 110v extension cords or 240v generator) is properly UL certified, meaning tested and validated in a lab as safe.

Otherwise, you could buy some 6 gauge wiring of all the same color, and wire up your own, selling custom lengths and make a few extra bucks.