Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord from dryer outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone I have an electrical question that hopefully you can help with. Here is my scenario..

I am renting a house. My Model 3 (that I’m picking up in a few weeks) will be in a detached garage about 30 feet away from our dryer.

Multiple electricians in addition to Tesla themselves advise strongly not to run an extension cord from the dryer to the car.

My question for you all is- based on my living conditions, are there any specialty made extension cords or specialty made breakers that exist that I could buy to safely charge my Model 3 via the dryer outlet? Thank you!

Multiple electricians and Tesla tell you not to do something potentially hazardous and you are planning to do it anyway? You might want to reconsider.

I suggest speaking to your landlord about the situation. Ask him if he is willing to install a charging station in the garage. If not, ask him if it is OK if you do so at your expense. (It improves the value of the property, only an idiot would say no as long as you have it done by a reputable electrician.)

What sort of power do you have in the garage?

An alternative to a 30 amp outlet might be to create a 240 volt outlet at a lower current from the circuits already existing, e.g. a 6-20. Depending on how much you drive, that might be totally sufficient.

What sort of power do you have in the garage?

An alternative to a 30 amp outlet might be to create a 240 volt outlet at a lower current from the circuits already existing, e.g. a 6-20. Depending on how much you drive, that might be totally sufficient.

I only have 15 amps in my garage.

I have been doing some research and it looks like this cable is safe to use. I have a NEMA 14-30 outlet for my dryer so I plan on purchasing this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STD8CXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then connect it to this

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extens...&psc=1#askDPSearchSecondaryView_1525043298630

Then plug the car in through that. I called two Tesla stores and they both said that could work in theory but they technically can’t advise any product that isn’t made by Tesla which is understandable.

What do you guys think? Could this setup work?

Reactions: calidreamz808
That's for 110v

Shoot. Unfortunately the 14-50 extension cord I posted is only 30 ft which isn’t the distance I need.

The extension cord that Dutchie posted IS the distance I need, but I read that Camco is the most reliable and to be honest, even though I’m sure the product Dutchie posted is great, they only have a couple reviews and I would need more before deciding to buy something that important.

I use this one every day. Be sure to power down to 24A. No issue at all.

Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft.

They have also 50 feet

Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for RVs, EVs, etc., 50 ft.

I’m sure it’s a great product, but my only hesistance is the fact that they don’t have a bunch of reviews. And when I’m buying something that affects the safety of my house/car, I want to know the product has been tested/used/reviewed by more than a couple people. Do you have any more info or alternatives with more reviews?

I’m sure it’s a great product, but my only hesistance is the fact that they don’t have a bunch of reviews. And when I’m buying something that affects the safety of my house/car, I want to know the product has been tested/used/reviewed by more than a couple people. Do you have any more info or alternatives with more reviews?

Well, I have a dryer outlet in my garage and I have been using it for everyday charging. No issues at all. It is a very heavy extension cord. Since dryer outlet is 24A you just have to turn down charging rate in the Tesla,

I was an electrician in the Navy for 8 years. If I was still working as one I would also tell you to hire me to do it to code like they are. This is nonsense.
As long as you air on the side of caution using an extension cord is fine.
A 50' long extension cord isn't much different that running 50' of cable to the garage (which I did in my basement).
The enemy of electricity is loose connections, that generates heat, so ensuring nice snug connections with your extension cord will make it safe.
The only issue is making sure you only charge at 80% of the rated capacity, that has been stated above as 24 amps by others. If you want to build in a little more cushion set it to 20 amps.
One note, I have seen my Model S default back to 40 amps more than once in my garage (my setup is on a 40 amp breaker so I need to be at 32). Don't know whether this is a GPS bug with the charge limit or software updates are overwriting it.