Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord from dryer outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are the same morons that ruin any autopilot experience for responsible drivers.

I'm sorry are you talking to me or cschock?

Because if you're talking about me, I explained that I am looking for SAFE alternatives. Meaning I would never follow through with anything before verifying the safety with both an electrician and Tesla. If you can take the time to call someone a moron, you should probably take the time to read my entire post first.

Reactions: outdoors
Looks like you are about set. The wife and I are under the same limitations although we not all that far from a supercharger the other side of town. I elected to ask the apartment managers permission to use their 110 in the garage. With permission we receive plenty of mileage during the week of charge.
From September to today
apartment charge.JPG

With Karen's work commute approx 30 mi the car received more power than we use daily.

110 extension cord.jpg
The cord purchased to run from the ceiling down the side.

car in garage.jpg
Electra getting some 110 love.

I have used a 50' extension cord that I bought on Amazon three years ago. I use it whenever I am at a hotel that has no installed BEV charging. I use adapter to cope with the odd 120v outlet. It has been reliable and useful. I agree that a permanent installation is preferable but extension cords, properly used, are not dangerous. In your situation it just might be the most practical solution.
I...
As long as you [err] on the side of caution using an extension cord is fine.
A 50' long extension cord isn't much different that running 50' of cable to the garage (which I did in my basement).
This is both accurate and authoritative IMHO. Don't worry about it, but make certain nobody trips on the cord.;)

Reactions: lupend88
An extension cord is fine. I have used them many times. One even for over a year because there was no outlet in my garage. Electricians don't like extensions because they don't make money if you use them.
I made both extension cords myself using thinker wires than required and they worked flawless. The losses were minimal (smaller than what an electrician would have done).

Will you be using the outlet for the dryer as well as the car? If so, you really need to get something like the Dryer Buddy, so that you aren't constantly swapping plugs. The wall outlet is not likely designed for many insertions, and will quickly wear out. The Buddy will also prevent the car and dryer from running at the same time, which could cause a serious overload of the circuit.

It's safe if you use the right cable and take care to prevent moisture from getting into the connections. I use a 30' RV extension cord (NEMA 14-50) to charge my S. I just dial the amperage down to 20A. The cord and plugs don't even get warm. I bought a plastic tub with a lid for the plug connection to sit inside of. I cut holes for the cable to run through and then put the lid on. It's all water safe now.

Hi everyone,

Seeing that my car is a good distance from my dryer, I purchased this

https://www.amazon.com/NU-CORD-9456...cord+50+ft&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZgMxLOc8L&ref=plSrch

And seeing that my dryer is a NEMA 14-30 outlet instead of 14-50, I purchased this as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STD8CXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think this set up will work, let me know if anyone sees any red flags with it, thank you!

this is almost identical to my setup. Except I'm using a 15' camco amazon 14-50 cord. and the same adapter from 14-30 outlet to 14-50 receptacle. To make it goof-proof in terms of the tesla resetting back to 40 amps instead of 24, use a tesla official 14-30 adapter Gen 2 - like the post above I cut the neutral off mine so it fits 14/30 or 14/50 and cannot exceed 24 amps since its the official adapter for the UMC charger. For a long while before this I used an adapter to from 14-30 socket to 14-50 plug. I couldn't find rugged enough to my satisfaction except for this one (quite well built - I only used 1 side of the Y adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJESJU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

Any suggestions for an extension from 10-30 outlet? I don’t see any 10-30 extension cables though I already have the gen 2 Tesla 10-30 adapter.

i haven't tried this but: NEMA 10-30 dryer extension cord, 25 ft. (I had a 10/30 and opened it up and found I actually had a ground wire that was wired to ground (tested with multimeter so I switched mine over to 14-30)

Reactions: TheFunStarts
i haven't tried this but: NEMA 10-30 dryer extension cord, 25 ft. (I had a 10/30 and opened it up and found I actually had a ground wire that was wired to ground (tested with multimeter so I switched mine over to 14-30)
Careful... A 10-30 outlet has 3 pins, a 14-30 has 4. The difference is that the 14-30 has separate ground and neutral wires. Both end up in the same place on the panel, yes, but there is a difference in terms of safety since a ground wire is not (normally) carrying any current. Under some fault conditions, that difference can be critical. You can only convert a 10-30 outlet into a 14-30 if you have all 4 wires. Neutral will look like ground to a multimeter if it's just sitting there, but it's not the same in operation.

That said, for Tesla EV charging purposes, the HPWC requires ground but doesn't use the neutral wire, so proper adapters can be made. Just don't change the outlet on the wall if the 4th wire isn't present, because in the future someone might think it's a real (up to code) 14-30.

• Love
Reactions: Char and cybergates
I concur with:

1. Dryer Buddy to minimize plug/unplug cycles.

2. 10-30 to 6-50 adapter. I made my own by purchasing a dryer pig-tail cord and 6-50 socket. Screw down wires firmly.

3. 50-foot 6-50 extension cord. Heavy gauge minimizes power loss and heat. I purchased [8s3WEC-50] 8/3 Heavy Duty Welder 50ft Extension Cord from Wire and Cable Your Way. Very well-made. 8/3 Heavy Duty Welder Extension Cord, 25ft or 50ft

4. Set car to charge at 24 Amps.

Use this at beach house. Also useful for visits to places with no EV ChargePoint.

Careful... A 10-30 outlet has 3 pins, a 14-30 has 4. The difference is that the 14-30 has separate ground and neutral wires. Both end up in the same place on the panel, yes, but there is a difference in terms of safety since a ground wire is not (normally) carrying any current. Under some fault conditions, that difference can be critical. You can only convert a 10-30 outlet into a 14-30 if you have all 4 wires. Neutral will look like ground to a multimeter if it's just sitting there, but it's not the same in operation.

That said, for Tesla EV charging purposes, the HPWC requires ground but doesn't use the neutral wire, so proper adapters can be made. Just don't change the outlet on the wall if the 4th wire isn't present, because in the future someone might think it's a real (up to code) 14-30.

yes thanks for that important piece - in this case this was a late 70's house and the 10-30 was wired with 10/3 romex with 4 wires (black red neutral and ground which all tested ok).

@Cosmacelf has posted an excellent guide for DIY’s. I’ve used it for many adapters and for a 50’ extension cable. As others have mentioned, extension cords can used safely if you use a bit of common sense. Although this quote from a user guide for an old software package provides an adequate warning:

“Do not try this unless you know what you’re doing, and frankly, if you’re reading this quide, you don’t know what you’re doing”. o_O

i use a 15 foot nema 14-50 cord for over a year now just to reach to the back of my garage - no issues (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XL2IG8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with adapters on either end to charge from a garage dryer outlet . I think the bigger issue I have is its a "detached" garage, is the cord going to be outdoors?

I’ve used the same thing for the past 5 years to plug in my Nema 14-50 plug ClipperCreek EVSE to charge my Leaf and then my Volt. Never had a problem.