Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord from dryer outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only have 15 amps in my garage.

I have been doing some research and it looks like this cable is safe to use. I have a NEMA 14-30 outlet for my dryer so I plan on purchasing this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00STD8CXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then connect it to this

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extens...&psc=1#askDPSearchSecondaryView_1525043298630

Then plug the car in through that. I called two Tesla stores and they both said that could work in theory but they technically can’t advise any product that isn’t made by Tesla which is understandable.

What do you guys think? Could this setup work?
Those cords from Amazon are for 50 Amp service

Could you post pictures of what you are using to protect the plug connection against the elements? I live in the northeast and the weather can be crazy at times. This is a great idea!!

I just bought a cheap container from Walmart, cut some holes to get the cords through and allow the lid to close. It sits underneath my 5th wheel, so it's out of the rain anyway, and the box ensures everything else stays out. There may be some bugs inside. :D

IMG_1384.jpeg

Reviving this thread-

Does anyone else have ideas or products to put the sections of the extension cord (female end) and the Tesla adapter (male end) in to protect it from moisture/elements? I just started using this set up yesterday but I’d prefer to have the coupling of the extension cord and Tesla plug inside of something. Most things online can not handle the birth of a 14-50 extension cord, unfortunately. Worst case I can tape them up and leave them connected, but this isn’t preferred for obvious reasons.

Reviving this thread-

Does anyone else have ideas or products to put the sections of the extension cord (female end) and the Tesla adapter (male end) in to protect it from moisture/elements? I just started using this set up yesterday but I’d prefer to have the coupling of the extension cord and Tesla plug inside of something. Most things online can not handle the birth of a 14-50 extension cord, unfortunately. Worst case I can tape them up and leave them connected, but this isn’t preferred for obvious reasons.

Just buy almost any watertight box, cut some holes in it to fit the cords to size, and ask some gasketing material around them. As long as the cord itself isn't resting directly on the ground, and there's not a good way for water to get inside the box, it's about as good as you can expect. Bonus points if you can put it outside of the direct path of rain/snow/etc.

This may need to be changed if you have heavy snow and could potentially cover the box...

Just buy almost any watertight box, cut some holes in it to fit the cords to size, and ask some gasketing material around them. As long as the cord itself isn't resting directly on the ground, and there's not a good way for water to get inside the box, it's about as good as you can expect. Bonus points if you can put it outside of the direct path of rain/snow/etc.

This may need to be changed if you have heavy snow and could potentially cover the box...

Yeah, this is what it’s coming down to. I’m planning to just get a watertight box from Walmart and cut out the appropriate sized holes to sit the cords on. Obviously finding a product or liner to then seal the cuts with.

Was thinking of creative ways to modify it and make it waterproof.

You're not looking for waterproof (can work when placed underwater), you're looking for weatherproof (can work when showered with water.)

Silicone or soft-rubber gaskets will also do the trick. You may have to make your own, given that most are for NEMA 5-15.

https://www.amazon.com/SOCKiTBOX-We...ck+Weatherproof+Gaskets&qid=1577823432&sr=8-7

If making a box, try to design it so that the cables coming out are going downwards, not lateral. The idea is to engineer the drip line so that water dripping down a cable cannot go into a box. Ensure that the cable coming out of the car's charging has a low point lower than where it enters your box; the water won't drip upwards.

Pre-made box designed for proper drip lines:

https://www.amazon.com/SOCKiTBOX-We...ck+Weatherproof+Gaskets&qid=1577823432&sr=8-7

upload_2019-12-31_15-22-33.png

upload_2019-12-31_15-21-59.png

Notice that the lid locks the cables into downward angles.

Lastly, if you're going to plug your mobile charger into a cable via an adapter, it's much better to use the right NEMA adapter right at the Tesla end:
upload_2019-12-31_15-28-31.png

The last two are 14-30 and 14-50. If you connect the Tesla 14-30 adapter to the mobile charger, the car "knows" what amperage it can safely draw, and will try to charge at 22 miles/hour... but if you connect the Tesla 14-50 adapter to the mobile charger, it thinks it can draw more power - 30 miles/hour - regardless what adapters/wiring you put in between it and the outlet. You'll need to remember to manually limit the draw from the car's screen or else you can blow the circuit or cause a problem in your cabling (melting, burning fire.) And you need to remove the manual limit when charging somewhere with the actual power rating.

Summarizing:
A) A Tesla 14-50 end connected to a 14-30 adapter plugged into a 14-30 wall outlet
can (safely) deliver the same power as
B) A Tesla 14-30 adapter plugged into a 14-30 wall outlet.

The difference is that with B), the Tesla knows what it's really connecting to and is smart enough not to do the wrong thing. With A), you'll need to makes sure the car is always set properly.

• Informative
Reactions: mhan00
You'll need to remember to manually limit the draw from the car's screen or else you can blow the circuit or cause a problem in your cabling (melting, burning fire.) And you need to remove the manual limit when charging somewhere with the actual power rating.
The car remembers charge limit by location. The next time you visit, the car will show and apply 24 Amp limit. When you plug MC into that 6-50 cord in a new location, it will show default 40 Amp limit.

That table shows miles of (rated) range added per hour. I believe Gen 2 Mobile Connector has 48 Amp limit.
Look in the far left column. It shows the Gen 2 6-50 and 14-50 adapters only charge at a maximum of 32 amps, not the 40 amps you stated previously.

You are also incorrect about the Gen 2 mobile connector. It only charges at 32 amps maximum. Some Model 3s can charge at 48 amps when using the wall connector, not the Gen 2 mobile connector. Even the Gen 1 mobile connector is limited to a maximum of 40 amps.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
Look in the far left column. It shows the Gen 2 6-50 and 14-50 adapters only charge at a maximum of 32 amps, not the 40 amps you stated previously.

You are also incorrect about the Gen 2 mobile connector. It only charges at 32 amps maximum. Some Model 3s can charge at 48 amps when using the wall connector, not the Gen 2 mobile connector. Even the Gen 1 mobile connector is limited to a maximum of 40 amps.

Yep, I can confirm this, as I had a 14-50 installed yesterday, on a 50A cirucuit, and hoping for 40A charging, but only got 32. The limit is in the mobile connector, not my home wiring. Its still enough for my LR and P cars to get full charge overnight, and not enough of a reason to go to the HPWC.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
Sorry for bumping old thread, didn't want to create a new one :)

but are there any changes or new products since 2020? I ordered MY and our new place doesn't have a garage, just a carport right behind the townhouse we have, right in front of the backyard. Our dryer is inside about 25ft away from the exit in backyard. Any newer/better extensions cords available on the market today? WIll this be the only choice as of right now https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Extens...dp/B0024ECIP0?ref_=ast_sto_dp#customerReviews ?
I'm only planning to charge about 3-4 hours every evening, that should be enough to cover my daily commute (70 miles round trip) assuming I'll be getting around 30 miles of range every hour.

Last edited: