TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Extension cord help please.....

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Debbie, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Debbie

Debbie Member

I want to make a 35 foot nema 6/50 extension cord. I just need confirmation that the below selected cord will SAFELY work.
    It is from a website called wire and cable to go. I will purchase appropriate plugs on Amazon.
    THANK YOU for any help.
    Debbie

Cut to length - sold by the foot. Enter the desired footage in the QTY box.
    Minimum 10 ft. to maximum 1000 ft. Please call for longer put ups.

Color:
    Black

Applications:
    SOOW Flexible Cord applications include portable tools and equipment, portable appliances, small motors and associated machinery

Features:
    Excellent resistance to oil and moisture. Good tensile strength, elongation and aging characteristics. High flexibility. Excellent abrasion resistance. Sunlight-resistant. Temperature range: -40ºC to +90ºC

Standards:
    MSHA Approved
    RoHS Compliant

Construction:
    Conductors:
    18 through 2 AWG fully annealed stranded bare copper per ASTM B-174
    Insulation:
    Premium-grade, color-coded 90ºC EPDM.

Specifications*:

Size: 6 AWG
    Number of Conductors: 3
    Conductor Strand: 101/26
    Insulation Thickness: 0.050 inches
    Outside Diameter: 0.790 inches
    Weight: 0.510 lbs per ft
    Current Amps: 55

Color Code:
    3 Conductors – Black, White, Green

*Data provided on this page is subject to change based on different manufacturers variances.

2. Ampster

Ampster Member

Yes a 6awg cord will carry 50 amps and a NEMA 6-50 uses 3 conductors

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#3 FlasherZ, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    Yes, 6/3 SOOW cord is the right cord to use if you wish to make an extension cord for NEMA 6-50 and is good to 55A.
    6/4 SOOW cord can be used for NEMA 14-50 extensions... I previously had a bit here about needing 4/4, but NEC 2011 clarified this to say the neutral in an unbalanced split single-phase configuration is not considered current carrying...

Keep in mind that using an extension cord is against manufacturer's recommendations and may come with liability and/or insurance implications.

4. Debbie

Debbie Member

Thank you both for your replies. FlasherZ, what makes the 14-50 require a 6/4 opposed to the 6/3. I saw the 6/4 cord at Home Depot ant it is huge.

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

The 14-50 has an extra wire for the neutral wire so that it can deliver 120 volts as well as 240 volts. The UMC doesn't need the neutral, so a 14-50 extension cord has one more wire than needed for the Tesla. Incidentally SJOOW cable works just as well and is slightly smaller than SOOW cable.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The problem being that if someone uses the 3 wire extension cord for something other than a Tesla, whatever is plugged into it stands a good chance of being fried.

7. Debbie

Debbie Member

Thanks everyone. I think I will hunt for a sjoow 6/3 and boldly label it for Tesla charging ONLY.
    Debbie

8. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The "J" indicates a slightly lighter-duty cord than non-J. Depending upon how much you use it, etc., you can make that choice.

10. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Debbie - I think FlasherZ might have confused the situation. You originally asked advice for making a 6-50 extension cord. The 6-50 plug doesn't have a neutral which is why a 6/3 cord works - 3 conductors, two hots and one ground. No need to label anything, it'll be a proper 6-50 extension cord with 6/3 cable. IF you were making a 14-50 extension cord, then, yes, 6/4 wire would be required or you could optimize and use it for Tesla charging only and use 6/3 without connecting the neutral.

11. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

If you look at the link I posted above, this is what I did.. I built a 6-50 extension cord, with 6/3. I then built a short 2 foot adapter that goes from a 14-50 to a 6-50 female, so the cord could be used at an RV park.. You would of course use the 6-50 adapter on the UMC. The idea was, you want the extension cord to be safe, but as low in weight as possible, so no point in carrying the extra #6 conductor for the neutral, since the Model S does not need it. I also didn't want to just use 14-50's on 3 conductor wire, since if that cord was ever use in an RV Park setup, you would have a hazard, since it has no nuetral, hence the short 2' adapter cord to go from a 14-50 to the 6-50.

12. Debbie

Debbie Member

I have searched for sjoow 6/3 and am only able to find 10/3. I guess I will settle for the larger size of the soow. It is only for occasional use.

13. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I bought the 25 foot length on eBay, it's not too bulky, a little less than 3/4" in diameter, and the weights not bad, #14 for the 25' piece below, as a bonus the seller is in Fremont, CA so the shipping should be quick to you left coasters: 6 3 SOOW So Cord 25 ft HD USA Portable Outdoor Indoor 600 V Flexible Wire Cable | eBay