Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord needed, apartment charging in garage, outlet on ceiling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in an apartment that has a regular outlet in the garage that I could use to charge my Model 3. My only dilemma is that the outlet is on the ceiling so I will be needing an extension cord. I DON'T plan to leave the cord hanging. I will be securing it to the wall. I should only need around 15 - 20 ft so nothing crazy long which should work in my favor, as charging with an extension cord isn't the best option. The good thing is that I don't use the vehicle often/don't have a long commute so I only charge once every 2 weeks from around 10 - 20% to 80 - 90%. Seems like a 20 ft 10/3 is my best bet but I know nothing about this stuff (besides what I've read). Can someone just confirm?

I live in an apartment that has a regular outlet in the garage that I could use to charge my Model 3. My only dilemma is that the outlet is on the ceiling so I will be needing an extension cord. I DON'T plan to leave the cord hanging. I will be securing it to the wall. I should only need around 15 - 20 ft so nothing crazy long which should work in my favor, as charging with an extension cord isn't the best option. The good thing is that I don't use the vehicle often/don't have a long commute so I only charge once every 2 weeks from around 10 - 20% to 80 - 90%. Seems like a 20 ft 10/3 is my best bet but I know nothing about this stuff (besides what I've read). Can someone just confirm?

Yes, 10/3 would be good, and its likely to have better connections to its ends than a 12/3.

The real thing you need to be concerned with is whether that outlet is properly connected. The plug of a Tesla adapter has a temperature sensor that monitors the outlet its plugged into. When you move it 20 feet from the wall/ceiling outlet, that won't work anymore. The first few times you use it, after a half hour of charging use your hand to feel around the plug in the ceiling, pull the plug out and feel the prongs, to see if its getting unusually warm. 'unusually' is hard to define. If it hurts your fingers, its too hot. If its not quite there yet, let it cook another 30 minutes and see if it gets hotter.

Additionally, see if the outlet in the ceiling is 5-15 or 5-20(look on the interweb for the shapes). If its 5-20, chances are good it has better connections. You could get a 5-20 extension and adapter for the UMC and get more charge speed if you like (I wouldn't bother)

Upvote 0
Also, make 100% sure there is NOTHING else on that circuit. Does that outlet have its own breaker in your electrical panel, if so close it and see if anything no longer works.

I'm guessing it's a 15 amp circuit. All the outlets in my new home (built in 2019) are 20 amp circuits. If that's the case for you and there is nothing else on that circuit you could replace the wall outlet with a 5-20 and charge at 15 amps or about 6/7 mph.

But if in doubt hire an electrician.

Reactions: TesMY
Upvote 0
If there is another appliance on the same circuit then you should set the Tesla to charge at 8 amps. Only use the 12 amp setting when charging from 120V/15A circuit if is nothing else plugged in, running on the circuit.

Since charging from a 120V/15A (1.44kW) circuit will be slow, no more than ~3 to 4 miles per hour, a better strategy would be to charge more often, at least every other day.

Also, use an app such as PlugShare to locate any free Level 2 public charging stations in your area. These public charging stations typically charge at 200V/30A (6kW) (approximately 4X faster than charging at 120V/15A) and you might be able to charge while you shop, eat a meal etc. (This charging strategy works so well for charging my Model Y that I have stopped charging at home, use the public charging infrastructure most days for 45 to 90 minutes simply because it is free for me to use.)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0