Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord? Probably been asked before

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably been asked before,but still nervous.
I have an S75D. I also have a 15meter 12 gauge 3 wire 15 amp outdoor extension cord.
Am I safe to use that with the UMC in a 120 volt AC wall outlet in a garage where the UMC cable won't reach?

If you search you will find dozens of posts about extension cords.

12 or 10 gauge is what you should use, but with a 15 meter cord you might have a problem with voltage drop, especially if there is a long distance between your breaker box and outlet already. You should use the shortest cord possible. In the US they come 25 and 50 feet, perhaps they have 7 or 8 meter extension cords in Canada? Would that be long enough for what you need?

If you search you will find dozens of posts about extension cords.

12 or 10 gauge is what you should use, but with a 15 meter cord you might have a problem with voltage drop, especially if there is a long distance between your breaker box and outlet already. You should use the shortest cord possible. In the US they come 25 and 50 feet, perhaps they have 7 or 8 meter extension cords in Canada? Would that be long enough for what you need?
I will have to check the distance to ensure no tension on the plug ends .maybe go with a 25 ft 12 gauge or if not then should I use 50ft 10 guage if I can be one in Canada

If possible I recommend installing an outlet as close to the charging spot as possible. This way you can use a 240v circuit, and maybe a 50a breaker. Much faster charging. Oh, and as stated above, purchase a high quality receptacle. The preferred is the NEMA 14-50, so your Tesla plug will fit.

And, if you guess wrong, the car will simply cut the amps so it charges slower. It seems to check resistance, I don't know, so long cords, cruddy connectors, old circuit breakers and extra extension cords will affect it. But if you need a few more feet to reach the outlet, it's worth it.

My friend c. Cottage Has a 14-30 dryer outlet in the house
Could I safely use this adapter from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Cable...qid=1518193576&sr=8-15&keywords=14-30+adapter with the 25 ft 10/3 extension cable also from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00004SQF1/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=tmc064-20 and then plug my UMC to that?
No, that doesn’t make any sense. If you plug the UMC with 15A adapter into in, you will only draw 12A, just as if you plugged directly into a 15A outlet.

Makes sense . What would I need to extend an extra 25 feet from the dryer out et to connect them the UMC to draw the extra amps
Ok, so if you have a standard dryer outlet available, that should give you 240v with a 30 amp breaker (24 amp charge rate). Do you also have a dryer plugged into it (i.e. want to share)? If so, others have used the "Dryer Buddy" series of products to do that safely, preventing one from using both the dryer and car charger at the same time. Products