Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension Cord Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been discussed already, I did search the forums but it seems like the discussions I found were not current So maybe a new one is in order.

I am currently charging my Model X using what’s shown in the pic I’ve attached. My problem is that I have to back into the garage in order for the cord to reach the charging outlet on my car. I’d like to get an extension cord so that I can just pull in forward. I posted on a Tesla group in Facebook in hopes of hearing from some people who know more about higher voltage & amperage circuitry than I do and the folks there told me not to use an extension cord because I’ll burn my house down. I did some new googling today and found this:
It seems like exactly what I need. It has internal circuitry so that it doesn’t overdraw power as discussed in that other thread. I have a Gen 1 UMC so this should be the right product for me.

Any objections, internet friends?

Attachments

• A0041230-1A21-426A-9043-B218B22D7D37.jpeg
    A0041230-1A21-426A-9043-B218B22D7D37.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 202
I feel like you're going to have a hard time finding someone on an EV forum that will agree that an extension cord is OK. There's just too many unknowns and no one wants the liability. Personally, there's no way I'd use an extension cord. I'd call an electrician and have them run a new wire from the breaker box to a plug in the correct location in the garage.

I literally today had that discussion with the contractor in my new garage. The breaker box is on the back wall of the garage and a plug could be put a couple feet from it. But my wife convinced me I'd get annoyed backing in to charge the car and we agreed to spend the extra money and put the plug where it should be.

It seems like exactly what I need.
That is definitely NOT what you need.
What you posted a picture of that you are using is the wall connector that came with the attached 14-50 plug for plugging into an outlet. Tesla sold those for a short time.

What you posted a link to from EVSEAdapters (great site, by the way) is a long cord version of a plug adapter for the Generation 1 MOBILE charging cable. That can't hook up to your wall connector in any way. And it's a 14-30 anyway.

There are three things I can already think of that you could do.

1. Move/extend your circuit to where it needs to be, so the wall connector can mount closer to the spot and your cable will reach. This is probably most "right".
2. Go on Amazon or something and just get a standard 14-50 extension cord. They make them for camping and RVs, so there are plenty. I have one from Camco, and it's really solid and great. Then you could move your wall connector farther out.
3. There is an extension that EVSEAdapters makes for the Tesla plug handle itself, but it's kind of pricey at $300+

Reactions: ATPMSD
I use the Camco Heavy-Duty Outdoor 50-Amp Extension Cord with the G1 UMC. The voltage is 235V. Same as when I plug the UMC directly into the 14-50 wall plug. Heat is your enemy. My extension cord doesn't even get warm on a hot day. Buy a good extension cord made for RV \ Outdoor and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I use the Camco Heavy-Duty Outdoor 50-Amp Extension Cord with the G1 UMC. The voltage is 235V. Same as when I plug the UMC directly into the 14-50 wall plug. Heat is your enemy. My extension cord doesn't even get warm on a hot day. Buy a good extension cord made for RV \ Outdoor and you'll be fine.
I carry one of those, as well as the 30 foot EVSE with no neutral, so it will plug in to 50 or 30 amp outlet. However they are only used on an emergency basis, such as visiting relatives, unusual locations etc. I would not recommend using them for daily charging needs. Move the Wall Connector or outlet to a friendlier location.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I carry one of those, as well as the 30 foot EVSE with no neutral, so it will plug in to 50 or 30 amp outlet. However they are only used on an emergency basis, such as visiting relatives, unusual locations etc. I would not recommend using them for daily charging needs. Move the Wall Connector or outlet to a friendlier location.
This isn't the $1 extension cord that you buy at the dollar stores. Let's understand the problem before blindly assume that it's not safe. The more you connect and disconnect the plug from the outlet wears out the pins which increases their electrical resistance. More resistance causes more heat. A lot of heat causes fire. The types of outlets that we use to plug in our EVSEs are pretty much the same types at RV parks and campgrounds and those get used a lot more than we could ever use at home.
If OP isn't disconnecting the extension from the wall outlet and the UMC from the extension on the daily basis, the he/she would be fine. Even if the outlet is moved closer to the car but the UMC needs to be unplugged from the outlet on the daily basis then the outlet and the plug need to be upgraded to an industrial grade or swapped out every few years for the piece of mind.

This isn't the $1 extension cord that you buy at the dollar stores. Let's understand the problem before blindly assume that it's not safe. The more you connect and disconnect the plug from the outlet wears out the pins which increases their electrical resistance. More resistance causes more heat. A lot of heat causes fire. The types of outlets that we use to plug in our EVSEs are pretty much the same types at RV parks and campgrounds and those get used a lot more than we could ever use at home.
If OP isn't disconnecting the extension from the wall outlet and the UMC from the extension on the daily basis, the he/she would be fine. Even if the outlet is moved closer to the car but the UMC needs to be unplugged from the outlet on the daily basis then the outlet and the plug need to be upgraded to an industrial grade or swapped out every few years for the piece of mind.
I was not indicating it wasn't safe (although arguably it is less safe than doing it right). Extension cords are meant to be used temporarily, even the big beefy ones we need. Just that I would not recommend using an extension cord for a permanent installation. Ideally a hard wired wall connector is the best, meaning the only connector repeatedly plugged/unplugged is the wand going into the car. Using a connector designed to be used thousands of times. I've used mine extension cords maybe a dozen times over seven years, along with my UMC. The UMC and those cords along with a bunch of other adapters are stored in the deep well in the back of the X.

I would just back in to the garage but I know not everyone likes that. The right thing to do is to mount your WC where you want it, and wire it to code from there. I built an 8awg cord with good Bryant ends just to have for emergency but never use it.
If you go with a Camco or similar, don’t look inside the plug ends, they are scary light duty.