Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension Cord with Mobile Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the Female end is always the problem. You should use AWG 12 for 15amp but even if you have the biggest wire size, female end on most extension cords will fail if used for a long time at that current. If you look at 10AWG construction cords you will commonly see a tripple plug on the female end because the female end is the week spot.
When I worked construction, I always assumed it was so we could plug 3 items into it at the same time. Or use the heaviest duty cord from the temporary pole to the worksite and then plug several smaller extension cords into that.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Yes, the Female end is always the problem. You should use AWG 12 for 15amp but even if you have the biggest wire size, female end on most extension cords will fail if used for a long time at that current. If you look at 10AWG construction cords you will commonly see a tripple plug on the female end because the female end is the week spot.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not the reason manufacturers put 3 female ends on the cord. All female ends are going to wear out over time from plugging and unplugging, some faster than others, but that is not why they put three on there.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I’m late to this thread but wondered if someone could answer my question.

I realize this is not ideal, but my condo will only allow me to use a covered external outlet and extension cord to charge my Tesla. We get quite a bit of rain where we live and I’m worried about the UMC being in the elements (the parking spot is 40 feet from the outlet).

Does anyone know of a weatherproof casing for the UMC?

Something like this might work:

Waterproof Extension Cord Connection Box - Gray Weatherproof Outdoor Box for Electrical Connections Amazon.com
71IW0IlG8zL._SL1500_.jpg