Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension Cord?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are traveling to a cabin in GA. We know there is a NEMA 14-50 outlet there on the main level, but I don't know the distance. I am pretty sure I am going to need an extension cord. Is that even possible to do with the mobile charger? If so, what type do I buy? I read that extension cords can impede the charging rate. Has anyone else done this successfully? If I can't get to the dryer outlet, it looks like I am just going to have to use the 110 on the porch. I would really like to not have to do that.
Thanks!!!

And regarding "impeding the charging rate", any extension cord will reduce current. In this case, you'd need a lot more than 100' of NEMA 14-50 to get even close to dropping it to a 110V rate.

14-50 is more likely an oven/range outlet not a dryer. If it is a dryer outlet then you likely need a different adapter and to figure out if you want to buy that extension cord or the larger 14-50 and adapt that, in the later case you need to manually dial down amperage. Dryer is more like 14-30 or 10-30 and still give you a solid 5times+ faster charge than a 110volt outlet.

There are extension cords for 14-50 usually sold where they sell stuff for RVs as large RVs use this outlet. General rule with extension cords is try to keep them as large a gauge and as short a length as possible. That said you could buy longer than you think you need to be safe and just dial down the amperage if on a gen 1 UMC 40amp a bit to try to combat heating, if on Gen 2 and 32amp I wouldn't bother lowering further unless the voltage looks low or something is getting too warm.

I would aim to route out a window because then you can use a towel or something to block mosquito from coming in the gap created by opening the screen for the cord. Going to be hard to block if you go out a door, so consider this when picking length.

Depending on the age of the cabin/wiring I might look to dial back the amperage a bit anyway, lower amperage is less likely to expose flaws in the system and even if you dial back to 20amps it will still be something close to 15miles added per hour in a Model S, at a cabin I bet you spend plenty of time plugged in so fast isn't going to be a big need. In a hot climate especially if exposed to sun I could see a 120volt outlet giving just 1-2miles by the time it runs cabin overheat protection and only climbing to 3 miles added per hour overnight.

This one from Amazon works for me, 30 feet is the maximum length they have:
https://www.amazon.com/MPI-Tools-Ne...r=8-1&keywords=Nema+10-50+extension+cord&th=1
I also use a heavy duty 50 ft extension cord from Amazon for those cases when i am using a 110v outlet, usually overnight at a hotel.
https://www.amazon.com/Southwire-Ex...=1-2&keywords=heavy+duty+50+ft+extension+cord

For four years these two have done it for me. Frankly, I use them less often these days because Superchargers are so convenient now. For overnight stays these two are really useful anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
Checkout EVSEadapters.com electrical adapters for Tesla drivers, welders, RVs

They make a 14-30/14-50/14-60 adapter cord, basically by removing the Neutral pin from the plug (Tesla does not use the neutral). They used to offer it in various lengths (I have a 25 footer), which makes it easy to use an available dryer outlet with the UMC (you will need to reduce the current slightly). I also use a 30 foot RV extension cord by Camco. The Camco extension cord is 6 gauge, so it is a real beast if you need it. But very handy if you need to hook up to your mother-in-laws house (or, in my case, my daughter's house).

We are traveling to a cabin in GA. We know there is a NEMA 14-50 outlet there on the main level, but I don't know the distance. I am pretty sure I am going to need an extension cord. Is that even possible to do with the mobile charger? If so, what type do I buy? I read that extension cords can impede the charging rate. Has anyone else done this successfully? If I can't get to the dryer outlet, it looks like I am just going to have to use the 110 on the porch. I would really like to not have to do that.
Thanks!!!

Definition of being in cabin in N GA = relaxing and kicking your shoes off.

Plug into 120V and just chill for a few days.

There are a lot of destination and J-1772 chargers around, dependent on where you will be.