Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension Cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Joe again. Model X delivering soon. I have a million questions :). I have the 10-30(dryers) outlet but it is a bit far from where my garage is, so most likely will need to buy an extension cord. I will be sure to buy a good quality one, but from what i have read/researched, a lot people are saying Tesla does not recommend using extension cords. However, what i can't find is the reason for why not? i mean, is it safety reasons(someone can trip over it, fire hazard, etc)? Or, is it bad for Tesla battery?

thanks again!
Joe

Hi @joesmithf1,

The problem with extensions cords are tripping and fire hazard...

The fire hazard component is aggravated by the HIGH current involved...
With your 10-30 adapter there are 30 amps moving through the extension cord.
If you figure you generally only move a few amps through an extension cord
and now you want to move 30 Amps it takes a very large, inflexible, and expensive cord.
They look to be $80 to $136 on Amazon...

If you have any type of electric panel in your garage,
you might look to try a 14-50 outlet which is one of the most common outlets for EVs.
Also buy a 14-50 adapter for your charger...

Be sure to order or purchase your 10-30 adapter from Tesla NOW or at delivery.
The only adapter now delivered with the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) Gen 2 with the car
is a NEMA 5-15. This adapter allows you to plug into a normal wall outlet and to charge at 12 Amps.
At 12 Amps. you are adding 3 miles of range for every hour the car is plugged in...
Which for most people is way too slow...

Good luck,

Shawn

I have plugged in several times at friends homes, WITHOUT an extension cord, but received messages on the screen saying charging was limited because it "detected" an extension cord. You lose some amperage/voltage over long cord runs depending on the quality and gauge of the cords. As Shawn mentioned, a dedicated outlet in the garage is always going to be better, no matter what the amperage. 220v is always better than 120v. I have had to use a 120v at my daughter's house, and even at 16a, on a cold morning I can actually lose charge while pre-warming.

I’ve used a heavy duty RV extension cord for over 2 years for my model X with no problems. It’s the Camco extension cord rated at 50 amps. It’s rated for outdoor use and use it for the Nema 14-50 outlet. The extension cord come in 15’ or 30’ length options.

Hi All,

Joe again. Model X delivering soon. I have a million questions :). I have the 10-30(dryers) outlet but it is a bit far from where my garage is, so most likely will need to buy an extension cord. I will be sure to buy a good quality one, but from what i have read/researched, a lot people are saying Tesla does not recommend using extension cords. However, what i can't find is the reason for why not? i mean, is it safety reasons(someone can trip over it, fire hazard, etc)? Or, is it bad for Tesla battery?
thanks again!
Joe

I would not recommend using an extension cord on a permanent basis. For temporary use, you can get away with one. I carry a 30 ft, 6 gauge Camco extension (designed for RV use) and a 25 foot 6 gauge with no neutral (the lack of a neutral allows connection to either a 30 or 50 amp outlet, Tesla does not actually use the neutral).

But both of these are used only in a pinch. For your permanent or daily use location, you should run a permanent circuit within reach of your UMC.

Using a stationary or mobile charger in a 3 cars tandem garage isn't convenient and challenging to arrange parking space as the X has to be parked at the same spot near the charger, with a UL certified 30' extension cord, it allows the X to be parked and charged at any one of the 3 spots. So far, 6 months, no issue.

Last edited:
Hi @joesmithf1,

and now you want to move 30 Amps it takes a very large, inflexible, and expensive cord.
It doesn’t change the gist of your response but the Tesla will only charge up to 24 amps when using a 10-30 adapter.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Hi @joesmithf1,

If you have any type of electric panel in your garage,
you might look to try a 14-50 outlet which is one of the most common outlets for EVs.
Also buy a 14-50 adapter for your charger...

Be sure to order or purchase your 10-30 adapter from Tesla NOW or at delivery.
The only adapter now delivered with the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) Gen 2 with the car
is a NEMA 5-15. This adapter allows you to plug into a normal wall outlet and to charge at 12 Amps.
At 12 Amps. you are adding 3 miles of range for every hour the car is plugged in...
Which for most people is way too slow...

Good luck,

Shawn
Unfortunately there are no other electrical panel close to or in my garage except for the dryer 10-30 outlet. The main panel is all the way on the other side of the house, at least 35 to 40 feet. I have already bought the 10-30 adapter, and the following extension cord from Amazon. Reviews seems to be good, and it is $93, so should be pretty good quality. i am just worried it will cause some kind of damage to Tesla's battery by using an extension cord.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071QXXP9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will not damage the Tesla’s battery by using a 10-30 adapter and an extension cord.

If you are concerned about using the extension cord, you could always charge at less than the maximum 24 amps. Setting the car for 10, 15, or 20 amps may still give you a decent miles per hour range depending on your needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus