Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension for Mobile Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if anybody knows of some type of extension cord that connects to the car end of the Mobile Connector. I park backed in and my charging cable reaches just fine. If I park front in, I need about another 5 ft to reach the charge port.

I don't want to use an extension cord at the outlet because a) I want to maintain the outlet temp sensor protection in the adapter, and b) the Mobile Connector would end up being outside.

I found this online but it's currently out of stock, and quite expensive: Tesla Extension Cord – EVSE Adapters. Any risks/downside to using a product like this?

I'm mostly interested in this because as the sun is lower in the southern sky into fall, my fabric sail doesn't shield my charge port from the sun, and the cable and plug get very hot. I'd also like to even out her tan :)

Attachments

• IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    676.3 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
You could change out the Mobile Connector for a Wall Connector using the existing 240V/30A circuit. The Wall Connector now comes with a 24 ft charging cable (6 feet longer than the Mobile Connector charging cord). The Wall Connector can be configured for the following: 60/50/40/30/20/15 amp circuits. There is no issue using the Wall Connector with any of these circuits. The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired, requires 2 hot (120V) leads and the ground connection. The neutral connection is not used and would be capped off. The existing NEMA 14-30 receptacle would be removed and the Wall Connector mounted to the junction box.

The charging rate/time would not change when you install the Wall Connector unless you also upgrade the circuit to be a 40A or 50A circuit. If the current wire used is 10 gauge then you would have to replace the wire with 8 gauge wire to be able to change the circuit to 40A or 50A. 8 gauge wire is be sufficient for 40A using NM-B wire or 50A if using THHN 75C rated wiring run in conduit. Consult an electrician to find out if you have sufficient capacity for changing the 30A circuit to either 40A or 50A.

Last edited:
You could change out the Mobile Connector for a Wall Connector using the existing 240V/30A circuit. The Wall Connector now comes with a 24 ft charging cable (6 feet longer than the Mobile Connector charging cord). The Wall Connector can be configured for the following: 60/50/40/30/20/15 amp circuits. There is no issue using the Wall Connector with any of these circuits. The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired, requires 2 hot (120V) leads and the ground connection. The neutral connection is not used and would be capped off. The existing NEMA 14-30 receptacle would be removed and the Wall Connector mounted to the junction box.

The charging rate/time would not change when you install the Wall Connector unless you also upgrade the circuit to be a 40A or 50A circuit. If the current wire used is 10 gauge then you would have to replace the wire with 8 gauge wire to be able to change the circuit to 40A or 50A. 8 gauge wire is be sufficient for 40A using NM-B wire or 50A if using THHN 75C rated wiring run in conduit. Consult an electrician to find out if you have sufficient capacity for changing the 30A circuit to either 40A or 50A.
Don't need to change the charging rate. Unfortunately the Wall Connector is only 4 ft longer than the Mobile Connector. The 18 ft is just for the charging cable on the Mobile Connector. With the chassis and adapter, it's 20 ft.