TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Exterior Color Shift using a Tinted Film or Wrap?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by customs, Jun 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. customs

customs Member

Two questions for the forum...

Having difficulty deciding on color -- love the depth and shine of the multi-coat red, but it's a little too flamboyant for my personality. Second option is Gray, which is really classy, but a bit too understated for a car that's this nice. (Signature Red would have been perfect for me, oh well!)

Since I would XPEL the car anyway, I started thinking about a vinyl wrap to combine my two favorite colors -- please let me know, is this Tacky or Worth Considering?

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 9.36.42 PM.png

Then I thought -- what if XPEL film came with a 15 to 30% tint -- could I just apply it over Red and tone the whole thing down a bit?

Anybody opinions on whether this second idea is possible and/or worth considering?

Thanks!

Ed

2. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

It looks strange to me.

3. ModelX

ModelX Member

I think it is fun and different.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

While you're at it, can you do a multi red to pearl white rendering, where the white reaches 100% at approximately the (horizontal) midpoint of the rear wheel?

5. customs

customs Member

Hi brianman, here's two 3/4 renderings, one red-on-gray and one red-on-white... things change radically depending on how the gradient is applied. These were the two that looked cleanest to my eye...

Ts.jpg

Ed

6. benemac

benemac Member

I like the red on gray more. Didn't know they could do this. Interesting.

7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

IMO, all the renderings so far make the car look dirty. The non-red portions are where dust and dirt accumulate. Maybe you should try inverting the colors? (Red on bottom/back, grey on top/front)

In any case, I've never seen a film that did this. Does such a thing actually exist?

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@customs
    I meant front to back (like your original rendering) just with the rear color "finishing" earlier. That said, these are neat too. Thanks for sharing!

@Gizmotoy
    I don't think the red top white bottom makes the car look dirty. In fact, the silver trim near the battery pan vanishes nicely in the 2nd picture of post #5.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I suppose it probably depends where you're from. My previous red cars have always looked exactly like that red/white picture when dirty in the winter (coated in salt). (See: Dirty Model S thread - Pics: Dirty Model S - Page 3)

10. customs

customs Member

Here go, both of them are definitely an unusual look!

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 10.44.45 PM.png

Ed

11. customs

customs Member

From the research I've done on Vinyl Wrap, you can print anything on it, including gradations of transparency. So I was thinking you could clear XPEL the hood, then use a vinyl wrap that's printed "clear" at the front of the car, transitioning to solid gray at the rear/bottom of the car.

My second thought was to use a "tinted XPEL" (if such a thing exists) over an entire red car to tone it down a bit from "fire engine red".

My latest thought is whether classy red pinstripes on a gray exterior would add a little sparkle; I did a quick rendering of this idea below, but the curved line doesn't look quite right to me... open to ideas!

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 11.19.01 PM.png

Ed

- - - Updated - - -

Here go, it's interesting to say the least!

Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 10.44.45 PM.png

Ed