Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Exterior color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirming my car next week. Still some thoughts on color:

Multi-coat red: my current chooce. Not seen live...
Multi-coat ebony white: second choice.
Black: like the look but hate keeping black cars clean. Also seen loads od threads on swirls and watermarks. Seems the soft paint and black will be a pain so. nope.
green: never liked
brown: not a chance
silver: very easy to keep clean. Have a titansilver X5 and lovely to keep clean. Even aftwr two weeks it still look ok...
white: probably ok option. My 1M was white and also a pain to keep clean...
gray: seen live. Dont like as I think its to discrete and dont really show the S in the best way
blue: seems to look ok. Not the favo color.
Signature red: dont like. To dark red.

So in a core its red or ebony white for me. Any thoughts?

Have had my MC Red for a few weeks and love it. My prior 2 cars were silver. This red gives you a different color car each day, depending upon the light conditions. It's a beautiful shade of red - not too bright, but also brighter than the more garnet color of the signature model. Of course, it's an extremely personal decision, and there are plenty of folks who will tell you to not get the red.

i had Opticoat put on mine, and love the results. I posted a video in the " videos" forum.

i never saw the white color, so can't comment on that.

Any color can and will have swirl marks, not just black. It's the paint they use that causes this.

Black is no 'harder' to maintain than any other color. Wash the car once a week, just like I would with any other color. No biggie.

But with color it's personal, so just get what you want--everyone here will have their own opinion.

All that matters is what you think when it comes to color.

No swirls here...
7922A365-B6C4-4319-8A5E-D417CCFD7D5E-6058-000003C004DAE4E0_zpsbe2d63e1.jpg

Last edited:
But with color it's personal, so just get what you want--everyone here will have their own opinion.

All that matters is what you think when it comes to color.

^^^Texex91 comments should be posted as a stickie!

Fortunate to live in Tesla heartland and have been able to see every color offering in person, in a showroom, outside, various lighting conditions etc.

I've concluded that this has actually made it more difficult to make a color decision than buying sight unseen :0

When it does time for me to order, will just go with the the gut feeling at that time as the model S looks stunning in any color its dressed in!

Colour was one of the last things we were able to decide on. Early on my husband and I went through a number of discussions about which paint to choose:
  • Multi-coat red - initially my top choice, but after careful examination in the showroom, I decided I didn't like the way it looked with the heavy chrome accents (the Model S will be the most heavily-chromed vehicle I've ever owned).
  • White and multi-coat white - our current Escape Hybrid 4x4 is white, and in our local environment spends most of its time a muddy brown.
  • Silver/black - seemed too "middle-of-the-road"...pretty, but not a lot of character. Though we do share the running joke that "black makes it faster".
  • Brown - right out. Neither one of us is particularly interested in "earth tones". That said, some friends we took to the showroom yesterday, when asked which colour they'd order, immediately and unequivocally chose brown (w/tan leather & obeche matte).
  • Dark grey - my motorcycle is dark grey metallic, and I do like the colour, but the shade Tesla uses seemed too light when I saw it in person. Had it been a little darker I think we would have ordered it.
  • Blue - this is a really great blue, but for some reason neither of us was interested in it. It may have been a bit of backlash; other manufacturers are making an awful lot of blue EVs these days.
  • Green - this was his first choice, and originally, my last. I thought it was too dark to be clearly green, and too muddy to be a good black. But after seeing them in the wild, my opinion changed. In bright sun it's a dark British Racing Green, and in overcast or at night it goes straight to black with a bit of green in the highlights. It's a lot better looking outside than it is in the showroom for some reason.

Of all the decisions you'll make on your order, the colour depends only on your tastes; there aren't any technical or mechanical considerations to take into account (well, except that black makes it faster). And realistically, you're not limited to the options Tesla provides; later on you can have your car wrapped or repainted to exactly what you want.

Colour was one of the last things we were able to decide on. Early on my husband and I went through a number of discussions about which paint to choose:
  • Brown - right out. Neither one of us is particularly interested in "earth tones". That said, some friends we took to the showroom yesterday, when asked which colour they'd order, immediately and unequivocally chose brown (w/tan leather & obeche matte).
Just wanted to relate our experience. We visited the Seattle sales room and did the test drive, etc. We sat down looking at the colors and my wife thought the brown was the most interesting. We grabbed the color board and took it outside. That was when we were convinced it was the right color to do. The sales guy said that he thought most people were against the brown because they hadn't seen it outside in the light.

We've had red, silver, black, white, etc. but never brown, so thought that it would be interesting to try something different.

So, we will see in about 3 weeks if we made the right choice.

p.s. Living in Utah, I still have not seen one single MS in the wild. The Denver DS said that we weren't over 100 in Utah yet, but getting up there.

Glad I was able to be of assistance! I don't think you will regret it. The red also looks great with the dark wheels, cuts down a little on the chrome effect.

I think i will need to wrap some of those chrome. Blacked out my 1M. A bit allergic to chrome and that is a detail i dont like on the Tesla. ;-) wonder what would look best on a MC red... Black I guess?